Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Do we know their DU names?
    All of them, I think.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

DSM-5 just came out with at least 7 'controversial' new mental disorders. Example: frequent temper tantrums are now attributed to disruptive mood dysregulation disorder.

Heard a caller on local talk radio posit that this is the new back door to gun control.

If a 'senior moment', bout of forgetfulness, hyperactivity as a child, or any other abnormal, but common behavioral occurrence can be attributed to a documented mental disorder, you could have three quarters of the populace pre-disqualified for gun ownership before they're voting age.
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other.
    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.

~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by ReinMan View Post
    DSM-5 just came out with at least 7 'controversial' new mental disorders. Example: frequent temper tantrums are now attributed to disruptive mood dysregulation disorder.

Heard a caller on local talk radio posit that this is the new back door to gun control.

If a 'senior moment', bout of forgetfulness, hyperactivity as a child, or any other abnormal, but common behavioral occurrence can be attributed to a documented mental disorder, you could have three quarters of the populace pre-disqualified for gun ownership before they're voting age.

I have to get a copy of the DSM 5. I heard a rumor that they were doing away with most personality disorders, including anti social personality disorder, which is the closest thing to a sociopath diagnosis that there is. I also was told that they are eliminating Aspberger's Syndrome as a diagnosis, and instead having different diagnosable degrees of autism.

I don't like ADHD/ADD being a diagnosed mental health condition. I'd rather see it as a diagnosed physical condition, which would limit the number of cases diagnosed that way, because it would put the power for making the diagnosis in the hands of a pediatrician, who is usually consulting with the parents throughout. A pediatric psychiatrist is only going to suggest medication for treatment. A pediatrician will probably suggest trying other things, first, like eating less processed food, getting more exercise, and so on. Also, the pediatrician has the ongoing relationship with the kid, and isn't just seeing him on a referral basis only.