Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Why did MSNBC finish 4th in the ratings this year? 
    link

hahahahahahahahaha

kentuck (66,349 posts)

Why did MSNBC finish 4th in the ratings this year?
    <snip>
    MSNBC got some very tough ratings news on Wednesday.

Another month of big crime and disaster news saw the network struggle to keep up with rivals CNN, HLN and Fox News. MSNBC was presumably expecting some dropoff from its 2012 numbers, since that was an election year, but it still landed in fourth place behind the other channels, a victim of HLN's Jodi Arias-fueled surge and of President Obama's scandal-ridden, defensive month. Overall, MSNBC saw its lowest total day viewer numbers since 2007, and its lowest prime time numbers since 2009.

MSNBC's prime time numbers were down across the board. Rachel Maddow delivered what the Hollywood Reporter said were her lowest total viewing figures in her show's history, and she even fell behind timeslot rival Piers Morgan—a very rare victory for the CNN host. Chris Hayes also delivered sharply lower ratings than the man he replaced, Ed Schultz, did in 2012. Both of them, along with hosts from Chris Matthews to Al Sharpton to Martin Bashir, landed in fourth place in their timeslots—a marked change from their normal second-place status. ("Morning Joe" did manage to come in second in its slot in total viewers.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3354785.html
    Star Member dogknob (1,567 posts)
    1. Because more people are understanding that the "liberal media" is a myth. n/t
    Whisp (17,266 posts)
    20. yes. Ever since their stupid 'Obama blew the debate, the world is ending' stupidity

and focused on that rather than the lie fest Romney held during that debate.

Ever since, I look at them with sneering eyes.

Maybe more people than I took that as a turning point.
    tokenlib (3,504 posts)
    4. Remember Ed going to Madison, and Keith and Ed helping the free health clinics...

Both Ed and Keith had the emotion, empathy thing. And I for one miss it. Heck, Al Sharpton has a difficult time bringing himself to be critical about anything the Obama crew does.. a bit disappointing..

Too much wonky cerebral stuff now...
    kratos00 (78 posts)
    5. I'll make it simple for folks but I doubt they will like it

MSNBC has been very critical of Obama. This not a value judgement on wether they should or shouldn't be, it's just a fact. People who tend to watch MSNBC are generally fans of the Democratic Party and Obama and they just don't like hearing this criticism, even if they personally feel its warranted. Partisans like stories that paint their side in a good light, they don't like stories that are critical of their side. So that's my theory, folks just don't want to hear bad news and criticism about Barack. On the other hand Fox knows their audience and they provide programming specifically that appeals to their mouth breathing nut bags. They promote attack stories on the Dems and they downplay or outright ignore stories that are critical of their side.
    Star Member Savannahmann (554 posts)
    15. Generally speaking, because people don't believe them.

When another responder said that MSNBC was critical, that was by our standards. Critical by the dedicated supporters of the Democratic Party is to say that this wasn't done exactly right, and then launch into attacks of those who are objecting.

The problem is this. Those scandals, all have some meat to them. The administration answers have gone from the ludicrous to the asinine. I said the scandals have some meat, but not nearly a fraction of what the Rethugs say. Our answers have been unbelievable to the average citizen. Most people want an independent review of the IRS actions to find out who did what, and who knew about it. Yet, our answer is to announce that there will be no investigation, no second looks, and no Congress can't ask any more questions. At the same time we appoint Eric Holder to investigate his own actions into the subpoena's of Reporters Phone Records. That doesn't throw fuel on the fire, it throws the fire into the fuel tank.

We could have, should have been up front and honest from day one. We could have, should have done everything possible to eliminate possibilities that the image taken by the people was of a cover-up. As I said, from the asinine, to the ludicrous.

MSNBC continues to sound much as we do, that is to say it is all nothing but nonsense from the Rethugs. Well, there may be some truth to that, but not enough to generate viewership. Instead the others, that are taking harder looks at our President, are doing better. I heard on the news that more than 70% of the people want an independent prosecutor to look into the IRS. Instead, we are going to appoint a Bush Co lackey into the FBI, where he's either going to crawl up our assess and make us look great, or go hog wild with his investigate everyone attitude from the Bush Co era and make us look like the overbearing Government that the RW says we are. Either way, we lose.

For having so many smart people in the White House, we sure are doing a lot of dumb things.
    Spike89 (1,498 posts)
    17. My theory--we need less help thinking than the right

All the "news" networks really specialize in analysis and commentary to fill the airtime. Liberals/Democrats are in general more educated than conservatives/republicans and more capable and likely to visit true news sources (on the Web, reading newspapers/magazines). Tea party types are more likely to rely on Fox, Limbaugh, and other commentators to frame their "news" and explain how it fits within their worldview.

Secondarily, it is always a benefit for these ideologically-slanted programs to be on the "outside". Rush made his career being the opposition to Bill Clinton's administration--his popularity and influence waned somewhat during Bush's time in office.
    Fla_Democrat (1,859 posts)
    19. Wait, whut?

I thought they were kicking ass....

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022605217

Fox News Ratings Plunge To New Lows...MSNBC Gloats In Press Release

Less than 2 months ago, Fox was being swept into the dustbin of history, what gives?

That was a Huffingtonpost story too..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3001096.html

Living out in the sticks with no cable.. it's hard to keep up.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    There have been numerous threads about that today Carol. All of the DUmmy excuses are hilarious.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Everyone gets their news from DU, DUmmy. Don't you know that.

Oh, and MSNBC...ha ha. Put out a shitty product, get shitty ratings. It's a concept that is as old as time itself.
    Be Not Afraid.

Everyone gets their news from DU, DUmmy. Don't you know that.

Oh, and MSNBC...ha ha. Put out a shitty product, get shitty ratings. It's a concept that is as old as time itself.
    It's no wonder they are ignorant of everything but liberal spin.

entuck (66,349 posts)

Why did MSNBC finish 4th in the ratings this year?

Hmmm...and I'm just spitballing here...maybe it's because...

THEY SUCK!!!!
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

They consider the majority of the viewing public to be "mouth-breathing nutbags" and yet wonder why no one with a brain watches their Liberal buddies on MSNBC? Do the morons even listen to the words that come out of their mouths?

The stupidity is astounding.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Star Member dogknob (1,567 posts)
    1. Because more people are understanding that the "liberal media" is a myth. n/t

May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    They consider the majority of the viewing public to be "mouth-breathing nutbags" and yet wonder why no one with a brain watches their Liberal buddies on MSNBC? Do the morons even listen to the words that come out of their mouths?

QFT
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

They refuse to even hear, much less intellectually entertain another prospective. DU is MSNBC's target audience. But they are so damn brilliant (and open minded of course ) they don't require outside news sources, hence low ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post

These are the same type of people who couldn't figure out how Nixon got reelected in an election where he carries 49 of 50 states and 60% of the popular vote because they didn't know anyone who voted for him.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.