Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Yes, Letís Talk About Kermit Gosnell 
    link

Liberals who have proudly claimed that they get all their "news" from DU and liberal sites perplexed, yes, perplexed that they haven't heard of the Gosnell trial before......but..but...it's not due to the liberal media bias and it's just a one person thing and it's about murder NOT abortion, and IT'S ALL THE FAULT OF CONSERVATIVES!!!

Star Member cbayer (119,949 posts)

Yes, Letís Talk About Kermit Gosnell
    http://www.religiondispatches.org/di...ermit_gosnell/

April 12, 2013 2:09pm
    Post by SARAH POSNER

Kermit Gosnell is on trial in Philadelphia, charged with eight counts of murder at his grisly abortion clinic. The Associated Press covered the opening proceedings of a trial expected to last eight weeks. A New York Times reporter was also present when the trial opened. His story appeared on page A17, which apparently wasnít prominent enough for conservatives who are complaining that the media is under-covering the story because, as Charles Krauthammer put it, it places the issue of late-term abortion ďstarkly into relief.Ē

Gosnell is charged with illegally performing third trimester abortions, and slitting the spines of the babies, acts that were loudly condemned by pro-choice advocates. It doesnít bring the issue of late-term abortion ďstarkly into reliefĒ; itís the story of a monster completely flouting the law and medical standards. When the story came to light more than two years ago, legitimate providers made that perfectly clear.

Is Gosnellís trial getting the same level of coverage on cable as, say, the Jodi Arias trial? No. But thatís a question about the mediaís priorities in general, rather than some sort of ideologically-driven fear that the pro-choice position would be exposed. Proponents of safe, legal abortion do not fear any light shed on this awful episode. To the contrary, they were some of the first to condemn Gosnell when the details of a grand jury report were made public in January 2011 and Gosnell was first charged.

As Irin Carmon shows, there is no media cover-up of Gosnell. If youíve missed the story, ďItís probably because you failed to pay attention to the copious coverage among pro-choice and feminist journalists, as well as the big news organizations, when the news first broke in 2011.Ē Among it: Tara Murthaís extensive coverage in the Philadalphia Weekly.

more at link
    goldent (289 posts)
    1. This is a shocking story

and this is the first I've heard about it, which is surprising to me as I read quite a bit of news. Interestingly, I do distinctly remember hearing from multiple sources about the re-opening of the abortion clinic where Dr. George Tiller (who was murdered) worked. For me it may be just a coincidence that I never heard about Gosnell.

In any case, this is a horrific story if true. There are a fair number of stories of doctors who are believed to "help along" the death process for terminally ill patients, and I can understand their motives, even when they cross the line. But this one (Kermit Gosnell) is beyond belief.
    Star Member cbayer (119,949 posts)
    3. It is the first I have heard of it as well.

Her analysis of why this has escaped major media attention is very interesting. In short, the pro-choice community has stood firmly in opposition to this man. The reasons he was able to do what he did appear to be due to lack of services and scare tactics used by the anti-choicers against women trying to access legitimate clinics.
    goldent (289 posts)
    6. I'm not sure I understand...

View profile
    The pro-choice and pro-life advocates might have had reasons for not publicizing this case, although I can't quite see why the pro-life advocates would not be shouting about it.

But beyond that, this is a sensational story with lots of blood and horror and it seems atypical for this not to be big news. I checked CNN, NY Times, and Fox News and they all have stories going back to Jan 2011, so it clearly was reported. A murder of 7+ people would normally be huge, but as mentioned in the article, the infants who were killed did not have names or any life history, so it makes it less compelling.
    Star Member UTUSN (34,827 posts)
    10. this is an alleged serial killer.not a doctor.not about pro.choice nt
    Had this been anything BUT about abortion there would have been 100+ comments, not the 21. Most DUers could care less.

So far today DU has ONE (1) OP since the verdict came down, and NO ONE has commented on it.

Yep, it's just a local crime story.......not about abortion at all.
    Star Member DonViejo (4,342 posts)

View profile
    Gosnell: Still a local crime story

In the end, the criminal justice system worked, punishing a lone outlaw. It had nothing to do with legal abortion

BY IRIN CARMON

In the end, the case of Kermit Gosnell, convicted today of first-degree murder of three babies and numerous other charges, is a local crime story.

That, of course, was the phrase famously used by Washington Post reporter Sarah Kliff to respond to questions about why she hadnít covered the case. She was widely pilloried by the right for it, and she later said, ďI was clearly wrong.Ē But she wasnít.

There are, of course, national implications to the case because policy shapes so many aspects of our lives, including how we access healthcare and under what terms. And Gosnellís dangerous clinic was inexcusably allowed to continue operating despite numerous complaints to state authorities. But if youíre horrified by what Gosnell did ó along with the major pro-choice organizations, according to their statements today ó you should be satisfied that the criminal justice system did its job. He broke the law, and he is being punished. (Quite possibly with the death penalty, which one self-identified pro-life scholar, at least, opposes for Gosnell out of a sense of consistency.) In the meantime, there is no reason to think the case has changed much about the world outside Gosnellís.

