1. #1 Why do people watch things like the Arias murder trial? 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Yes, it's Parrot Breath again!!!

Wed May 8, 2013, 05:03 PM
    nadinbrzezinski

Why do people watch things like the Arias murder trial?

And why the networks cover this?

I admit, I could care less, but having been in the news bidnezz for a while, I am starting to get it. This is a sociological explanation.

The murder itself was horrific, her lies to get out of it, were also horrific. People identify with the victim, and want revenge on the victim. Ok, we call it justice and it might be justice.

The case itself is very complex. Don't ask me to even try to summarize because as I said I could care less, but it comes down to a very simplistic view, which is easy to understand. Somebody was killed, we have this person who did it, and we want justice. The details do not matter.

But, but this will not change your life? Correct, like most entertainment it will not. This is a morality play, that is easy to understand. On the other hand, I gotta write this afternoon a story on our local fire boards. Now that one is complex, with multiple parts to the puzzle, and it is not black and white.

Gets worst, legislation at the state or federal level, again, no clear winners or losers, and usually they are complex, so unless you can appeal to emotions, such as the ACA, people really do not get it. Part of it, is the news media, be critical of it for a while. And one reason is that these stories are complex and take research to get them, and at times we don't get them fully.

But a murder... it becomes a morality play "Justice is being done." See, do not do this... and it becomes a simplistic thing to do.

But somebody asked here earlier, it's not just ratings. This is a really easy story to tell at this stage of the game, very easy. And it is something the reader, or the audience also gets... why people watch and care about this.

Once you understand this, it also explains why the press tends to bleed it leads. In skeleton news rooms I can tell that story... with just a few reporters... but the more complex stories... you need time, and you need effort, and you need to go look at info, from everywhere at times. Here is one for ya, many TV stations send must videographers to the field to cover the less important shit. They do not have the cub reporters any more to send them to the less important shit. This is how skeleton things are.

So this is why the Arias murder verdict is a gimme for the media. It is a really easy story to tell.
    She doesn't care at all!!! It's shocking how much she cares about not caring!!!
    zappaman gets in a few good shots as do others...

May the FORCE be with you!

Where there's smoke there's fire. Where there's nads there's zappaman. Too funny.

However, this is the best exchange in the thread:

nadinbrzezinski

60. Have you ever, in your life, read of meta analysis?

Don't think so...
    obliviously

75. I've never meta analysis I didn't like!
    LMAO.
    Be Not Afraid.

I was watching the trial because Juan Menendez alone was tons of fun to watch. He was so mean to her and the "domestic violence" expert. I love watching him work. I wish there was a way to see more of his cases in the future.

I have no idea how they could possibly claim self-defense.

She says she was his victim. However, he spoke about being afraid of her. She followed him three thousand miles to come see him when she killed him. Sounds like he was the victim the entire time.

Now, let's suppose that after she followed him three thousand miles and he expressed fear of her, that he actually is the one who started the fight between those two. You don't need to stab somebody twenty-seven times, slit their throat, and shoot them. lol. Honestly, I don't understand why that took fifteen hours of deliberation. There's no way it was self-defense. I'm thinking the argument might have came down to second or first degree murder. Menendez tried to argue it's first degree even if you know seconds ahead of time what you want to do. I can't help but think that's more of second degree murder. However, there were so many other pieces of evidence suggesting it was planned.

So, I agree that we shouldn't necessarily give so much attention to somebody like Arias, but that was so much fun to watch. When the defense was up there, I wasn't as interested.

Power CUer
    I haven't seen any of this and don't know what it's about. Basically, if Nancy Grace is enthralled with something, I figure it's safe to ignore.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

One of my coworkers totally believed that Jodi killed the man in self-defense. I don't believe the claim, but my coworker in question is just a really nice person and I think she looks at Jodi and sees her as someone her daughter's age and all.

I personally think that Jodi should receive the following sentence: for the rest of her life, she has to be Amanda Knox's roommate. I suspect she wouldn't live all that long.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I haven't seen any of this and don't know what it's about. Basically, if Nancy Grace is enthralled with something, I figure it's safe to ignore.

Me too...When they went live for the verdict on the radio, I was in a convenience store. I asked who/what was all that about, and the clerk was borderline offended.