Thread: US Sen. Frank Lautenberg dies at 89

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 US Sen. Frank Lautenberg dies at 89 
    Sen. Frank Lautenberg died this morning of viral pneumonia at age 89, his office said.
    The oldest member of the Senate, Lautenberg had struggled with health problems since late last year, when he missed several weeks of votes because of what he said was flu and bronchitis.
    The death of Lautenberg, a Democrat who was the longest-serving senator in New Jersey history, creates a vacancy that Governor Christie, a Republican, will fill. http://www.northjersey.com/news/nati...ies_at_xx.html

Power CUer
    I checked to see who is next oldest, and the title is now held by Dianne Feinstein. Here's a chronological table of Senators' ages. Which one is closest to you in age? I'm about three weeks older than Lindsey Graham.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...enators_by_age
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    RIP

And the gubmint should be happy as dear Mr. L was
    a huge backer of the estate tax.

I remember he once said we should all be proud to pay estate taxs.

What do you want to bet his $$$ are protected in trusts & such????
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I'm about three weeks older than Lindsey Graham.
    I wonder if he remembers the Reconstruction.
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Lautenberg's return to the senate was the result of a bit of manipulation by the NJ Supreme Court in favor of the Democrats in 2002. For those who don't remember:

2002 election [edit]

A little over a year after he left office, Lautenberg was called upon again to run for the Senate. This time it was to replace incumbent Senator Bob Torricelli, who had won nomination for a second term in the June primary elections but was facing federal corruption charges and an uphill climb for reelection against Republican nominee Doug Forrester.

Sen. Torricelli's relationship with Lautenberg had been very rocky especially when Lautenberg accused Torricelli of encouraging Republican Christine Todd Whitman to challenge him for his senate seat. (Torricelli responded by threatening to castrate him.)[9] When Torricelli dropped out, he was willing for anyone to replace him except Lautenberg, who was ultimately choosen.[10]

Almost immediately, the New Jersey Republican Party challenged the replacing of Torricelli with Lautenberg, citing that the timing was too close to the election and, per New Jersey law, the change could not be allowed. As law professor Akhil Reed Amar wrote,
    The New Jersey statute at issue says two things: First, it states that "in the event of a vacancy, howsoever caused, among candidates nominated at primaries, which vacancy shall occur not later than the 51st day before the general election, ... a candidate shall be selected" by the state party leadership. Second, it says that "a selection made pursuant to this section shall be made no later than the 48th day preceding the date of the general election."
    Torricelli announced that he was dropping out later than 51 days before the general election. His replacement, Lautenberg, was named later than 48 days before the general election.

Accordingly, Republicans argued before the New Jersey Supreme Court that both the front end and the back end timelines of the statute were violated by the Democrats' request to put Lautenberg on the ballot. The court rejected that reading, however, holding that the statute did not foreclose reprinting the ballots, as the Democrats wanted, with Lautenberg's name.[11]
    The ballot name change was unanimously upheld by the New Jersey Supreme Court,[12] who cited that the law did not provide for a situation like Torricelli's and said that leaving Torricelli on the ballot would be an unfair advantage for Forrester, and the U.S. Supreme Court declined to take up the case. Lautenberg defeated Forrester in the general election, 54% to 44%, and took office for his fourth term in January 2003

The argument that the law did not provide for a situation like Torricelli's, and that leaving the incumbent, who had won the primary, and had no intention of dropping out until he became toxic due to the exposure of his corruption, would give an unfair advantage to his opponent was specious garbage. What the court meant to say was that the law did not provide a means for the Democrats to retain a seat when their lead contender was too crooked to be reelected, even in New Jersey. Lautenberg should not have been permitted to replace Torricelli on the ballots.

RIP, senator. Hopefully Governor Christy will appoint someone who actually cares about the law.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Screw him. That's the nicest thing I can bring myself to say.

I actually met him once. He was at Centerton Country Club at some fundraiser the same night we had a 25th anniversary party for my grandparents. Ed Rendell was also at this fundraiser. At the time Rendell was Philly D.A.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

I checked to see who is next oldest, and the title is now held by Dianne Feinstein. Here's a chronological table of Senators' ages. Which one is closest to you in age? I'm about three weeks older than Lindsey Graham.

Linda, you are adorable. Really!

Never tell your real age darlin' ... I, personally am a tad older than Chris Murphy of Connecticut!

That said ... I'll bet money on Christie putting in a Democrat to take his place. Something is afoot here. I can smell it. He, Christie is far too chummy with Mr. O these days.

V-e-r-r-ry interesting! We shall see. Hope I am wrong.

~ ABC
    American By Choice ~ 1980

I have nothing nice to say about the bum, he was installed into the senate by breaking NJ election law.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Michael Bennett of Colorado is a month and a day younger than me.

RIP to Sen. Lautenberg.