Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 comcast xfinity router help 
    I got the package deal with comcast that has TV,internet and phone, their modem/wifi router is freaken me out. I set up my secured connection but I noticed another connection thats open for all to log onto (they say my network is safe) They tell me its separate but they could soak up my bandwidth. Does anyone know how to turn this second signal off? If I had known this I wouldn't have gotten the phone option and just used my own wifi router
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

There are two networks on it? One is open for all and one is closed for you? Did you check the bandwidth on the other network to see if any is being used on it? It could be that they have it open for their use only.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    I got the package deal with comcast that has TV,internet and phone, their modem/wifi router is freaken me out. I set up my secured connection but I noticed another connection thats open for all to log onto (they say my network is safe) They tell me its separate but they could soak up my bandwidth. Does anyone know how to turn this second signal off? If I had known this I wouldn't have gotten the phone option and just used my own wifi router
    Are you familiar with how to access your router's settings? If so, you should be able to set it up to recognize only the Mac addresses of the computers/devices on your personal network and to reject all others.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by LukeEDay View Post
    There are two networks on it? One is open for all and one is closed for you? Did you check the bandwidth on the other network to see if any is being used on it? It could be that they have it open for their use only.
    No when i set the router up I have a one access point for me and Its encrypted but for some reason the modem has a channel thats open for xfinity users. Its like comcast made my wifi modem into a public access router.

No when i set the router up I have a one access point for me and Its encrypted but for some reason the modem has a channel thats open for xfinity users. Its like comcast made my wifi modem into a public access router.

Take a screen shot and paste it. Then let me see what you are talking about. When you say about channels being open for the wifi, that is normal. It is usually channel 11. But then with how you are describing it, it could be something different.

Take a screen shot and paste it. Then let me see what you are talking about. When you say about channels being open for the wifi, that is normal. It is usually channel 11. But then with how you are describing it, it could be something different.

The one i am connected to is what I set up, that open one below it was there and anyone with a name and password to xfinity can hook up to my modem, they say they can't access my network but use my bandwidth. I want to shut that off for obvious reasons.

What is the make and model of the modem/router? Is it an Airis? What make and model?

What is the make and model of the modem/router? Is it an Airis? What make and model?
    Its a Airis tg862g/ct

Its a Airis tg862g/ct
    You need to turn on bridge mode. In order to do it, you have to call Comcast and have them do it. Once they do, that will get rid of your second connection. If they tell you that you are already in bridge mode, demand that they send you another gateway because that one is defective.

You need to turn on bridge mode. In order to do it, you have to call Comcast and have them do it. Once they do, that will get rid of your second connection. If they tell you that you are already in bridge mode, demand that they send you another gateway because that one is defective.
    Ok thanks :)

I just think it was underhanded to do that without giving me the option but thats comcast for you lol