Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Really dumb gay activists 
    Power CUer
    The Department of Education has made a big change: recognizing unmarried same-sex couples as parents for the purposes of deciding on financial aid for their kids. Gay rights activists are happy, but that may be because they're not doing the math. You decide.

Gay-Rights Advocates Describe Fafsa Changes as Progress Toward Equality

Gay-rights advocates said on Tuesday that changes in the Education Department's student-aid form represented a step forward in equality for same-sex couples.

Secretary of Education Arne Duncan announced on Monday that, starting in 2014-15, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid would count the income and assets of potential borrowers' legal parents in the calculation of students' need, regardless of the parents' gender or marital status, if the parents lived together. Under the changes, unmarried opposite-sex couples who live together would be included, for example, as well as same-sex couples.

Shane L. Windmeyer, the founder and executive director of Campus Pride, said that the decision would allow same-sex couples to be "validated" in the financial-aid process and that it showed the Education Department recognizes "there are more families than just heterosexual couples."

Currently, the form, known as the Fafsa, collects financial information from only one parent if the parents are unmarried or are in a same-sex relationship.

"The changes are small, but they speak volumes to the cultural change and progress that the LGBT community has made over time," Mr. Windmeyer said.

Brian Moulton, legal director of the Human Rights Campaign, said he was happy to see the changes in the form recognize the "reality of the family situation."
    So, let's get this straight (so to speak). Up until now, only one gay parent's income has been counted when a teen applies for financial aid using the FAFSA computerized form. This means that children of gays and lesbians have actually had an advantage in getting financial aid because their parents' relationship or marriage is not recognized by the Federal government, and only one parent's income was counted.

Now, the Department of Education will count the income of both gay parents, regardless of whether or not their relationship is recognized. This means--correct me if I'm wrong--that children of gays and lesbians will actually have less of a chance of getting financial aid since their FAFSA form will reflect a higher "family" income.

So the price of "validation" is less financial aid for your kid. Way to go, gay activists. The HRC should be fighting this tooth and nail, but they're cheering it on. It supports my general thesis that the gay marriage fight is mostly about feelings and not about anything tangible. Either that, or the gay activists don't have college-bound kids.
    Last edited by Elspeth; 05-01-2013 at 07:58 PM.

The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

I am really glad now they are bringing more suffering down on their kids heads, I mean it was tough enough to deal with the shame of having gay parents now you aren't getting any breaks as well lol
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Wow, with how smart those liberals claim to be, you would think that they would have figured that out .. Haha..

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    T
    So the price of "validation" is less financial aid for your kid. Way to go, gay activists. The HRC should be fighting this tooth and nail, but they're cheering it on. It supports my general thesis that the gay marriage fight is mostly about feelings and not about anything tangible. Either that, or the gay activists don't have college-bound kids.
    I keep telling people that unless they have a really good reason to get married it could be the dumbest thing they choose to do. Any gay couple which owns a business or anticipates the possibility of bankruptcy would be foolish not to load all their debt on to one of the parties and keep the other one clean for recovery. Of course, this applies to heterosexuals as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I keep telling people that unless they have a really good reason to get married it could be the dumbest thing they choose to do. Any gay couple which owns a business or anticipates the possibility of bankruptcy would be foolish not to load all their debt on to one of the parties and keep the other one clean for recovery. Of course, this applies to heterosexuals as well.
    And anyone who owns a business would be stupid to make it a sole proprietorship. Form an LLC, LLP, or Inc.. Then they wouldn't have to worry about dumping all the debt from it on one of the 'other' party.
    Last edited by LukeEDay; 05-01-2013 at 09:17 PM.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeEDay View Post
    And anyone who owns a business would be stupid to make it a sole proprietorship. Form an LLC, LLP, or Inc.. Then they wouldn't have to worry about dumping all the debt from it on one of the 'other' party.
    Wouldn't that depend on the amount of income they expect to make and the general liability of their enterprise? I thinkn the bottom line remains that it's not a good idea to tell the government or Equifax who your financial partner is.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeEDay View Post
    Wow, with how smart those liberals claim to be, you would think that they would have figured that out .. Haha..
    Liberals suck at math. How do you think we keep getting the budgets we've been getting?

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Liberals suck at math. How do you think we keep getting the budgets we've been getting?
    Truth right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    The reason to get married is to provide a stable, permanent environment for raising children. If you value anything above the welfare of your children, then you aren't ready for marriage.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!