Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16
  1. #11  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    The reason to get married is to provide a stable, permanent environment for raising children. If you value anything above the welfare of your children, then you aren't ready for marriage.
    If the purpose of getting married is to provide a stable permanent environment for raising kids then it is a failure about half of the time. That is unless you consider divorce and custody a form of stability and permanence.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Senior Member dixierat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Out in the sticks
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    If the purpose of getting married is to provide a stable permanent environment for raising kids then it is a failure about half of the time. That is unless you consider divorce and custody a form of stability and permanence.
    True, Nova, but there is no evidence that gays will provide a greater degree of stability that I am aware of. If a gay couple has adopted a child and then splits, who gets the child? Who pays to support the child?

    The better question from this conservatives point of view is why is the government involved with marriage at all? Is not marriage a religious institution?
    When I was a kid, we were the United States of America, Land of the Free and Home of the Brave. Now, we're America, Land of the Sheep and Home of the Naïve.

    Live each day as if you're going to die tomorrow. Learn each day as if you'll live forever.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    If the purpose of getting married is to provide a stable permanent environment for raising kids then it is a failure about half of the time. That is unless you consider divorce and custody a form of stability and permanence.
    So, your argument is that because not all marriages succeed (thanks to previous "reforms")), we should expand the definition to include even more fundamentally unstable relationships, thus guaranteeing a greater rate of failure? Not sure that I find your logic compelling, although it is consistent with your hostility to societal norms that don't advance your agenda.

    Sic hacer pace, para bellum.
    Sent from my android.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    9,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    If the purpose of getting married is to provide a stable permanent environment for raising kids then it is a failure about half of the time. That is unless you consider divorce and custody a form of stability and permanence.
    Not all marriages are equally unstable. Practicing Christians have lower rates of divorce than the society in general:

    US Divorce Rates for Various Faiths

    Denomination (in order of decreasing divorce rate)

    % who have been divorced


    Non-denominational ** 34%
    Baptists 29%
    Mainline Protestants 25%
    Mormons 24%
    Catholics 21%
    Lutherans 21%

    The low rates among Catholics may have something to do with pre-marital counseling, which the Church requires before any marriage in a Catholic church:

    Premarital counseling reduces divorce risk

    USA Today: Premarital Education could cut divorce rate, survey finds

    Why Premarital Counseling Matters
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    SEAduced SuperMod Hawkgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    4,057
    The law of unintended consequence rears it's ugly head....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Sin City Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    16,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    The reason to get married is to provide a stable, permanent environment for raising children. If you value anything above the welfare of your children, then you aren't ready for marriage.
    Now that is just crazy talk.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •