Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Are they gonna let lesbians into the girl scouts?

They have been doing so for many years-decades. I was a GS in the 70s and at one point had a semi-openly gay leader. She took us camping and never molested a single one of us. At least 2 male teachers from the middle school I was attending during those years have been convicted of sexually molesting girls from their classes, however.

My thing with the Boy Scout ban is not so much with their ban on having gay staff as it is with a ban on gay scouts. When a boy becomes a Cub Scout, he doesn't necessarily know he's gay at that age. I think it's wrong to kick him out at some future point in time, even if his behavior within BSA and the community is above reproach, simply because he is attracted to other boys.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeEDay View Post
    [edit] O.k .. I thought about this for the past couple of minutes, and let me rephrase this. The boy scouts voted to allow gay members and leaders in. I do not agree with this, but in the same turn, they are a private group that can do what they want. So if they want to do this. Then more power to them. They just buckled under that pressure. I will not be supporting them anymore, though. [/edit]

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-vote/2352077/

This leads me to wonder if the Girl Scouts will follow suit?
    Girl scouts have always been more open minded. That's because they're girls and they're awesome. lol.

Seriously...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_Sc..._gender_issues

As a private organization, Girl Scouts of the U.S.A. respects the values and beliefs of each of its members and does not intrude into personal matters. Therefore, there are no membership policies on sexual preference. However, Girl Scouts of the U.S.A. has firm standards relating to the appropriate conduct of adult volunteers and staff. The Girl Scout organization does not condone or permit sexual displays of any sort by its members during Girl Scout activities, nor does it permit the advocacy or promotion of a personal lifestyle or sexual preference. These are private matters for girls and their families to address.
    In January 2012, a teen in California created a video calling for the boycott of Girl Scout Cookies due to a troop in Colorado accepting in a transgender child. [63].
    I think it's funny how conservatives didn't think this was intolerant, but yet the boycott of Chick-fil-a was. I know. It's different. It just is. We don't know how it is, but it is. /saracsm

I have never liked the position of boy scouts on gay members. It's not so much that I think the organization should be about gay rights. It's that I think it's good to include all children. I signed a petition a while back on change.org. It was about a teenager who had been a boy scout all his life (long before he came out as gay), had been working for all these badges for years. It was about to be taken away from him because he was gay. How is that morally right?

I still sometimes showed my support for boy scouts because I knew it was a good thing for other little boys to get into, but I'm very happy that they're being more inclusive.

You can let these people in and apply the no public displays of affection rule, as I'm sure they already have.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    This is called foot in door, a gay activist on Fox said they weren't finished yet and you can bet they aren't.
    Next will be openly gay scout leaders and of course there is always the push for legal pedophilia in the background.
    Whether by homosexuals or heterosexuals our children are being eyed as prey by predators, Something to be used as toys for their gratification and then thrown away to deal with the emotional problems the best they can.
    And people wonder why conservatives are being viewed as hateful homophobes.

Gays are not even in the same ballpark as pedophiles. Pedophiles hurt children.

And if you want to talk about emotional problems to have to deal with, let's talk about the emotional problems that homosexual kids have to deal with from "adults" like you who want to kick them out of an organization they've been part of for years.

Yep, I'm keeping my progressive values. No way would I ever consider the other side after reading crap like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post

And if you want to talk about emotional problems to have to deal with, let's talk about the emotional problems that homosexual kids have to deal with from "adults" like you who want to kick them out of an organization they've been part of for years.

Yep, I'm keeping my progressive values. No way would I ever consider the other side after reading crap like that.

