Thread: I joined the Y

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 I joined the Y 
    I signed my daughter up for summer camp at our local Y yesterday. In order to get a better rate, I had to sign up for membership...which pays for itself.

I went to the gym for years, before I had my daughter, and never went back.

I hate gyms, I hate the smells, I hate the dumb guys, and the girls who just go to be stared at..never breaking a sweat.

The Y seems different...the people seem normal. I may actually like going back to the gym, even though my reason for joining was to get a better rate..lol...but maybe it will be good for me. I'm looking forward to using the pools with my daughter and swimming lessons are included in my daughter's summer camp. I want to get back into swimming laps.

I joined up with the Family plan so my kid can sign up for sports teams and the like.

I haven't worked out in nearly 4 years...my out of shape ass is going to be cursing me out when I get back into it. I'm not that fat, but I have lost all my muscle tone.

Good for you, Hawk.......

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

^ I hope not.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    I signed my daughter up for summer camp at our local Y yesterday. In order to get a better rate, I had to sign up for membership...which pays for itself.

I went to the gym for years, before I had my daughter, and never went back.

I hate gyms, I hate the smells, I hate the dumb guys, and the girls who just go to be stared at..never breaking a sweat.

The Y seems different...the people seem normal. I may actually like going back to the gym, even though my reason for joining was to get a better rate..lol...but maybe it will be good for me. I'm looking forward to using the pools with my daughter and swimming lessons are included in my daughter's summer camp. I want to get back into swimming laps.

I joined up with the Family plan so my kid can sign up for sports teams and the like.

I haven't worked out in nearly 4 years...my out of shape ass is going to be cursing me out when I get back into it. I'm not that fat, but I have lost all my muscle tone.
    If you do free weights, go with very low weights and very high reps, to start. You'll tone up quickly and you won't bulk up. You will be hurting after the first workout, so make sure that you leave yourself a couple of days to recover. Eventually, you'll work out every other day at most, alternating with cardio. Don't overdo it, and you will be fine.

BTW, if they have a pool, you can do a great cardio routine by walking laps. Pushing against the water is zero impact, but it's harder than simply walking. Enjoy.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Sounds like a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post

She is pretty, but no, that's not the look I'm going for.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    If you do free weights, go with very low weights and very high reps, to start. You'll tone up quickly and you won't bulk up. You will be hurting after the first workout, so make sure that you leave yourself a couple of days to recover. Eventually, you'll work out every other day at most, alternating with cardio. Don't overdo it, and you will be fine.

BTW, if they have a pool, you can do a great cardio routine by walking laps. Pushing against the water is zero impact, but it's harder than simply walking. Enjoy.
    What about just swimming laps, doesn't that burn more calories? When I first moved to Florida, all I did was swim, every day, or 6 days a week. Continuous laps for about 40 minutes. I was toned and fit. I also want to do some strength training with free weights and the machines.

I'd like to try a Zumba class and their yoga classes too...Back in the day I did Bikram yoga 3 times a week, basically it's yoga in 98 degree weather...oh man did you SWEAT! It felt awesome after. I followed it with some nonfat frozen yogurt for lunch after a morning class.

Man, a kid makes you a different person...I need to get back to that.

About Bikram yoga if anyone is interested. If I had a studio in my neighborhood, I'd get back into it in a heartbeat.

http://www.bikramyoga.com/BikramYoga...ikram_yoga.php

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    About Bikram yoga if anyone is interested. If I had a studio in my neighborhood, I'd get back into it in a heartbeat.

http://www.bikramyoga.com/BikramYoga...ikram_yoga.php
    I have friends that did something similar but it was called "hot yoga."