Thread: Purity

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Purity 
    I tried having this discussion on another board and some of the responses kind of upset me. What is everyone here's stance on purity? I am a virgin and would personally prefer to remain that way and marry someone who is also a virgin, so that our experience is special and exclusive. I don't like the idea of waiting thirty years just to be number two or number three, and, while I would not judge someone based on their past relations alone, it is kind of important to me, personally.

What bothers me is that it has suddenly become "wrong" to think this way. The last time I brought this up, a bunch of people (mostly females) started yelling about how this is some terrible shallow concept and that we men should feel sorry for ourselves and just bend over and accept anything, never mind that this is the way most people have viewed marriage from the start and that it's the way it should be. To top it off, this was at a "Christian" forum, where I would expect most people would feel the same.

So, just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on purity?

I just noticed, if this would be more fitting in General Discussion, feel free to move it there. My bad.
    Last edited by Chex; 05-10-2013 at 03:33 AM.

Power CUer
    I think deciding when, and with whom, and under what circumstances, to have sex is a very personal decision and up to each individual. You have to decide what is right for you, and what's important to you in a partner, whether other people approve of that or not.
    It's really no one else's business, after all.

However, I personally don't subscribe to the term "purity" to equate to virginity, as if the act of having sex in itself made someone dirty or sullied in some way.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I think that anyone who can remain a virgin until that Mr. or Ms. Right comes along should wear that decision like a badge of honor in this day and age. Never be ashamed to be pure, because there is absolutely no shame to be found in purity.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    It's really no one else's business, after all.

Yep. Wait...is this part of my water thread????
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Chex View Post
    I tried having this discussion on another board and some of the responses kind of upset me. What is everyone here's stance on purity? I am a virgin and would personally prefer to remain that way and marry someone who is also a virgin, so that our experience is special and exclusive. I don't like the idea of waiting thirty years just to be number two or number three, and, while I would not judge someone based on their past relations alone, it is kind of important to me, personally.

What bothers me is that it has suddenly become "wrong" to think this way. The last time I brought this up, a bunch of people (mostly females) started yelling about how this is some terrible shallow concept and that we men should feel sorry for ourselves and just bend over and accept anything, never mind that this is the way most people have viewed marriage from the start and that it's the way it should be. To top it off, this was at a "Christian" forum, where I would expect most people would feel the same.

So, just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on purity?

I just noticed, if this would be more fitting in General Discussion, feel free to move it there. My bad.
    Adult male virgins are relatively rare nowadays (outside of comic book and Star Trek conventions), partly because the culture is so sexed up, but also because men traditionally seek sex more intensely than women, so people are going to have a difficult time accepting that you have remained a virgin by choice. I think that you are correct about the problem of finding a like-minded woman, but even if the person that you marry is not a virgin, it does not mean that the act is not special. Remember that even if you are not her first, she will be yours, and that will make it special to both of you.

However, I personally don't subscribe to the term "purity" to equate to virginity, as if the act of having sex in itself made someone dirty or sullied in some way.
    Woody Allen was once asked if he thought that sex was dirty, and he replied, "It is if you are doing it right."
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

I know I should have something witty to say here, but I really don't.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post

Woody Allen was once asked if he thought that sex was dirty, and he replied, "It is if you are doing it right."
    I actually thought of that line as I was typing my response, and while it is amusing, there is such a thing as "over valuing" virginity in women. In some cultures, their lives can depend on it.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I actually thought of that line as I was typing my response, and while it is amusing, there is such a thing as "over valuing" virginity in women. In some cultures, their lives can depend on it.
    You are only a virgin for the first stroke.

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using Tapatalk 2
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

There's nothing wrong with your decision.

And don't ever patronize whores.
    Be Not Afraid.

This is true. However, there is a difference between choosing to wait and being forced to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    You are only a virgin for the first stroke.
    Virginity is like a bubble: it only lasts until the first prick.
    Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using Tapatalk 2

Sic hacer pace, para bellum.
    Sent from my android.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!