Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 "This Is Getting To Be Ridiculous "FDA warns of instant coffee in U.S. from China 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    "This Is Getting To Be Ridiculous "FDA warns of instant coffee in U.S. from China
    Mr. Brown brand may be tainted with industrial chemical, officials say

The coffee and tea products being recalled are:

Mr. Brown Mandheling Blend Instant Coffee (3-in-1)
    Mr. Brown Arabica Instant Coffee (3-in-1)
    Mr. Brown Blue Mountain Blend Instant Coffee (3-in-1)
    Mr. Brown Caramel Macchiato Instant Coffee (3-in-1)
    Mr. Brown French Vanilla Instant Coffee (3-in-1)
    Mr. Brown Mandhling Blend instant Coffee (2-in-1)
    Mr. Brown Milk Tea (3-in-1)
    The products were manufactured by China's Shandong Duqing Inc, the FDA said.

The agency also warned consumers not to eat White Rabbit Creamy Candy after New Zealand authorities reported melamine contamination "at high levels." The maker has recalled its exports of the candies to more than 50 countries and stopped domestic sales in China.

Power CUer
    I haven't bought anything marked as being from China for several years now. It can be done.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Remember - we don't need any government regulation to protect us. Give it to the dog for a week. If he doesn't kick the bucket - you're in the clear.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Remember - we don't need any government regulation to protect us. Give it to the dog for a week. If he doesn't kick the bucket - you're in the clear.
    Maybe we don't need people who eat something called "White Rabbit Creamy Candy". :p

Besides, why do you see this as regulatory problem? Conservative aren't against regulating food purity in mass market products. They just feel that if you personally want to buy unpasteurized raw milk and dairy products from local sources that you should be able to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Besides, why do you see this as regulatory problem?
    If these products are allowed to enter any American food chains - people in the regulatory sphere - charged with protecting the tax paying public, should be investigated, prosecuted and jailed for negligence.

China equates to crap. Always assume crap and dangerous ingredients - and regulate accordingly.

Let dope users leave the prisons and make room for these utter assholes that have (gee, here’s a shocking statement) ‘gone to sleep at the switch.’

If I visually recondition helicopter parts and return them to service - with tags that identify them as ‘airworthy’ guess where I get to go?
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    If these products are allowed to enter any American food chains - people in the regulatory sphere - charged with protecting the tax paying public, should be investigated, prosecuted and jailed for negligence.

China equates to crap. Always assume crap and dangerous ingredients - and regulate accordingly.

Let dope users leave the prisons and make room for these utter assholes that have (gee, here’s a shocking statement) ‘gone to sleep at the switch.’

If I visually recondition helicopter parts and return them to service - with tags that identify them as ‘airworthy’ guess where I get to go?
    There aren't enough inspectors to catch everything and there never have been. It's always a trade-off between inspection and through-put. Since people are well aware of the potential problems from Chinese food products (and other things), maybe they should just stop buying those things.

Power CUer
    There aren't enough inspectors to catch everything and there never have been. It's always a trade-off between inspection and through-put. Since people are well aware of the potential problems from Chinese food products (and other things), maybe they should just stop buying those things.
    As I said, we haven't bought anything Chinese for years. Things are well enough sourced that you can avoid it. You have to be willing to pay more money, and that's where people's resolve breaks down, I guess.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Since people are well aware of the potential problems from Chinese food products (and other things), maybe they should just stop buying those things.
    Oh, you mean the public. Shit - for a moment there I thought you were expecting Wal-Mart (and others) to be a responsible corporation and not import the stuff. My bad. :o

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    As I said, we haven't bought anything Chinese for years. Things are well enough sourced that you can avoid it. You have to be willing to pay more money, and that's where people's resolve breaks down, I guess.
    The food thing seems easy enough to avoid. If you want a three piece plastic funnel set made in America for under $3.00 bucks, that might be a little difficult.

Power CUer
    Wal-Mart has every reason to import it as long as people are buying. They will stop once it is not profitable. Consumer purchasing at all levels is about to dry up considerably.