Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Women in public, no matter how they're dressed, are not "inviting" ANYTHING. 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    So if a woman is dressed like a slut...

Wed May 15, 2013, 01:00 PM
    redqueen

Women in public, no matter how they're dressed, are not "inviting" ANYTHING. [View all]

Get it?

Not stares, not opinions, not interaction, not ANYTHING. Clothes are not an invitation. Words are. Body language can be.

CLOTHES ARE NOT.

This message brought to you by the Department of Why The Hell Are People Still Not Clear On This
    Sure.
    May the FORCE be with you!

We have a line worker (female) who always wears very tight jeans with rhinestones and other sparkly shit on the back pockets.

One of the supervisors tried to get her to wear different clothes because the stones present an ISD hazard (In System Damage = paint scratches, dings, dents caused during the assembly process).

She tried to go to HR with the complaint "Why is anyone even looking at my butt?".

Our HR Generalist's answer was just priceless: "Cause you've decorated it with eye-catching, sparkly shit! What else are they supposed to look at?"

My point? Clothing can be as much a form of expression as any other media; just ask any high school student who's been requested to turn an 'offensive' or 'disruptive' t-shirt inside-out.

As a form of expression, it can evoke a reaction. There is NO excuse for unwanted sexual contact, BUT...

Don't wear heels (specifically designed to accentuate calves and buttocks), and then complain about people staring at your ass.

Don't wear low-cut tops (specifically designed to expose cleavage), then complain about the attention your cleavage is getting.

You don't wear a police uniform unless you want to be mistaken for a cop, or a military uniform unless you want people to think you're a soldier.
    Why would anyone expect anything different just because the uniform they chose to wear happens to be a prostitute's?
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other.
    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.

~John Adams

If a hooker dresses like a hooker and hangs out where hookers hang out isn't that an invitation to do business?

Power CUer
    I always thought redqueen was off her rocker. However, I do have to jump in here as a female, especially at Rein Man's post.

Fashion is not something women control. It's primarily a male industry at the top. Women often have a difficult time finding clothing that is fashionable, modest, and reasonably priced. So many women's shirts are meant to accent cleavage in one way or another, and so many shirts (and pants) are covered with sparkly shit. My own job does "workplace casual" and it's a nightmare trying to find clothing that is both casual and respectable with a little style. I'm better off in places that require suits--at least I know they will be tasteful.

You really begin to see how bad it is when you try to buy clothing for kids. Boys outfits are sturdier and less ornamented. Girls clothes are often short skirts and sparkly princess shirts, which make it hard for girls to crawl around, get dirty, and just have fun. An example: a friend of mine wanted to buy snow boots for her daughters at Target. Both of her girls are very active and wanted to build snowmen, ride sleds, etc. My friend went first to the girls' section and found only boots like this. They're cute, but you can't use them in the snow. The snow will get inside the top of the boot and go down to the child's foot. The bottom of the boot was slippery, making them unsteady when walking or running. So my friend ended up going to the boys' section, where she found the perfect boot: waterproof, sturdy, with a tie around the calf so that snow could never get in the boot. She bought one pair of those for each of her girls (in blue), but she was just frustrated that they didn't make the same boot for girls. It was as if the fashion industry was dictating the behavior of boys and girls through their clothing. What makes it worse is that much of the girls' clothing and footwear mimics that of adult women. Another friend of mine calls it the "baby slut" look.

I understand that some women dress to have certain parts of their bodies noticed. But many of us have to really search to find things that look both fashionable and tasteful, but not look like we've got one foot in the grave.

Hope I haven't hijacked the thread. Maybe other folks have had less frustrating experiences.

I concur.

When I go out every chick I remotely come in contact with has to engage me. They all think they can invade my space, chat with me, ask me out, buy me a drink or dinner, whistle at me, etc. I try to oblige them all but it becomes tedious.
    Be Not Afraid.

Body language can be.

Lol, her words said no, but her body language said yes.

Besides, men are extremely visual, we are aroused by revealing clothing because we are the proactive ones in reproduction. Women have learned this and use it to their advantage, they love having men check them out (a quick double take is fine, staring at their breast is another). If a woman has to dress like a whore to be empowered (i.e listened to) what does that say about her wanting be acknowledged for her brain and not her breast?