Rock speaks for himself, not all conservatives, Lanie. I am conservative and I don't give a rat's ass about anyone's sexual orientation as long as it doesn't intrude on another's rights. You need to understand that one can be a fiscal Conservative without being a social Conservative. Unlike "progressives" (aka Liberals), the Conservative label does not require one to march in lock-step with other Conservatives on all of the issues. The intolerance that exists among Liberals is often made manifest when they turn on their own like rabid dogs whenever one of them espouses a view that doesn't meet the needs of the group. I have seen such behavior far more often among Liberals than I have among Conservatives. The choice of which side you associate with comes down to which one accepts free thinkers more. This is why I call myself a Conservative and will never call myself a Liberal or Progressive or whatever neat little moniker the Left adopts to mask its true intentions from the uninformed.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Rock speaks for himself, not all conservatives, Lanie. I am conservative and I don't give a rat's ass about anyone's sexual orientation as long as it doesn't intrude on another's rights. You need to understand that one can be a fiscal Conservative without being a social Conservative. Unlike "progressives" (aka Liberals), the Conservative label does not require one to march in lock-step with other Conservatives on all of the issues. The intolerance that exists among Liberals is often made manifest when they turn on their own like rabid dogs whenever one of them espouses a view that doesn't meet the needs of the group. I have seen such behavior far more often among Liberals than I have among Conservatives. The choice of which side you associate with comes down to which one accepts free thinkers more. This is why I call myself a Conservative and will never call myself a Liberal or Progressive or whatever neat little moniker the Left adopts to mask its true intentions from the uninformed.
    ^^^ What he said.

But I still think the BSA is wrong.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    ^^^ What he said.

But I still think the BSA is wrong.
    You wouldn't if you were a gay teenager who is still dorky enough to want to be a scout. I don't mean that to denigrate scouting. I mean that there are 14 year olds and 15 year olds who are on the fast track to adulthood, who can't wait to out grow simple pleasures, quaint and wholesome pastimes, and who want to dress like "goths" and go to concerts. There are others the same age who live and breath little league or high school sports (high school starts at 14/15 now) . And there are some for whom scouting is a great source of pleasure and pride.

Scouting bored me to death and took precious daylight free time away. I liked being in the church choir. A social life through church was a safe place for me when our neighborhood and school were going down the tubes in my 7th grade year. I was a geek who thought he was hip. I can't imagine having the church turn on me that year. I would imagine that having the scouts turn on you after years of membership is a huge betrayal.

I'm glad you're able to be a free thinker as a conservative. I've almost never felt like I could be a free thinker around conservatives (except for SOMETIMES on boards, almost never in real life). It's with us or against us. And maybe it's because of where I live. Liberals are the minority here, so they know they can't be too picky. By contrast, conservatives here know they can be as picky as they want.

In any case, I think I was too rough earlier. I don't want conservatives to agree with me in regards to whether homosexuality is moral (i.e. a sin, that's what it comes down to for most conservatives IMO). The issue is that i just don't think homosexuals are being treated enough like human beings. They're not monsters and yet people speak of them like they are. I wish they wouldn't do that.

Anyone who thinks in this day and age that guys aren't treated ad human beings is either living in a cave it one of the biggest ducking morons on the planet. I'm going with the lawyer in this case.

This stupid ruling is just another step in the overall moral decline of the country being forced on the majority by a small minority.

Sad day for the Scouts.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Anyone who thinks in this day and age that guys aren't treated ad human beings is either living in a cave it one of the biggest ducking morons on the planet. I'm going with the lawyer in this case.

This stupid ruling is just another step in the overall moral decline of the country being forced on the majority by a small minority.

Sad day for the Scouts.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Have you ever considered the possibility that, if homosexuality is immoral, perhaps it is construcive for individuals "afflicted" with that condition to be exposed to an institution that teaches moral behavior as part of its curriculum. After all, if you have compassion, as Jesus suggested his followers should, then barring a gay young man from said exposure is tantamount to depriving a man who is ill of much needed medication. To do so is every bit as immoral as the sin you seek to ostricize by refusing gays admission into the Boy Scouts of America, no?
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post

Keep your progressive values, it's your privilege. I don't agree with you on almost anything, but that's my privilege. It doesn't mean either of us are bad people, just differ in our value systems. As far as kids getting hurt, I suspect far more kids have emotional scars from predatory gays. A friend of mine had both sons affected for years by a predatory priest, kicked out by the church in Boston, who made his way to another city. He set himself up as a counselor. What a set up---in a position of authority and trust. Sort of like the way a scout leader might be. Sorry, just don't agree with you, Lanie.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"