Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    You seriously overestimate the average talent level of people who 'Have dreams.' And yes, there are people who have been raised to believe that just getting ANY degree, even GS, is their dream.
    I think that the solution to this is simple:

    When someone wants to get a degree in Gender Studies or The Habsburgs and Sacred Music, you simply tell them they have to pay for their own degree, up front.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,586
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    Actually, the original speaker had an excellent point, completely misconstrued by the DUmmies to fit their own depressing worldview, of course. 'Following your dream' is why we don't have enough technicians, engineers and scientists, and waaaay too many unemployed history, English, fine art, anthropology, psychology, political 'Science' (Cough), and 'General studies' majors laying around their parents' basements.


    I deal with kids who think they are going to play in the NBA. I try to get them to come up with a back-up plan, and they don't want to hear it. I'm even positive-I point out how many professional sports careers have been cut short by injuries. I tell them that for every professional athlete, there are plenty of people working behind the scenes to make that person/team successful.


    Incidentally, there are plenty of jobs out there for people with degrees in psychology. State governments need them for their foster care, CPS, delinquency, mental health and prison systems. As far as foster care and delinquency are concerned, there are also plenty of private agencies that are always hiring.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I deal with kids who think they are going to play in the NBA. I try to get them to come up with a back-up plan, and they don't want to hear it. I'm even positive-I point out how many professional sports careers have been cut short by injuries. I tell them that for every professional athlete, there are plenty of people working behind the scenes to make that person/team successful.


    Incidentally, there are plenty of jobs out there for people with degrees in psychology. State governments need them for their foster care, CPS, delinquency, mental health and prison systems. As far as foster care and delinquency are concerned, there are also plenty of private agencies that are always hiring.
    Dennis Prager has a speech in which he explains to high school boys the statistics and likelihood of being a professional sports player, what can be expected in earnings, and how it compares to some professions and trades.

    My air conditioning man will make more in his career than the average pro-ball player.


    So you are a high school athlete and you say that you want to be an NFL football player? Then you better sit down and take a hard look at these facts:

    According to the NFL Players Association, about 100,000 high school students play football.
    Of those high school players, 215 will go on to play for an NFL team.
    Therefore, only 0.2 percent of all high school football players will make it to the NFL.
    About 9,000 players make it to the college level.
    If a player makes it to college about 310 of them will actually make it to the NFL draft.
    The NFL roster cap is 53 players and there are 32 teams, so there are 1,696 players in the NFL each season.
    The NFL Players Association indicates that the average football player's career is only three seasons long. Most players do not have guaranteed contracts, and may find themselves suddenly out of work because they were cut or because of injury. Around 400 NFL players end their NFL careers each year.

    While the NFL's big-name stars may earn millions each year, average NFL players do not. In 2010, the minimum wage was $325,000 a season for rookies, going up to $395,000 in a player's second year and $470,000 in their third year.


    So my AC guy who earns about $200K per year (by working his ass off) will make something like $6,000,000 over 30 years (half of which will go to his eventually ex wife, but I digress), and your average sports pro will make $1.2 million in his sports career and then have to make his living selling cars or underwear assuming he's good looking enough.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    You seriously overestimate the average talent level of people who 'Have dreams.' And yes, there are people who have been raised to believe that just getting ANY degree, even GS, is their dream.
    Oh, trust me, I have no illusions of the levels of talent among dreamers. Dreams only come true if you work your ass off to make them come true. Talent without work is worthless.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,122
    You have realistic goals, when you reach those goals then you can work on your dreams.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Senior Member DumbAss Tanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    2,686
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Incidentally, there are plenty of jobs out there for people with degrees in psychology. State governments need them for their foster care, CPS, delinquency, mental health and prison systems. As far as foster care and delinquency are concerned, there are also plenty of private agencies that are always hiring.
    True, however to actually work in that profession with a degree, as opposed to just finding work where it's relevant or regarded as an allied profession and the degree is a recruiting plus, you'd really be talking about having to get a graduate degree ($$$ Cha-CHING!).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    SEAduced SuperMod Hawkgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    4,057
    Having a dream is all fun and dandy, but it doesn't pay the bills or the mortgage. Have a dream, but live in reality.

    The excuse many losers have is that because they didn't achieve their dream, they have a right to do nothing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    Having a dream is all fun and dandy, but it doesn't pay the bills or the mortgage. Have a dream, but live in reality.

    The excuse many losers have is that because they didn't achieve their dream, they have a right to do nothing.
    This is why you achieve your goals, goals finance dreams.That is one of Herman Cains favorite sayings on his radio show.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •