Thread: Voting on Bailout Package Now....

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    It was more points than any other day but was about 7%
    Thanks. That puts it in perspective for me. I was looking at the market today and thinking back to how ecstatic people were when the market broke 10,000. I found it interesting that such calamity had apparently befallen us, and then looked at the actual number.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Thanks. That puts it in perspective for me. I was looking at the market today and thinking back to how ecstatic people were when the market broke 10,000. I found it interesting that such calamity had apparently befallen us, and then looked at the actual number.
    Hey, if the Dow goes down to 8000 or so, I might actually start buying stocks again.

Just got back from some, ahem, emergency meetings.....

Citi buying Wachovia, WaMu being bought, etc proves that we can get through a bad market. Markets have to allow companies to fail to have any credibility.

We hear the whining of less people being able to "get loans for cars and college" and I dont see how this is a problem. Banks will always lend money to people who are credit-worthy, so really we are just arguing about people without down payments and people with bad credit. Isnt loaning to them how we got here in the first place? If we bailout banks that gave loans to the wrong people to ensure they continue giving loans to the wrong people.... well, that is where we were headed with this bailout.
    **** Obama and **** you too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    This is the biggest drop in history if I'm not mistaken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    In terms of absolute points, yes; in terms of a percentage of the average, hardly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    Yea I meant absolute points.
    In other words, you meant you're a retard.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    In other words, you meant you're a retard.
    In other words - forget Blinky's once-removed parental financial analysis and concentrate on other things.

People. This was a bill initiated by a Republican president. It would seem that the Republicans should take responsibility for at least half of its passage (I know that's an oxymoron, "Republicans" and "responsibility"). I mean, after all, McCain suspended his campaign to ensure it would pass, didn't he?

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

People. This was a bill initiated by a Republican president. It would seem that the Republicans should take responsibility for at least half of its passage (I know that's an oxymoron, "Republicans" and "responsibility"). I mean, after all, McCain suspended his campaign to ensure it would pass, didn't he?
    No. He suspended his campaign to work on the bill, not "ensure it would pass".

And the Democrats have the majority in Congress, so why couldnt they get it passed? If they got every Democrat to vote yes on the bill, it would have passed.

So whats the problem?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMBA View Post
    No. He suspended his campaign to work on the bill, not "ensure it would pass".

And the Democrats have the majority in Congress, so why couldnt they get it passed? If they got every Democrat to vote yes on the bill, it would have passed.

So whats the problem?
    The problem is that a bill initiated by a Republican president and supported by Republican leadership should have the support of the Republican rank-and-file. If not, they can game the system by claiming "success" not matter what the effect of the bill.

And, if the impasse holds, the Dims may just do that. Craft a bill with everything they want in it and nothing the Rs want and pass it through the House. Then if the Rs in the Senate block it, they will appear to be even more obstructionist than they already appear to be. If they pass it, the Ds get exactly the bill they want.

The problem is that a bill initiated by a Republican president and supported by Republican leadership should have the support of the Republican rank-and-file. If not, they can game the system by claiming "success" not matter what the effect of the bill.

And, if the impasse holds, the Dims may just do that. Craft a bill with everything they want in it and nothing the Rs want and pass it through the House. Then if the Rs in the Senate block it, they will appear to be even more obstructionist than they already appear to be. If they pass it, the Ds get exactly the bill they want.
    This is a liberal bill. This bill guarantees more government with more money and more power. Bush may have asked for it, but Bush is a liberal. Any time Pelosi and Barney Frank are vehemently supporting something that Bush wants, you know it is bad news.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    From what I've been hearing our buddies in D.C. had their phones ringing off the hook since they walked into their offices. And the American people didn't want this bailout to pass.
    May the FORCE be with you!