1. #1 Midland Ainít Pretty, but It Works 
    Why this Texas town is thriving while Cleveland sinks.

New figures from the Bureau of Labor Statistics confirm what everybody already knows: If youíre looking for a job in Cleveland, Ohio, your best bet is a one-way ticket to Midland, Texas.

Midland is not the most scenic spot in the United States. (Its sister city, Odessa, was described as ďthe worst town in the worldĒ in Larry McMurtryís Texasville.) Imagine one square mile of downtown Atlanta plopped into the middle of a largely featureless savannah and youíll have the idea. But the average rent on an apartment there is nearly twice what it is in nearby cities of comparable size, and rents are up more than 20 percent year over year ó if you are lucky enough to get an apartment. Official unemployment is about 3 percent; real unemployment is effectively zero. The reason for that is a booming energy industry. But itís a different kind of boom: Whereas previous Texas oil-and-gas booms have been driven largely by prices, this boom is under way when oil prices are high but not dramatically so, and natural-gas prices are on the low side (last year, they were at 13-year lows). This isnít a price bubble, but real production improvements driven by technological advances.

Nellwyn Barnett of the Midland Chamber of Commerce is not telling any fairy tales. Sure, the capital of the West Texas oil patch has tried to diversify its economy, and has had some success, but itís still an energy town. ďEnergy is our bread and butter, our primary industry,Ē she says. ďRather than try to paint a picture of a diversified economy for the media, we embrace energy. But there has been a great deal of diversification within the industry, which gives us a lot more stability than weíve had in our past.Ē While wind energy is a significant economic presence on the edges of the Permian Basin, hydraulic fracturing and horizontal drilling mean that oil-and-gas outfits can go after more sources of energy from previously impractical locations. And horizontal drilling means that they can do so with less surface-level environmental impact.
    Among the non-energy businesses setting up shop in Midland, the city is particularly proud of XCOR, a private aerospace firm specializing in suborbital flight and rocket-engine development. Both its headquarters and its R&D facilities are relocating from their original location in Mojave, Calif. In addition to the obvious economic benefits, the move will confer a unique distinction on the city: Midland International will be the only facility in the United States that is both a commercial airport and a designated spaceport.

Spacecraft and oil rigs might seem to be miles apart, but in truth the two high-tech industries have a great deal in common: a constant need for engineers, technicians, and scientists, a focus on materials development (XCOR has a line in developing non-flammable plastics), and shared environmental concerns.

Like their counterparts in the rest of the country, Midlandís oil-and-gas operators have been collaborating to keep ahead of environmental issues, working from the theory that they are better off in the long run going above and beyond what the law requires than pushing the envelope with the EPA and state regulators. Case in point: The sand dune lizard, as homely a West Texas creature as there is, had become a candidate for the endangered-species list. Rather than wait around for environmental regulators to tell them what they may and may not do in the lizardís habitat, energy companies in Texas and New Mexico got together with state lawmakers, drew up their own conservation action plan, and presented it to the Fish and Wildlife Service, which signed off on voluntary conservation agreements that will protect nearly 90 percent of the lizardís habitat. (Texas comptroller Susan Combs, who announced on Wednesday that she would not seek elected office again in 2014, was instrumental in putting the deal together.)

ďRather than say, ĎWe canít do this,í weíre saying ĎHow can we do this while maintaining the ecosystem?íĒ Barnett says. ďThe current legal standards may be good for today, but what about tomorrow? Weíre taking a long-term approach.Ē

http://nationalreview.com/article/34...n-d-williamson
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Not sure why the author says Midland's not pretty. W. Texas is beautiful.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

With apologies to Ian Hunter:

All this energy callin' me
    fracked from a shale oil mass
    We lost our crude attitude,
    we switched to natural gas

Every hungry mouth that is goin' south goes
    Midland rocks, Midland rocks

Jumpin' George Bush and a pipeline push go

Obama knows but he don't care,
    He's got his worries too
    Benghazi, AP and IRS,
    and Eric Holder too

All the workin' men who are on top again go
    Workin' their fill with a deep bore drill goin'

I got my values from World War II
    I work hard just like me grand dad do
    He was an oil man and I am too
    Now Cleveland rocks, now Cleveland rocks
    Midland rocks, Texas!
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    With apologies to Ian Hunter:

All this energy callin' me
    fracked from a shale oil mass
    We lost our crude attitude,
    we switched to natural gas

Every hungry mouth that is goin' south goes

Jumpin' George Bush and a pipeline push go

Obama knows but he don't care,
    He's got his worries too
    Benghazi, AP and IRS,
    and Eric Holder too

All the workin' men who are on top again go
    Workin' their fill with a deep bore drill goin'

I got my values from World War II
    I work hard just like me grand dad do
    He was an oil man and I am too
    Now Cleveland rocks, now Cleveland rocks
    Midland rocks, Texas!
    That.is.AWESOME!

From the OP:

Imagine one square mile of downtown Atlanta plopped into the middle of a largely featureless savannah and you’ll have the idea.

How about the fact that the place is almost dead center of the largest (by land area) oak forest in the world?

But you can't drink the water unless you were born there.
    Last edited by Retread; 05-31-2013 at 01:33 PM.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    From the OP:

Imagine one square mile of downtown Atlanta plopped into the middle of a largely featureless savannah and youíll have the idea.
    How about the fact that the place is almost dead center of the largest (by land area) oak forest in the world?

But you can't drink the water unless you were born there.
    Eh...he's just giving a Yankee's opinion of what we call God's country.

I'm glad to see my hometown thriving again...they've survived a lot...the oil bust in 1983 then $10 a barrel oil an $1.50 Mmcf natural gas prices.

Maybe now my dad can retire and pass the business he runs on to my brother.