Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46
  1. #1 NBA player Jason Collins comes out as gay 
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    9,975
    Why NBA center Jason Collins is coming out now

    This story appears in the May 6, 2013, issue of Sports Illustrated.

    I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay.

    I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation. I wish I wasn't the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, "I'm different." If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand.

    My journey of self-discovery and self-acknowledgement began in my hometown of Los Angeles and has taken me through two state high school championships, the NCAA Final Four and the Elite Eight, and nine playoffs in 12 NBA seasons....

    ...I realized I needed to go public when Joe Kennedy, my old roommate at Stanford and now a Massachusetts congressman, told me he had just marched in Boston's 2012 Gay Pride Parade. I'm seldom jealous of others, but hearing what Joe had done filled me with envy. I was proud of him for participating but angry that as a closeted gay man I couldn't even cheer my straight friend on as a spectator. If I'd been questioned, I would have concocted half truths. What a shame to have to lie at a celebration of pride. I want to do the right thing and not hide anymore. I want to march for tolerance, acceptance and understanding. I want to take a stand and say, "Me, too."

    Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mag...#ixzz2RsPfjTYR
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member Generation Why?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Thurston County, WA
    Posts
    709
    Just a matter of time. Liked the way he went about it. Best of luck to hike on the rest of his career.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. Ayn Rand

    Power Point Ranger
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,155
    Back in the day people had the decency to keep their perversions under wraps. I guess those days are over :(
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Mark Levin was rather disappointing on this subject tonight. It seems his objection was that he had never heard of this player and that Collins only scores 2 pts per game. It seemed a bit petty.

    I would be a liar if I didn't confess that I also wish it had been someone better known and better looking. Peja Stojakovic perhaps.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,155
    It's bad enough he came out(his choice) but what does the fact that he's black have to do with it? Are whites the only one's who are gay?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member LukeEDay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Happy Valley
    Posts
    2,056
    The MSM is going nuts over this. They are all applauding him for it. I'm not sure what the being black comment has to do with anything? There are a lot of people in pro sports who are gay. Look for them to come out now that he did. It won't be long until you see separate showers for the players here.

    I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeEDay View Post
    The MSM is going nuts over this. They are all applauding him for it. I'm not sure what the being black comment has to do with anything? There are a lot of people in pro sports who are gay. Look for them to come out now that he did. It won't be long until you see separate showers for the players here.
    According to black men, there is some kind of special reason to be in the closet due to the social expectations of their community. I think it has something to do with the fact that there is a perception that "good black men" are hard to find, and it makes it seem like way too many of them are gay .... or something like that.

    As I understand it, pro-athletes already have private showers. I think that's part of these new stadiums the taxpayers get stuck for. I think that "locker room" you always see in the background is the moral equivalent of a set.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member txradioguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bavaria
    Posts
    7,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Generation Why? View Post
    Just a matter of time. Liked the way he went about it. Best of luck to hike on the rest of his career.
    His contract ended last week. His career is done. Hence the reason he made the announcement.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

    Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

    To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

    The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,155
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    His contract ended last week. His career is done. Hence the reason he made the announcement.
    Real courage right? lol

    I bet if this homo was 25 and looking at a big fat contract his mouth would have been shut lol
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    According to black men, there is some kind of special reason to be in the closet due to the social expectations of their community. I think it has something to do with the fact that there is a perception that "good black men" are hard to find, and it makes it seem like way too many of them are gay .... or something like that.

    As I understand it, pro-athletes already have private showers. I think that's part of these new stadiums the taxpayers get stuck for. I think that "locker room" you always see in the background is the moral equivalent of a set.


    There's also a lot of hatred for gays among black male youth. There was a gang here a while back that pulled a gay man off the bus and beat him badly.

    It's better for prominent gays to be out-if not, they are then at the mercy of whoever finds out they are gay. That could be other gays who want money or something or it could be some vicious female wanting to bank on a famous name through blackmailing the man into marriage.

    On a related note, Monica Conyers was released from federal prison recently.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •