Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yeah... because a holiday made to celebrate women is totally insulting to women. Makes perfect sense.

Next they are going to call Black History Month racist against blacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    If you check further down in her article:

So, I guess Mother's Day" is "heterosexist" if you have 2 dads.

I'm guessing it's not mothers that are pushing the "Mother's Day is Sexist" agenda.
    Feminists want to have it both ways (and not just sexually). On the one hand, we are supposed to believe that women bring unique perspectives to things and that we must therefore have affirmative action programs in areas where they are not normally found in greater numbers, but on the other hand, we are not supposed to point out gender differences that might impact the left's egalitarian end states. If women don't go into the hard sciences or pursue physically hazardous jobs at the same rate as men, we must establish quotas and lower the standards, but if acknowledging that we have lowered the standards enrages the left. If women are more inclined to spend time with their children, to the detriment of careers, then we must convince men that they aren't nurturing enough, and must become more feminine in outlook. The neurotic androgeny has resulted in a culture of angry women who feel that men have let them down, and perpetual adolescents masquerading as men.

The left's skin-deep diversity assumes that people think differently because of their racial backgrounds, and they make the argument that the presence of certain racial or sexual groups changes the dynamics of a classroom or workplace, but what they don't get is that this is simply a variation on the arguments made by segregationists, who also believed that the dynamics of a group would change, the only difference being that they thought that it would be worse. The result of this pernicious nonsense is that we end up arguing over competing pseudo-studies (this one is a doozy: http://www.diversityweb.org/digest/sp99/benefits.html) instead of treating people as individuals. The difference between the current crop of diversity fetishists and the Bull Connors of the sixties is a matter of degree, not philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chex View Post
    Yeah... because a holiday made to celebrate women is totally insulting to women. Makes perfect sense.

Next they are going to call Black History Month racist against blacks.
    It's certainly patronizing, which is one form of racism.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    If you check further down in her article:

So, I guess Mother's Day" is "heterosexist" if you have 2 dads.

I'm guessing it's not mothers that are pushing the "Mother's Day is Sexist" agenda.

That would be true if there wasn't such a day as Father's Day next month.

It's funny. I only get my mom presents on Mother's Day. I never get her a card. lol.

If a card offends you, don't buy it. If enough people don't buy it, then companies will stop making it.
    Human lives matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    It's funny. I only get my mom presents on Mother's Day. I never get her a card. lol.

If a card offends you, don't buy it. If enough people don't buy it, then companies will stop making it.

You are lucky in that your worth is not judged by the gift and card that you give.

I bought my mom a nice present at Macys last night-a teapot and matching mugs, to the tune of $40. I always give her joke cards because I hate mushy "best mother in the world" crap. I will also enclose the receipt so that she can return the gift for cash if she doesn't like it.

My sister and I will run up to Meijer Sunday morning, before my mom arrives, and she will buy her a plant for her patio and cheap pot to put it in. It'll cost her $10. My mom will tell her friends next week at church about what a thoughtful gift my sister gave her, and what a cheap brat I am.

If I give her a combination of a book and a cd, she complains that "you always give me that". If I give her a gift card, I am told "you didn't take the time and effort to pick a gift out for me".

For her birthday in the summer, I usually save up and buy her clothes from Nordstrom and have the store put it in a gift box. I make it very clear to her that it did not come from The Rack and that she can't return it to The Rack.

She is so going to a nursing home when she can't live alone anymore!!! I don't care what my sister says, or if she offers to take care of her.

It's funny, my brother was always her favorite when we were kids. Then he got married and didn't need her anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post

That is a market solution to a problem that has no market solution. The gender totalitarians who are offended by Mother's Day are not satisfied to keep their offense to themselves, they must share their grievance, impose it upon the rest of us and dictate what we do when we choose to honor our own parents.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    That would be true if there wasn't such a day as Father's Day next month.
    Not true. Mother's day is holiday that the children of two dads can never celebrate; Father's day is a holiday that the children of two moms can never celebrate. Both holidays are equally heterosexist because they leave out the children of some gay parent situations. A child of heterosexual parents can celebrate both Mother's and Father's day, even if mom and dad are not living together.

Eventually, both holidays will be coalesced into one holiday, "Parent's Day," so the children of G/L couples don't feel left out.

You are lucky in that your worth is not judged by the gift and card that you give.

I bought my mom a nice present at Macys last night-a teapot and matching mugs, to the tune of $40. I always give her joke cards because I hate mushy "best mother in the world" crap. I will also enclose the receipt so that she can return the gift for cash if she doesn't like it.

My sister and I will run up to Meijer Sunday morning, before my mom arrives, and she will buy her a plant for her patio and cheap pot to put it in. It'll cost her $10. My mom will tell her friends next week at church about what a thoughtful gift my sister gave her, and what a cheap brat I am.

If I give her a combination of a book and a cd, she complains that "you always give me that". If I give her a gift card, I am told "you didn't take the time and effort to pick a gift out for me".

For her birthday in the summer, I usually save up and buy her clothes from Nordstrom and have the store put it in a gift box. I make it very clear to her that it did not come from The Rack and that she can't return it to The Rack.

She is so going to a nursing home when she can't live alone anymore!!! I don't care what my sister says, or if she offers to take care of her.

It's funny, my brother was always her favorite when we were kids. Then he got married and didn't need her anymore.
    I'm sorry that your mom is the way that she is. You should surprise her with a big gift of nothing this year, take a picture of the shock on her face, and post it here. lol.

My mom's always liked stuff I've gotten her. It helps that I ask her ahead of time though. I know. It ruins the surprise. She's hard to shop for though.
    Human lives matter.

That's not cool.

I usually get my mom a gift card to somewhere she shops, she's told me she prefers that. I got her a $50 gift certificate to Bed Bath and Beyond this year because she's a deal shopper and always gets the 20% off coupon she can use with the gift card. I also usually buy her a card, but now that she has a granddaughter she gets the card from her instead. I also get her a bouquet of roses or flowers depending on what looks fresher. She is always very appreciative.

As for this bozo who wants to stop differentiating between men and women, go SUCK IT and leave the rest of us alone.

It's maddening when all these little perverts or nut-jobs want to change life for everyone because of the few little crazies who get their feelings hurt when they realize they are different from the rest of society.