Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by FDK View Post
    What a complete victimhood pantload.

Who determines what clothing is made for and sold to women? WOMEN. It is determined by marketplace demand. Unless they're muzzies, women go shopping and decide what clothes they will buy and wear. If a particular fashion or style sells well TO WOMEN then the evil males supposedly running the fashion industry will make more of and market it. It's a concept called supply and demand. You should study up on it.

Women also make the majority of buying decisions regarding what clothes their children will wear. Again, the concept of supply and demand applies.
    I call bullshit.

I can tell you that marketplace demand is created in the fashion world. The demand created is not for the clothes themselves but for the idea that the clothes are somehow "fashion." Some of those "fashions" are just hideous. There are some female designers who do nice things, but, as the saying goes, female designers make clothes, male designers make costumes. And the costumes only work on stage with very, very skinny, tall, flat chested women with no asses.

Trust me, if I had control of what designers made, women's clothing would be a lot more comfortable and a great deal more durable. Many times, I end up buying mens' clothes and shoes just to have something that lasts longer than a season. I have sweats and sweaters straight from the men's department because those things never die, they just keep going. Meanwhile, a pink women's sweater I got for Christmas is already starting to unravel.

So I vote with my dollars. But I guess my vote doesn't count.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    We've never really had that problem, but then Mrs. Ody does a lot of shopping for our girls online, or we go to outlet malls, and we usually find what we are looking for. She's very fond of Hannah Anderson.
    Thanks for the tip.

If the position that you want is missionary, then by all means dress like a hooker. If it isn't, then dress accordingly.
    The problem is that how hookers dress and how nice women dress can overlap. In the 90s, for example, the short skirts and dresses were in fashion. (The designers were replaying the early 70s in their heads, I guess.) I would go to church and the young women and teens would wear these really short hemlines. You might say "hooker" in your head, but these were sold as "normal." Now my old nuns at Catholic school would have had many things to say about these dresses and skirts, but to the kids they were just "fashion."

With regard to the OP, in a perfect world, women ought to be able to dress as they like without fear of repercussions, but the fact is that how you dress affects how you are perceived by others.
    This is a lesson that everyone needs. No one deserves to be raped or to be a victim of any violent crime. If you call the police after a crime is committed, the victim should not be blamed. Morally, the person to blame is the person who did the assault.

That being said, there are certain precautions you can take. If you are a guy who needs money out of an ATM, for example, you can avoid getting mugged by getting your money out during the day, in a safe & well-lit place, in a grocery store, in a place with a lot of people, etc. If, however, you don't plan and you decide to get your money out of an ATM late at night, in a dark location in an unsafe neighborhood with no one around, you greatly increase your chances of being mugged or shot. No one is saying you're morally to blame if you do get mugged or shot--that's on the criminal--but we are saying that you should use your common sense to avoid that situation altogether if you can. It's far better to avoid a violent crime entirely than to take comfort in your innocence as you're bleeding to death.

The same with rape and other forms of assault. You are not morally to blame for wanting to dress fashionably (even sexy), you are not to blame for wanting to meet men at a bar or fraternity party, and you're not to blame for wanting to be attractive to the opposite sex. However, you need to use your head from a practical standpoint and avoid those situations where you could be victimized. Don't go to a bar or frat alone, don't get separated from your friends, don't leave any drink open on a table and then come back and drink it, etc. If you go to a frat party, control how much you drink and only drink from containers you open yourself, like beer bottles. Make sure you're never too far from your friends, make sure you have cash to call a cab, etc. And when you dress, be judicious in your choices understanding that different clothing sends different messages.

Now even with all those precautions, bad things will still happen. A male friend of mine was mugged in broad daylight at an ATM on a busy LA street. Another woman I know was raped in her own home with the door locked. The guy broke the window and got in. You can't plan for everything and criminals have evil intentions. But many situations in life can be planned for.

