May 22, 2013|Jim Forsyth | Reuters
SAN ANTONIO (Reuters) - Accused Fort Hood shooting spree gunman Major Nidal Hasan asked a U.S. military judge on Wednesday for permission to fire his court-appointed lawyers and represent himself at his court martial, a Fort Hood spokesman said.
The judge, Colonel Tara Osborn, will consider Hasan's request at a hearing next week. Jury selection, which had been scheduled to begin next week, has been pushed back to June 5, the spokesman said.
Hasan, 42, has been charged with killing 13 people and wounding 32 others when he opened fire on a group of soldiers at Fort Hood who were preparing to deploy to Iraq in November 2009. He faces a possible death sentence if convicted on the charges.
Hasan, an Army psychiatrist, is paralyzed from the chest down from gunshots fired by two civilian Fort Hood police officers who ended what was the worst shooting at a U.S. military installation.
He has twice asked that the death penalty be removed so he could plead guilty to the shootings, a request Osborn has refused. Under the Uniform Code of Military Justice, Hasan cannot plead guilty to a capital crime.
Maybe if he self-represents we can get rid of this notion some folks have that this is work place violence and take a common sense approach to Islam control.