What this case is not is a referendum on all abortion, a conflation the political strategy around the case has attempted. Gosnell has been convicted of murder because women gave birth to live, viable (or arguably viable) babies that were then murdered. The anti-abortion movement has argued that this is the same as abortion, and the difference is inches inside or outside ďthe womb,Ē a word that erases the woman bearing it altogether. But such difficult calculations only apply to around 1 percent of all abortions, since 98.7 percent of abortions are conducted before 21 weeks, itself a few weeks before viability. Forty-one states ban abortion after viability except in the direst cases, and most lack a provider to perform one. In poll after poll, Americans are invariably more comfortable with first-trimester abortions Ė 91.4 percent of all abortions ó than later ones, and that makes sense if you think life occurs on a spectrum from a blob of cells to a fully formed person, or some version thereof. People, including pregnant people, have complicated feelings about all this ó another reason why the decision should be a personal one ó but the law tends to keep in mind the difference between a womanís autonomy over her bodyís gestation and labor of an embryo or fetus and a living, independent person out in the world.

full article
    http://www.salon.com/2013/05/13/gosn...l_crime_story/

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    What a collection of SuperBrains...
    May the FORCE be with you!

It's still a "local story" and people haven't heard about it because the national news outlets (other than FNC) purposely sat on the story.

It took a couple of them 56 days to report on the damn trial...and that was to talk about the guilty verdict.

Here we have another classic example of agenda shaped journalism and the mouth breathers that take it all at face value.

DUmmie: "Well if ABC/CNN/NBC/CBS/CNN/NYT/WashPo didn't report on it...it must not have been that important."

In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    It's still a "local story" and people haven't heard about it because the national news outlets (other than FNC) purposely sat on the story.

It took a couple of them 56 days to report on the damn trial...and that was to talk about the guilty verdict.

Here we have another classic example of agenda shaped journalism and the mouth breathers that take it all at face value.

DUmmie: "Well if ABC/CNN/NBC/CBS/CNN/NYT/WashPo didn't report on it...it must not have been that important."

Trayvon Martin and Jody Arias are local stories, too, but somehow, they seem to have gotten a tremendous amount of coverage. Why is that, I wonder...?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

This case shined a light on abortion, how can a matter of less than 10 feet (from mothers uterus to the trash can) determine when life begins?
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Also lost in the story is how he preyed on the black community. Another reason why the MSM didn't cover this. Simply put, this guy is a monster worse than Tiller the baby killer but he's a hero to the left and their agenda.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Arias is sort of the new OJ Simpson. You just can't believe the trial when on that long when it's obvious she's guilty.

But as for Kermit and their lack of coverage, that was the last straw for me. Yes, the media really is liberal. If you disagree, it's because you're so far to the left that you're about to fall off the imaginary edge of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Arias is sort of the new OJ Simpson. You just can't believe the trial when on that long when it's obvious she's guilty.

But as for Kermit and their lack of coverage, that was the last straw for me. Yes, the media really is liberal. If you disagree, it's because you're so far to the left that you're about to fall off the imaginary edge of the world.
    DU is full of people that believe that CNN is "center right" and that NPR is neutral....and MSNBC is "center left".

Which just goes to show you how far to the left your average DUmmie is.

They want Pravda circa 1965.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    This case shined a light on abortion, how can a matter of less than 10 feet (from mothers uterus to the trash can) determine when life begins?
    Not so much ten feet as just a few centimeters, the amount of distance from the mother's uterus to the open air. Partial Birth Abortion occurs with 90% of the baby outside of the uterus, with just the head in place. According to to the law, if the spine is snipped in utero, it's okay, but let the head drop out and the baby take its first breath, then it's now human (or would be, if Democrats didn't oppose such laws with everything at their disposal). Both actions are infanticide, but one is made legal by semantics.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Also lost in the story is how he preyed on the black community. Another reason why the MSM didn't cover this. Simply put, this guy is a monster worse than Tiller the baby killer but he's a hero to the left and their agenda.
    Gosnell isn't a hero to the left, he's an embarassment. His clinics were filthy, he permitted his wife, who was not a medical practitioner, to help with abortions (she's a cosmetologist), he failed to provide any oversight of the medical practices of his subordinates and he was grossly incompetent as well as guilty of criminally depraved indifference to human life. The left is trying to spin this as an example of what women can expect of abortion is made illegal, but Pennsylvania's abortion mills are legal, and the state abrogated its responsibility to enforce standards because of the politics of abortion and the power of leftist groups like Planned Parenthood. This is the real story, the one that they want to avoid having to talk about, the culture of death that ultimately doesn't care about anything, since all lives end up in the trash can as far as they are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post

--Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!