In the case of clothing, there are always going to be males who don't have self control, who will do and say nasty things. It helps to not wear certain types of clothing. However, and this is where you and I will disagree Ody, sometimes, you can be wearing a modest shirt with a collar and skirt with a low hem and some guys will still do and say crap. You have to let your daughters know that sometimes, even if they take all the right precautions, some males will still overstep and take advantage, and that it's not their fault if they do. That's why, it's so important to let girls know how to defend themselves. Karate, maybe?
    Last edited by Elspeth; 05-16-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    One of the funniest things I ever heard on radio was some years ago on a call in show and the topic is how some women are looked at at work. One girl called in and said how she can't stand how men leer at her and stare at her and make suggestive comments to her while she's working. The host asked her where she works and she replied, "Hooters". I almost drove off the road laughing. Here she's working at an establishment who's very name is a euphemism for a woman's breasts not to mention the required uniform of their wait staff and she can't understand why men leer at her? Ugh.
    That was a real call?

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    I always thought redqueen was off her rocker. However, I do have to jump in here as a female, especially at Rein Man's post.

Fashion is not something women control. It's primarily a male industry at the top. Women often have a difficult time finding clothing that is fashionable, modest, and reasonably priced. So many women's shirts are meant to accent cleavage in one way or another, and so many shirts (and pants) are covered with sparkly shit. My own job does "workplace casual" and it's a nightmare trying to find clothing that is both casual and respectable with a little style. I'm better off in places that require suits--at least I know they will be tasteful.

You really begin to see how bad it is when you try to buy clothing for kids. Boys outfits are sturdier and less ornamented. Girls clothes are often short skirts and sparkly princess shirts, which make it hard for girls to crawl around, get dirty, and just have fun. An example: a friend of mine wanted to buy snow boots for her daughters at Target. Both of her girls are very active and wanted to build snowmen, ride sleds, etc. My friend went first to the girls' section and found only boots like this. They're cute, but you can't use them in the snow. The snow will get inside the top of the boot and go down to the child's foot. The bottom of the boot was slippery, making them unsteady when walking or running. So my friend ended up going to the boys' section, where she found the perfect boot: waterproof, sturdy, with a tie around the calf so that snow could never get in the boot. She bought one pair of those for each of her girls (in blue), but she was just frustrated that they didn't make the same boot for girls. It was as if the fashion industry was dictating the behavior of boys and girls through their clothing. What makes it worse is that much of the girls' clothing and footwear mimics that of adult women. Another friend of mine calls it the "baby slut" look.

I understand that some women dress to have certain parts of their bodies noticed. But many of us have to really search to find things that look both fashionable and tasteful, but not look like we've got one foot in the grave.

Hope I haven't hijacked the thread. Maybe other folks have had less frustrating experiences.
    Lemme get this straight...

You are saying that women are faced with limited choices of fashionable clothing. Is that what I'm hearing?

We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other.
    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.

~John Adams

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by ReinMan View Post
    Lemme get this straight...

You are saying that women are faced with limited choices of fashionable clothing. Is that what I'm hearing?
    Look at all those shoes. Do you notice that they're the same shape? They're mostly the same shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Look at all those shoes. Do you notice that they're the same shape? They're mostly the same shoe.
    Maybe so, I'm no expert. I'd lump all of them into the category of 'painful-looking.'

Say what you want about women's vs. men's clothing wrt durability, functionality, etc., but I'll call out 'bullshit' on any assertion that men enjoy more variety than women do on the fashion front.

We only recognize (and shop from) earth tones (brown, gray, tan, black) and about half of the old 16-color default palette from Windows 3. Unless we want to hit more than just a few stores (and we don't!), we choose from two shoe colors (brown, and black), and four sneaker colors (white, blue, gray, black). Jeans are blue or black, and that's it!

To say that men's clothing presents more variety than women's is laughable on its face.

On edit: ...And we kinda like it that way!
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other.
    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.

~John Adams