My fiancee dresses very modestly, in today's standard, she wears her jeans on her hips, they're designed to just look like they're on her waist. When I saw her at first she looked beautiful physically, but once she started talking and I learned more about her, I realized that she was extremely intelligent, down to Earth, and amazing with children, plus she goes to church and isn't a feminist. Her physical beauty makes her beautiful, but her character makes her gorgeous, and she doesn't have to dress like a slut for people to listen to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    I always thought redqueen was off her rocker. However, I do have to jump in here as a female, especially at Rein Man's post.

Fashion is not something women control. It's primarily a male industry at the top. Women often have a difficult time finding clothing that is fashionable, modest, and reasonably priced. So many women's shirts are meant to accent cleavage in one way or another, and so many shirts (and pants) are covered with sparkly shit. My own job does "workplace casual" and it's a nightmare trying to find clothing that is both casual and respectable with a little style. I'm better off in places that require suits--at least I know they will be tasteful.

You really begin to see how bad it is when you try to buy clothing for kids. Boys outfits are sturdier and less ornamented. Girls clothes are often short skirts and sparkly princess shirts, which make it hard for girls to crawl around, get dirty, and just have fun. An example: a friend of mine wanted to buy snow boots for her daughters at Target. Both of her girls are very active and wanted to build snowmen, ride sleds, etc. My friend went first to the girls' section and found only boots like this. They're cute, but you can't use them in the snow. The snow will get inside the top of the boot and go down to the child's foot. The bottom of the boot was slippery, making them unsteady when walking or running. So my friend ended up going to the boys' section, where she found the perfect boot: waterproof, sturdy, with a tie around the calf so that snow could never get in the boot. She bought one pair of those for each of her girls (in blue), but she was just frustrated that they didn't make the same boot for girls. It was as if the fashion industry was dictating the behavior of boys and girls through their clothing. What makes it worse is that much of the girls' clothing and footwear mimics that of adult women. Another friend of mine calls it the "baby slut" look.

I understand that some women dress to have certain parts of their bodies noticed. But many of us have to really search to find things that look both fashionable and tasteful, but not look like we've got one foot in the grave.

Hope I haven't hijacked the thread. Maybe other folks have had less frustrating experiences.
    We've never really had that problem, but then Mrs. Ody does a lot of shopping for our girls online, or we go to outlet malls, and we usually find what we are looking for. She's very fond of Hannah Anderson.

If the position that you want is missionary, then by all means dress like a hooker. If it isn't, then dress accordingly.

With regard to the OP, in a perfect world, women ought to be able to dress as they like without fear of repercussions, but the fact is that how you dress affects how you are perceived by others. If you dress to attract attention, you will attract attention, and it isn't always going to be the attention that you want. The lesson that I tell my oldest daughter is that dressing to attract a boy that she likes might get his attention, but it will also get the attention of boys that she doesn't like, and doesn't want to be liked by. She's nine, but she's also a stunner, and I know that it's going to be an issue. My youngest isn't there yet, so I'm hoping that the example will filter down. If that doesn't work, I'm going to tell them that we're converting to Islam and to enjoy the burqas. I've always been told to dress for the position that you want, and that's good advice.
    Last edited by Odysseus; 05-16-2013 at 09:45 AM.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

I'm wearing my green dress-knee-lengthed and plunging neckline. I fully admit that I wear it to get male attention. I look hot in it. The only male attention I get at the office is usually gay male attention, but still, I'm going to a party tonight after work and I'm not in front of clients today or in court.

If I ever become a delinquency worker again, I can never wear this dress to work again, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Fashion is not something women control.
    What a complete victimhood pantload.

Who determines what clothing is made for and sold to women? WOMEN. It is determined by marketplace demand. Unless they're muzzies, women go shopping and decide what clothes they will buy and wear. If a particular fashion or style sells well TO WOMEN then the evil males supposedly running the fashion industry will make more of and market it. It's a concept called supply and demand. You should study up on it.

Women also make the majority of buying decisions regarding what clothes their children will wear. Again, the concept of supply and demand applies.

One of the funniest things I ever heard on radio was some years ago on a call in show and the topic is how some women are looked at at work. One girl called in and said how she can't stand how men leer at her and stare at her and make suggestive comments to her while she's working. The host asked her where she works and she replied, "Hooters". I almost drove off the road laughing. Here she's working at an establishment who's very name is a euphemism for a woman's breasts not to mention the required uniform of their wait staff and she can't understand why men leer at her? Ugh.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.