Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Professor: ‘Follow your dreams’ is cruel advice 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    This is right up these loser's alley!!!

Sun Jun 2, 2013, 07:18 PM
    cynatnite

Professor: ‘Follow your dreams’ is cruel advice

With graduation season in full swing, students across the nation are being told the key to success is to “follow your dreams.”

But Professor Lisa Wade of Occidental College argues the idealistic cliche has no real value to students — and verges on being harmful.

“I think it is actually kind of cruel to give that advice,” she said on HuffPost Live. “First, because a lot of students don’t know what they want to do and so they feel this incredible pressure to figure out what their passion is just at that one moment.”

“Second of all, I think it is just absurd to think that the majority of Americans are going to be able to follow their passions, to get paid to do what you love,” Wade continued. “Historically speaking, that has been incredibly rare and is still incredibly rare. So I think it sets students up for failure.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/0...-cruel-advice/
    So in DUmmyWorld, you may as well just shoot yourself now and be done with it!

What a depressing collection of losers.
    May the FORCE be with you!

2. #2 Professor: ‘Follow your dreams’ is cruel advice 
    Dummy translation: anything involving a lifetime of hard work to achieve one's dreams is soooo cruel.
    "Asakatsu Magatsu"

True victory is victory over oneself.

~ Morihei Ueshiba O-Sensei ~

Fabulous Poster
    .... looking for a position in the non-profit sector......

Classified:

Looking for an executive position. Salary in the mid 6 figures, 10 paid holidays and 48 weeks of vacation.

--------------------------------

On the OP question.
    Do what you love, the money will come.
    Do what you love and you will never work a day in your life.

The only way to never get the dream is to never chase it.

This all comes from one who says of his working life - It was all an accident.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    This is right up these loser's alley!!!

So in DUmmyWorld, you may as well just shoot yourself now and be done with it!

What a depressing collection of losers.
    And I'm glad that they're such a collection of losers. That way I don't have to look far for amusement and comedy. The DUmbasses provide much entertainment with their idiocy and depression.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Actually, the original speaker had an excellent point, completely misconstrued by the DUmmies to fit their own depressing worldview, of course. 'Following your dream' is why we don't have enough technicians, engineers and scientists, and waaaay too many unemployed history, English, fine art, anthropology, psychology, political 'Science' (Cough), and 'General studies' majors laying around their parents' basements.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    Actually, the original speaker had an excellent point, completely misconstrued by the DUmmies to fit their own depressing worldview, of course. 'Following your dream' is why we don't have enough technicians, engineers and scientists, and waaaay too many unemployed history, English, fine art, anthropology, psychology, political 'Science' (Cough), and 'General studies' majors laying around their parents' basements.
    Does anyone really dream of being a General Studies major?

The guys who have a passion for history or art or any of the other disciplines cited aren't the problem, the problem is that those degrees have become catchalls for various slackers who seek to spend college wasting their parents' money and prolonging their adolescence for as long as possible. I have a BFA in media, illustration and cartooning (arguably the only one in the army), and worked for years as an illustrator before going active, but the vast majority of people that I went to school with didn't do anything with their degrees. The point is not that you shouldn't follow your dream, but that you shouldn't follow it off of a cliff.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Lots of people pursue their dreams during their off time until they come far enough that they can make a living at it, or they realize it isn't going to work. On their deathbeds, people regret the things they didn't try.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Does anyone really dream of being a General Studies major?

The guys who have a passion for history or art or any of the other disciplines cited aren't the problem, the problem is that those degrees have become catchalls for various slackers who seek to spend college wasting their parents' money and prolonging their adolescence for as long as possible.
    You seriously overestimate the average talent level of people who 'Have dreams.' And yes, there are people who have been raised to believe that just getting ANY degree, even GS, is their dream.

Fabulous Poster
    I have a nephew who majored in Theater. Now he's working on becoming a cop. There's a joke in there somewhere.

PS- I'm not putting him down, he's been doing that of late all by himself. I try to keep him up, explaining that there are many people who change their career trajectory at 32 years old. I have also offered to help pay for him to go back to school. Hell, I am only two payments away from paying off one college tuition plan, it's not like I am used to having the money laying around.