Hybrid View

1. #1 “Sexist” Mother’s Day “Insulting To Women”… 
    Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Viewpoint: Is Mother’s Day Sexist? — TIME
    It’s the time of year when we celebrate mothers and — about a month later — fathers. But the way we view each holiday reveals a lot about the growing gap between cultural gender stereotypes and the reality of most families’ day-to-day lives.

How do we celebrate Mother’s Day? Well, it’s Mom’s day off. This is the day she does no cooking, no cleaning and, of course, no childcare. She is brought breakfast in bed and taken out to a restaurant. Cards abound that show women soaking in bubble baths, sipping wine, reading books with their feet up. Mother’s Day is the one day she doesn’t have to be a mother, a job for which she is on duty the other 364 days.

The other half of this image is the hapless father, trying to take her place for that one day. You know — breakfast in bed is served, but the mother is already imagining the disaster in the kitchen, with pancake batter all over the floor and dishes mounted in the sink. Dad is clueless, and dresses the kids in striped shirts and plaid shorts. (To take just one example: “For my Wife, on Mother’s Day. You just relax. I’ll take care of everything,” one card reads. The cover shows a guy in sports jersey holding out a flower. Open it up and it says, “By the way, where is everything? Happy Mother’s Day!”)

Other messages in Mother’s Day and Father’s Day cards also reinforce sex stereotypes. Moms are thanked for the hugs, for drying the tears, for “always being there.” Dads, though, tend to be thanked as role models and individuals to look up to. A typical Hallmark Father’s Day card reads, “Integrity. Respect. Honor. I learned these things from you.”

Of course, there is not a thing wrong with children saying thank you for all those cuddles and comfort, or for expressing gratitude for models of strength and responsibility. These are all lovely sentiments. The question is: why in 2013, are we still dividing all these traits by gender? It’s insulting to both women and men and it has less and less to do with contemporary American families. Dads can be nurturers. Moms can be role models. Many, of course, already are.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Moms and Dads nurture in different ways. This might be because they also happen to be different sexes.

What happens on Father's Day when the car won't start, or the kitchen sink plugs up?

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

And once again the Liberals are trying to blur the line...as well as the differences...between the sexes.

"The bourgeois clap-trap about the family and education, about the hallowed co-relation of parents and child, becomes all the more disgusting, the more, by the action of Modern Industry, all the family ties among the proletarians are torn asunder, and their children transformed into simple articles of commerce and instruments of labour." - Karl Marx The Communist Manifesto Chapter 2
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

My office had a Mother's Day lunch yesterday-it is done to celebrate all women, not just those who are mothers. We do the same for men/Father's Day, we just don't have all that many men working here.

I don't think it's sexist.

When my sibs and I were kids, we used to always ask our parents why there wasn't a "children's day". My mom would say "every day is children's day".

I think Arbor Day is mapleist. They don't give a fair shake to pines or oaks on Arbor Day.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    I think Arbor Day is mapleist. They don't give a fair shake to pines or oaks on Arbor Day.
    Didn't Rush do a song about that?

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Didn't Rush do a song about that?
    It wouldn't surprise me if Shanklin had done something along those lines. He's done so many that I can't keep up.

Still my all-time Shanklin favorite:

Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.