Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Americans among least racist people in the world (World Values Survey) 
    http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022854223

Jake Izzy (91 posts)

Americans among least racist people in the world (World Values Survey)

When asked groups of people they would not want to have as neighbors, some countries picked "people of another race" as the answer. Several Asian countries scored as the most intolerant. US was among the most tolerant.

(graphic of racism among nations)

In my view this is good news for America. Despite the racial disparities existing in the nation, racism is much worse in a large area of the globe.

Kudos, USA.

Link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...tries/?hpid=z2
    Star Member polly7 (7,772 posts)
    3. I think much of our tolerance here in North America is due to

having been allowed to live a relatively peaceful, war-free existence on our own soil. The more turmoil one has known, the more susceptible to suspicion, distrust and racism. jmo.
    Star Member tavalon (25,645 posts)
    10. Except for that little skirmish, what was it's name?

Oh, yeah, the Civil War.

I'm shocked that we come out looking that good because we are a racist people. Kind of scares me to think that we rank so high.
    bighart (1,241 posts)
    4. Not sure what to make of the article.

Interesting none the less.
    Star Member dorkzilla (484 posts)
    6. Someone better tell the Teatards. nt
    Star Member freshwest (31,181 posts)
    14. I wonder if the term was understood to be something other than color; such as origin or religion.

I don't see how India ended up in the 'red' on this map, I think it's ethnically diverse according to religion, but pretty much all the same stock racially.

The 'purple' in Russia doesn't take into account that there are many types of people there, religions, etc. Surprised at the Indonesia rating, as I thought that was a very racially diverse area; and surprised that France didn't do so well either.

Americans often come off as worse than they are in real life when seen through media, since we air our dirty laundry for all to see, whereas other nations may not talk about it so much. Still pleased, I don't see any fear of different races, religions, or dislike for those from abroad in my area of the USA, so that is consistent with my experience.

Where I grew up in the South was also more racially diverse and tolerant than some areas of the country. Most Americans have come to grips with the fact most are immigrant stock and don't have any right to judge others, especially those of the Americas from south of the border with deeper roots.
    KamaAina (45,179 posts)
    15. So racism isn't just tearing this country apart,

it's tearing the whole world apart.
    Star Member smirkymonkey (11,638 posts)
    27. Interesting. I am so used to most Europeans

(especially the French) accusing us of being racist. Hmmm.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    WHAT???? This has to be lies!!!! DU says the USA is RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May the FORCE be with you!

Did they leave out the Democratic party when they did that survey?

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _

I love how the DUmmies equate the presence of diversity with acceptance. It never occurs to them that places with large racially mixed populations may also have great ethnic strife. India has a largely homogenous population in terms of racial characteristics, but is riven by caste and religious differences.

Here's the map:

Some observations:

The least racist regions of the world are the most heavily populated by westerners.
    English-speaking states are the least racist as a group (the US, Canada, Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand), but Hong Kong shows up as very racist.
    The most racist are those with heavy Muslim popultions.
    The Muslims states that they dared not enter, such as Sudan, Libya, Somalia, Syria, Iraq, Yemen and the various 'Stans, are not exactly known for their ethnic/religious tolerance, either.
    The states identifying as strongly Christian, are among the least racist.
    Countries that were not surveyed, but which would have been interesting: Panama, Israel, Cuba, North Korea and the Dominican Republic.
    Countries where the results are counter-intuitive: Pakistan, South Africa (high rate of racial violence), Hong Kong and the Philippines.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Fabulous Poster
    I don't see how India ended up in the 'red' on this map, I think it's ethnically diverse according to religion, but pretty much all the same stock racially.
    It's stunning when people who are as obsessed with race as these people are, say the things that they do. Half the time they are parroting the "academic" canon that "race doesn't exist". The other half the time they are making stupid remarks about race and racism.

I think America is a shining example (no bluster) of different races mixing in heromy. Yes we have problems but I see no other place in the world with such a diverse culture.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    It's stunning when people who are as obsessed with race as these people are, say the things that they do. Half the time they are parroting the "academic" canon that "race doesn't exist". The other half the time they are making stupid remarks about race and racism.
    This is because they hold contradictory opinions simultaneously, and don't have the intelligence to recognize it. Saying that race doesn't exist is imbecilic. Racial characteristics exist. There are variations of skin color, facial features, even body types, that are associated with persons from specific regions of the world. Those characteristics exist because they were evolutionary positives in those climates, and those who lacked them reproduced less often. However, once you acknowledge that race exists, you have the choice of how to deal with it. Do you presume that certain racial characteristics are determinative and discriminate against those who lack them, or do you accept that race should not matter when dealing with individuals? Do you base admissions to colleges, jobs, etc., on race, on the assumption that the proportions of a given set of characteristics in the general population and the proportions in the group that you are in charge of must be the same and that any variation is criminal? Or do you accept that individuals within racial groups, which also have cultural baggage attached as often as not, may be inclined towards different values regarding education, types of employment or other activities and allow individuals to make their own way in the world? The former solutions are those embraced by Progressives, both today and during the early 20th century, when they were more up front with their bigotries. The latter solutions are based on a respect for individual liberties.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    I think America is a shining example (no bluster) of different races mixing in heromy. Yes we have problems but I see no other place in the world with such a diverse culture.
    This is true, but I thank the British for the legacy of a relatively tolerant civil order. Most of the former British colonies are among the least racist states, especially the ones that were directly colonized (i.e., which were settled by Europeans, rather than large indigenous populations that were simply governed by them).

Another few things of interest on the map. With the glaring exception of France, the major European states are among the less racist countries. Again, note that countries that were mostly settled by Europeans tend to be less racist, while countries which were governed by Europeans, but not heavily settled, tend to be more racist. Relatively free countries tend to be less racist, while authoritarian regimes show more racism (note that Venezuela is the most racist state in South America, and that Russia, China are more racist than most western states) .

The big shock here is the low racism reaction in Pakistan and the high one in India. Historically, India has been extremely tolerant of other ethnic and religious groups, except where the Muslims ruled, while Pakistan is an extremely violent culture that is rife with sectarian violence and discrimination.

The other interesting thing is that if you draw a map of the old Caliphate, which covers the north of Africa and south of Asia, into the Pacific Islands, you see a belt of the most racist states, interspersed with states that were too dangerous to even try polling.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    This is because they hold contradictory opinions simultaneously, ............. Do you presume that certain racial characteristics are determinative and discriminate against those who lack them, or do you accept that race should not matter when dealing with individuals? Do you base admissions to colleges, jobs, etc., on race, on the assumption that the proportions of a given set of characteristics in the general population and the proportions in the group that you are in charge of must be the same and that any variation is criminal?
    All races are equal in all things

Diversity is good because different races bring different perspectives.

Race does not exist.

Diversity is good because different races working together enhance the outcome.

Race is a social construct.

We have 18% of our workforce that is black, the fact that they are all from New Hampshire and speak Dutch is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    All races are equal in all things

Diversity is good because different races bring different perspectives.

Race does not exist.

Diversity is good because different races working together enhance the outcome.

Race is a social construct.

We have 18% of our workforce that is black, the fact that they are all from New Hampshire and speak Dutch is irrelevant.

Well twinkle toes you go contact Obama and tell him that we are all one race and to remove any mention of race from all govt forms.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Well twinkle toes you go contact Obama and tell him that we are all one race and to remove any mention of race from all govt forms.
    I think he was making a joke about black dutch Mr. Bailey.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg