1. #1 I'm GEEKING out about this movie 

Am I too much of a sci-fi nerd to know pretty much every scene in this trailer as it corresponds to the book?
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

I am not liking how they just had to put a black woman in there to "diversify" the movie. God i hope PC has not destroyed this movie so few good ones ever come out anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    I am not liking how they just had to put a black woman in there to "diversify" the movie. God i hope PC has not destroyed this movie so few good ones ever come out anymore.
    Maybe they also picked her because she's a good actress?

The special effects look pretty awesome, and the casting overall is good.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Maybe they also picked her because she's a good actress?
    Hmm.. yes. Unfortunately so many jobs are lost today because the applicant wasnt the right color (never mind being better qualified) the whole thing is easy to call into question. Our leaderless country now, proudly perverts everything. And dont you dare disagree.

And as if that wasnt bad enough the fish is rotting from the head now.

Many call this 'diversity'. I like to call this whole mess (PC, multiculturalism, affirmative action) 'perversity'.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    Hmm.. yes. Unfortunately so many jobs are lost today because the applicant wasnt the right color (never mind being better qualified) the whole thing is easy to call into question. Our leaderless country now, proudly perverts everything. And dont you dare disagree.

And as if that wasnt bad enough the fish is rotting from the head now.

Many call this 'diversity'. I like to call this whole mess (PC, multiculturalism, affirmative action) 'perversity'.

Well, then boycott the movie. This is no big deal. They chose a black actress to play a role. I don't know the book or the story, so I don't know if that is a major blow to the plot or anything, but if the character's race is irrelevant to the plot, who cares if the actress is black, white, asian or whatever? Didn't the actress in question win an Oscar a couple of years ago for The Help?

Hollywood always massacres fans' favorite books for the movie version. No one is ever happy with the end product when their favorite book is made into a movie. Most directors other than Brannaugh cut out whole subplots from Shakespeare's plays (Fortinbras isn't really that important, I guess). Neil Jordan cut out the whole bisexual aspect of the Vampire Lestat in order to get Tom Cruise to play the character in the movie. My niece complains about the movie version of The Hunger Games not being true to the book. Fanboys get all worked up about how Game of Thrones the HBO series departs from George Martins' books.

That's why we should never give up our books or our ability to imagine the characters, scenes and all in our own heads. Nobody else's version is ever going to be as good as the one you imagine when reading the books.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Well, then boycott the movie. This is no big deal. They chose a black actress to play a role. I don't know the book or the story, so I don't know if that is a major blow to the plot or anything, but if the character's race is irrelevant to the plot, who cares if the actress is black, white, asian or whatever? Didn't the actress in question win an Oscar a couple of years ago for The Help?

Hollywood always massacres fans' favorite books for the movie version. No one is ever happy with the end product when their favorite book is made into a movie. Most directors other than Brannaugh cut out whole subplots from Shakespeare's plays (Fortinbras isn't really that important, I guess). Neil Jordan cut out the whole bisexual aspect of the Vampire Lestat in order to get Tom Cruise to play the character in the movie. My niece complains about the movie version of The Hunger Games not being true to the book. Fanboys get all worked up about how Game of Thrones the HBO series departs from George Martins' books.

That's why we should never give up our books or our ability to imagine the characters, scenes and all in our own heads. Nobody else's version is ever going to be as good as the one you imagine when reading the books.

The character in question was a white man

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Holy shit!!! I loved that book, one of the few I've read a couple of times.

Looks good!
    May the FORCE be with you!

This is one of the few books that I can read (or listen to its audio book version) over and over again.