Thread: Water Treatment systems...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Water Treatment systems... 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Now living in Florida one of the things you have is hard/bad tasting water.
    Personally I think the water is fine but SLW will disagree.

Another is companies trying to sell you systems to treat/filter it...

For years I have resisted talking to these people but last week I was in a good
    mood and a nice lady called that sounded like my departed grandmother so I
    listened to a "survey" that ended with a pitch to have a guy come out and
    test our water. He was here yesterday and I give the kid an A+ for the
    sales job. And no, we haven't bought anything. Yet.

I don't want to mention the system name yet but does anyone have a whole
    house water treatment system, who puts it out, and what do you think
    of it???? Would you recommend it or is it a POS???

PM me if you don't want to answer out in the open. Thanks!!

SR.
    May the FORCE be with you!

We are lucky in SE Michigan-the one thing the City of Detroit continues to do well is provide good quality drinking water to the region.

Ewe! Gator poo.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Rut Roh!!!

We just looked up the LOCAL company/Dist. here in Punta Gorda...

BBB rating of D- and the phone number is disconnected!!!!

I'm sorry to say...typical Florida water scammer...
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Rut Roh!!!

We just looked up the LOCAL company/Dist. here in Punta Gorda...

BBB rating of D- and the phone number is disconnected!!!!

I'm sorry to say...typical Florida water scammer...
    One of my customers assembled his own using screw on disposable filters. You can probably get what you need from a local plumbing supply. A 1 micron filter and 2 activated charcoal filters will do the job nicely.
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

We have one on each house and would not try to live around here without one. The one in this house is a new brand and my wife is not all that excited about it. For her to drink the local water requires either the additional under-sink system or the fridge filtering. It does seem to do the job re: clothes, dishes and showers.

The older (1980? 81?) system has always been more than satisfactory in all phases of it's work. It was originally sold as a Rainsoft unit although the company name has multiplied and rotated regularly it's still the same folks supplying parts, labor and supplies. The unit is self contained in a single fiberglass 'box' sitting outside the washroom window. We did replace the large filter about 10 years ago. Right hand unit here.

The newer system (2010) came from Rayne systems and has three sections on the outside. The first one is there because our local water sand is very unconsolidated and we do get fines into the flow. One is the filter and one salt supply chamber. It does have an added "advantage" in that it does not recirculate until it's testing system says it needs to. And that may be the source of the water taste problem. The Rainsoft system does a flowback every xxx gallons. Here ya go.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.

Through the eighties when we lived in Columbus, OH, we bought an Ionics system. Worked great.

A bit on the expensive side; we bought the Filtramax model, but we thought it was well worth it.

http://allenbwest.com/
    http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg
    Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

I'm a very skeptical person. First the guy was talking about what I've been referring to as the "magic water", with the pitch that pure water is like the water in the Grand Canyon, dissolving rocks, etc. so just putting the softened, purified water on a paper towel will totally clean an oven.

He said you didn't even need much soap with his system, as that "magic water" would do all the cleaning for you. He took a paper towel with only that special water and started wiping very hard on the dark grout around the tiles on the floor (it was in the laundry room where we track through from the garage and the dogs hang out a lot waiting for their dog bones). Now I have a lovely little X on the floor there. Too bad I don't have more of his magic water to finish cleaning.

I'm at the point that I don't much trust anyone down here. Unless he had trick chemicals, I'll concede that we probably need to do something with the water here. Poor guy, he almost convinced me that we need to do something---just not with them.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    I'm a very skeptical person. First the guy was talking about what I've been referring to as the "magic water", with the pitch that pure water is like the water in the Grand Canyon, dissolving rocks, etc. so just putting the softened, purified water on a paper towel will totally clean an oven.

He said you didn't even need much soap with his system, as that "magic water" would do all the cleaning for you. He took a paper towel with only that special water and started wiping very hard on the dark grout around the tiles on the floor (it was in the laundry room where we track through from the garage and the dogs hang out a lot waiting for their dog bones). Now I have a lovely little X on the floor there. Too bad I don't have more of his magic water to finish cleaning.

I'm at the point that I don't much trust anyone down here. Unless he had trick chemicals, I'll concede that we probably need to do something with the water here. Poor guy, he almost convinced me that we need to do something---just not with them.
    The 'magic' is some form of de-ionization, or reverse osmosis purification. It makes the water 'wetter' by reducing surface tension, same as soap does...
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other.
    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.

~John Adams