Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Rave: AAA Auto Repair 
    I had my first experience with AAA Auto Repair today. Ive been a AAA member for a couple of years but have not needed to use any of their services thankfully. I have used their travel services.

I just had my car into the dealership for some major issues about a month ago so I was not in the mood to see them again. I decided that since this problem was relatively small and I knew exactly what needed to be done (motor mounts needed replaced), I would give AAA a try.

There is a AAA Auto Repair shop about five miles from my house. There are other auto repair places in between my apartment and AAA, some even AAA-approved, but I thought I might get better service with AAA directly since they have a reputation to uphold.

So, I called them up at 7 this morning and explained the problem. They said it would be no problem to replace the parts needed.

Not expecting to get in until tomorrow at the earliest, I asked, When is the earliest I can get in?

The service advisor said, We have plenty of slots. Come in anytime. Just ask for me.

I get over there about 20 minutes later and meet the service advisor. He sits me down in his office, taps away at the computer, lists off each part needed and the cost, labor cost, etc. With my AAA membership I got a 10 percent discount on labor, plus I had a $5 off coupon.

I received a printed estimate without asking.

I asked what time he thought the work might be complete. He told me around 4:30 or 5 this afternoon. Thats about what I was expecting.

They have a free shuttle, so I was able to get a ride to work without having to harass someone else. While in the waiting area, I noticed two other women there having their cars worked on as well. This was comforting to me. I loathe having to get my car fixed because I always feel like the service advisors are speaking to me in a foreign language and I generally feel like shit at the end of the day after having to argue over unnecessary repairs and charges.

At 10:30, I received a call from my service advisor letting me know the work was complete and I could pick up my car at any time. I was stunned.

A co-worker and I moseyed back over to the repair shop to pick up my vehicle. Runs much better now.
    This has been absolutely one of the best car repair experiences I have ever had. I know AAA has a good reputation, but damn. Im in love.

Good for you, Jen. Money well spent. I know Shannon (I think) used to have AAA years ago but we don't now (and I never did). But I did get the Roadside Assistance thing on my cell phone plan and have had to use it probably 4 times in the last several years. It only costs us 2.99 a month but considering what it would've cost me without having that service, well, yeah...well worth the expense.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Congrats on the positive experience. Took me a couple tries before I found the "honest mechanic" in my area. And I know what they're talking about (most of the time).

OT: A few days ago I thought I saw a + sign next to your name in the who's online section. You were the only one that had it. I just figured you were some kind of special poster but it's gone now.
    Be Not Afraid.

gator
    I had a good experience at the AAA office today also.

I needed a passport photo to renew my Concealed Weapons Permit.

They took great care of me at the office. The photos were cheap and I was out in 10 minutes.

Excellent to hear they did a good fix-up job for you. Reputation is P1 with AAA. :)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Congrats on the positive experience. Took me a couple tries before I found the "honest mechanic" in my area. And I know what they're talking about (most of the time).

OT: A few days ago I thought I saw a + sign next to your name in the who's online section. You were the only one that had it. I just figured you were some kind of special poster but it's gone now.
    A plus sign? Is this a new CU feature--pregnancy tests?

Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    A plus sign? Is this a new CU feature--pregnancy tests?
    Ha. We were told CU was going to have some new features, so, maybe. Congrats on getting some action but I guess it was a false positive.

I'm getting a screen shot next time I see it. No way was I hallucinating. :D

Sorry for the threadjack.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Ha. We were told CU was going to have some new features, so, maybe. Congrats on getting some action but I guess it was a false positive.

I'm getting a screen shot next time I see it. No way was I hallucinating. :D

Sorry for the threadjack.
    No problem on the threadjack. It's my thread. BTW, did you see the latest standing in Fantasy Baseball? :p

Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    No problem on the threadjack. It's my thread. BTW, did you see the latest standing in Fantasy Baseball? :p
    This thread's all over the place. :D

And no because I thought I had my roster in place for a while but I just looked and Holy Crap.

I was a few points behind wiggum and looking to go into first this week but I just took a 6.5 hit to his 8 point gain in one day. Now I'm knocked down to fourth, BEHIND YOU, no less. This is tragic. Everyone knows you don't have to win outright, just make sure you finish ahead of jen. :p
    Be Not Afraid.

Banned
    Good for you. I dread taking my car for repair because I have been ripped off several times; it's like going to the dentist.

Thanks for providing the info; might check into AAA.