1. #1 Things From Your Childhood You Survived 
    A few of us older guys to work were talking about things from our childhood that didn't kill us but are illegal or damned near illegal today. Here are some I remember:

-Not wearing seat belts. I remember this kid from my neighborhood used to stand inbetween his parents in the front seat(bench seat of course). He's alive and well today.

-Riding bikes without helmets, knee pads, elbow pads, or dressed up like an NHL goaltender. Same with rollerskates and skateboards.

-Chemistry sets

-Neighborhood being sprayed for mosquitoes and gypsy moth caterpillars.

-Playing full 11 on 11 tackle sandlot football

-Drinking out of the outside spigot

-Riding in the back of a pickup

Any more?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Having my own bb-gun, and taking it out in the neighborhood to plink at targets with other kids.

Toy guns that looked like guns.

Toy Soldiers that looked like Soldiers.

Toys with small parts, or internal wires. Remember MAJ Matt Mason? Those were rubber figures with wires that held them in poses. When the wires broke, they would stick out through the rubber, but only an idiot would get poked by them.

Airplane glue.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Dynamiting stumps and boulders out of the field.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Having my own bb-gun, and taking it out in the neighborhood to plink at targets with other kids.

Toy guns that looked like guns.

Toy Soldiers that looked like Soldiers.

Toys with small parts, or internal wires. Remember MAJ Matt Mason? Those were rubber figures with wires that held them in poses. When the wires broke, they would stick out through the rubber, but only an idiot would get poked by them.

Airplane glue.
    I had the entire set from Maj. Matt Mason including Capt. Lazer and Callisto.

Driving the pickup - at 11 - by myself on the road.

Riding a Harley at 16 without any pads, helmet or them leather britches.

Being the only one at home all day every week day all summer long while both parents worked.

Spending most of those days out in the woods wandering around behind the little animals.

Smoking grapevines.

Possessions before I was 13: slingshot (both types), .22 bolt action, pump 16, hunting bow and arrows, pet snakes, ....
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

My grandpa used to take us for snowmobile rides on the frozen Grand Traverse Bay. He measured the ice first, to make sure it was safe.

I hitchhiked a couple of times in Kalamazoo, at a time when I knew I shouldn't. Not everyone is a serial killer.

My dad used to cut the seat belts out of his cars, because he once was in an accident in which he would have been impaled by the steering wheel had he not been thrown from the car.

I rode my bike all over Kentwood without ever wearing a helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Driving the pickup - at 11 - by myself on the road.

Riding a Harley at 16 without any pads, helmet or them leather britches.

Being the only one at home all day every week day all summer long while both parents worked.

Spending most of those days out in the woods wandering around behind the little animals.

Smoking grapevines.

Possessions before I was 13: slingshot (both types), .22 bolt action, pump 16, hunting bow and arrows, pet snakes, ....
    My siblings and I were latchkey kids. My dad worked shift work(parents were divorced). Hell, we never even locked the door. A dry cleaners used to clean my father's uniforms and used to pick them up and drop them off. He would come in through the unlocked front door and even hand them in the hallway closet. Even into the 80's. Can't do that today.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Smoking grapevines.
    Did you ever drink any hemp wine?
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Did you ever drink any hemp wine?
    3 times in my life I tried alcohol:

Smelled the bottle of Thunderbird Mom keep for her thyroid. Never went near wine again.

Tasted a beer in the car with friends headed for the lake. Never tasted beer again.

Tried some 16 yo Scotch the day I turned 21. Liked it far too much and never got near it again.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.