Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Here's a Dummie conundrum: "Pregnant girlfriend tricked into taking abortion pill" 
    Pregnant girlfriend tricked into taking abortion pill; 'The baby was lost'

Baitball Blogger

TAMPA - John Andrew Welden did not want to be a father, authorities say.

So when his girlfriend got pregnant, prosecutors say, Welden faked a prescription for an abortion pill, switched a label so the medication appeared to be a common antibiotic, and gave her the drug.

snip

The woman didn't have medical insurance so Welden arranged for her to see his father, Stephen Welden, a practicing OB/GYN doctor. On March 28, the woman had a sonogram and learned her unborn baby was viable and healthy, Muldrow said.

"In a cold, premeditated fashion," Muldrow said, Welden forged his father's signature to obtain a prescription for the abortion drug Misoprostol, also known as Cytotec. On March 29, Welden obtained the drug from a local pharmacy and removed the label, replacing it with one that said Amoxicillin, a common antibiotic, and the woman's name.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,3219897.story
    So now, of course, they're trying to figure out what the crime is over there:

Nye Bevan

17. I'm glad he's been charged with murder (nt)

libodem

35. Nye

I know this is a criminal act but this a wrong road to champion, as far as I'm concerned. It will roll back our options if a fetus is considered a fully capable breathing born life, at 2-3 months gestation. They already occasionally, lock up women who have a miscarriage.

Nye Bevan

37. OK, I see your point.

We don't need to call it "murder". As long as the penalty is still the same.

libodem

38. Some punishment is clearly

Deserved. This was a callous act of cowardice. I'm with you on that!

PeaceNikki

39. I am not. The "Protection of Unborn Children Act" is prolife bullshit

A forced abortion or miscarriage is totally an assault against the woman, not the fetus. It should not center on the fetus at all, which is part of the woman's body. A woman's pregnancy becomes part of HER identity and personhood while she's pregnant. Laws that bypass her and give any status or protection to the fetus regardless of gestation are harmful and discriminatory against women, and devalue women as persons.

Also, I think the issue of 'choice' in this situation is a red herring. If an assaulted woman's pregnancy is unwanted - even if she gets assaulted on the way to the abortion clinic and miscarries, it's just as serious a crime as an assault against a woman with a much-wanted pregnancy.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    May the FORCE be with you!

There was one idiot who said he should be charged with murder, MAKE UP YOUR MINDS, its either a child or a clump of cells. You can't have it both ways.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

libodem

35. Nye

I know this is a criminal act but this a wrong road to champion, as far as I'm concerned. It will roll back our options if a fetus is considered a fully capable breathing born life, at 2-3 months gestation. They already occasionally, lock up women who have a miscarriage.

What state locks up women who have miscarriages? Did I miss that somewhere? I'd love to see documentation of that claim.

PeaceNikki

39. I am not. The "Protection of Unborn Children Act" is prolife bullshit

A forced abortion or miscarriage is totally an assault against the woman, not the fetus. It should not center on the fetus at all, which is part of the woman's body. A woman's pregnancy becomes part of HER identity and personhood while she's pregnant. Laws that bypass her and give any status or protection to the fetus regardless of gestation are harmful and discriminatory against women, and devalue women as persons.

Also, I think the issue of 'choice' in this situation is a red herring. If an assaulted woman's pregnancy is unwanted - even if she gets assaulted on the way to the abortion clinic and miscarries, it's just as serious a crime as an assault against a woman with a much-wanted pregnancy.
    PeaceNikki must be all kinds of fun at parties. She's partially correct, in that these are crimes against the woman, but her refusal to see it as a crime against the life that the woman is carrying, and her shrill tirade against any protection for a fetus "regardless of gestation" eventually leads to Kermit Gosnell and his house of horrors.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

PeaceNikki

Laws that bypass her and give any status or protection to the fetus regardless of gestation are harmful and discriminatory against women, and devalue women as persons.
    Wow.

Considering that at 8 months and 30 days the baby is still technically a fetus, this person is one sick individual.
    Be Not Afraid.

The crime would be something along the lines of poisoning, or administering a drug without consent.

I am opposed to morning after pills being sold to anyone without a prescription, although this scenario was not my reason for that oppostion. My reason is that there are serious possible complications from the morning after pill, with women who have some underlying conditions. The Health Center at WMU prescribed it for girls who "forgot" (were too drunk to remember) to use birth control. They'd be sick for a couple of days after taking it. A doctor should examine a woman and go over her health history with her before prescribing a morning after pill.

Boyfriends like this guy are just one more reason to keep it prescription only.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    The crime would be something along the lines of poisoning, or administering a drug without consent.

I am opposed to morning after pills being sold to anyone without a prescription, although this scenario was not my reason for that oppostion. My reason is that there are serious possible complications from the morning after pill, with women who have some underlying conditions. The Health Center at WMU prescribed it for girls who "forgot" (were too drunk to remember) to use birth control. They'd be sick for a couple of days after taking it. A doctor should examine a woman and go over her health history with her before prescribing a morning after pill.

No doubt a skilled and ethical practicioner like Kermit Gosnell will provide all of the necessary oversight for a woman who needs to take such a pill.

My problem with it is, like yours, there are potentially severe complications which require oversight, and the abortion cult doesn't do oversight or common sense. For example, a girl who was too drunk to use birth control is too drunk to give consent during the act, but pointing that out to her might infringe on her self-esteem (while being used as a party favor presumably wouldn't), so we cannot point out that her behavior has consequences. Just take the pill, or wait and have it done in a clinic, then rinse and repeat as needed.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post

This is another example of people using the "morning after pill" and "RU 486" (mife/misopristol) interchangeably. This was an established pregnancy; the morning after pill ("Plan B") would not have affected it. This was caused by a drug that IS prescription only.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    This is another example of people using the "morning after pill" and "RU 486" (mife/misopristol) interchangeably. This was an established pregnancy; the morning after pill ("Plan B") would not have affected it. This was caused by a drug that IS prescription only.
    Correct. That is why the boyfriend's father's profession figures into the story.

The woman didn't have medical insurance so Welden arranged for her to see his father, Stephen Welden, a practicing OB/GYN doctor.
    The guy later used his dad's subscription pad to forge a script.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    But life does not begin when the fertilized egg is implants into the uterus, it begins at conception, as soon as the sperm fertilizes the egg a unique and individual human life begins.