Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I was also concerned the system be moveable in case we do again. It's a shame, this guy
    did a good job with the demo but the company/distributorship he works for seems
    questionable. I don't like calling the number on his print material and getting the
    "number not in service" message. With the dickering on "deals" the system was gonna
    run 5K installed. That also included all kinds of special soaps to work with the "magic" water...

I love Florida and sifting thru all the scams and such. I'm pretty sure this product was legit,
    but the Dist/company??? Well that's a water of a different wetness.

The system looks like the one marv posted.
    May the FORCE be with you!

We've been using Kinetico for about 15 years now. Theres an outside unit(s) that treats the whole house and a reverse osmosis deal (2 filters and a small tank) under the sink. It doesn't use electricity but the outside thing does take salt crystals. We love it. A neighbor across the way from us has one shes been using for over 30 years.

--------------------------------------

One thing I read about Kinetico: "The major difference between all the softeners you list is that the Kinetico is a twin resin tank softener and all the others are single resin tank softeners. Another difference is that the Kinetico requires no electricity and that saves you a little $$$ off your electric bill.

That difference means that the Kinetico will provide soft water 24/7 and regenerate at exactly the instant it is required day or night or in the middle of a shower. It switches service from one resin tank to the other. For that reason the Kinetico is very efficient in it's water and salt use.

Single resin tank designs regenerate using a "mathematical guestimate" with a # of reserve gallons added in and usually at 2AM. Some feel that there's no reason for soft water 24/7 but many say why not?" - Source

And as another person noted: "... when deciding on a water treatment system. You don't buy one of these to last 4-6-or ten years, you want it to last 20-30 years basically trouble free. And then if you DO need to fix it, it can last another 20 years. That is a consumer who looks at value more than price.

---------------------------------------

We looked around for a while and my hubby noted at the time that Dean Johnson from the Hometime tv series and Norm Abram from New Yankee Workshop recommended Kinetico. So we gave it a try and it seems to work fine for the Florida water here.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

Quote Originally Posted by ReinMan View Post
    The 'magic' is some form of de-ionization, or reverse osmosis purification. It makes the water 'wetter' by reducing surface tension, same as soap does...
    Yep.

The reality is that most of these "purification" systems don't really do a whole lot of actual purifying. If you want that, I can easily build you a still for under $500 that will give you about the purest water you can possibly get. With the remaining $4500, you can fly me down there and find me a nice hotel on a beach filled with pretty women in bikinis for a week or so while I build the thing for you. What they do instead is counter the actions of one mineral dissolved in the water (often limestone) with another mineral dissolved in the water (some form of salt, and I mean "salt" in the chemical term, not the stuff you sprinkle on your food). AFAIK, they all pretty much depend upon some form of ionization to do what they do, which is fine, but you're not really getting water that is any more pure; in fact, it's probably less pure when all is said and done.

Personally, I can't stand soft water. I lived with it for three years living in North Carolina, and nothing infuriated me more than having to scrub the soap back off of myself in the shower, and my hair always felt like I had not managed to rinse the shampoo out of it. Furthermore, I didn't find the taste all that appealing. I'll gladly stick with my Nashville tapwater: so long as there aren't too many dangerous microbes in it and no heavy metals nor any particularly high concentrations of pesticides or something like that, then I'm plenty happy with it. Nashville has some of the hardest water in the country, and I have never once had any of the alleged problems with hard water that people claim. We may have had a water heater or two maybe one or two years before their nominal service life, but you're talking about an amortized cost of about 78˘ over the lifetime of the unit, so who the hell cares? Never had a dishwasher problem, never had a washing machine problem.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

WTF century is it?

Turn on spigot, place glass under spigot, drink water. Done.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    Yep.

The reality is that most of these "purification" systems don't really do a whole lot of actual purifying. If you want that, I can easily build you a still for under $500 that will give you about the purest water you can possibly get. With the remaining $4500, you can fly me down there and find me a nice hotel on a beach filled with pretty women in bikinis for a week or so while I build the thing for you.
    Send us your available dates...

Like I said on page 1, I think the water tastes fine and we are certainly not going with this company that was here Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    We've been using Kinetico for about 15 years now. Theres an outside unit(s) that treats the whole house and a reverse osmosis deal (2 filters and a small tank) under the sink. It doesn't use electricity but the outside thing does take salt crystals. We love it. A neighbor across the way from us has one shes been using for over 30 years.

--------------------------------------

Pretty much what I bought. I purchased from a local lady. I spent around $1500, she has been great.

I have an outside unit that uses salt, on top of a whole house filter before any water enters the home or water softener. When I first moved here, the whole house filter had not been changed for a long time, it weighed about thirty pounds, it was full of hard minerals and rust!

I also have reverse osmosis under both kitchen sinks. (there is an apt)

She is also very reasonable when it comes to changing the filters. It runs me around $100 a year.

I checked the prices at Home Depot, I'm getting a very good deal.

The saleslady is also the plumber! Her family is well known in our town and she is really nice, and does a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Pretty much what I bought. I purchased from a local lady. I spent around $1500, she has been great.

I have an outside unit that uses salt, on top of a whole house filter before any water enters the home or water softener. When I first moved here, the whole house filter had not been changed for a long time, it weighed about thirty pounds, it was full of hard minerals and rust!

I also have reverse osmosis under both kitchen sinks. (there is an apt)

She is also very reasonable when it comes to changing the filters. It runs me around $100 a year.

I checked the prices at Home Depot, I'm getting a very good deal.

The saleslady is also the plumber! Her family is well known in our town and she is really nice, and does a great job.
    Rob, if you have the reverse osmosis under the kitchen sinks, did they have to put an additional faucet by each sink? I was concerned with the company that came the other day. They said that they needed to install an additional faucet---and charged about $800 more for the sink unit. I'm concerned in installing that faucet, as they'd have to drill through the granite countertop. Who knows what type of installer they'd send out. I'd hate to have the countertop cracked. Also, there's no room for another faucet.

If you don't have that under sink unit, is there a problem with too salty drinking water?
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

I would only suggest a whole house water treatment system if your water quality issue(s) is manifesting itself in more ways than just taste (e.g. water fixtures like shower heads gumming up, etc.) because such systems are typically not low maintenance. If it's simply a matter of taste, then a simple Brita type fixture is probably all you need. If you have hard water problems affecting components throughout your home's plumbing system, then I would concur with those here who recommend purchasing a "reverse osmosis" type of unit(s) and make your selection with the level of maintenance required in mind.

You can rest assured that my advice is perfect and should be heeded above all others because I am always right. Just ask my wife and ignore her reply.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

OMG!!! I'm so shocked!!!! The ticket I mailed in for the $1000 in free coupons we could use at Publix...

It got returned today as the company is no longer there!!!! I can't believe it!!!

A water treatment company in Florida that turned out to be a scam!!!! Who would have guessed!!!!