Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Switching to what.... American?

He's a politician fer cripessake, they DON'T CHANGE

He will be switching parties. Watch for it. He will be the next Arlen Spector and lose his shirt in the process.
    Last edited by LukeEDay; 06-05-2013 at 01:19 AM.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    When Jon Corzine stepped down when he became governor, Bob Menendez was appointed to complete the term. Here is Chris Christie, Republican governor in a position to appoint the first Republican senator since I was but a pup, which is a term that is up next year, and what does he do? Decides to have the state spend $25 million for a special election to fill a seat for a year. If he would have appointed a Republican, not one person would have expected anything different but as usual, he sucks Obama's cock here making sure a Democrat gets the seat. I certainly am not voting for this lump of crap this year.

Exactly.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by LukeEDay View Post
    He will be switching parties. Watch for it. He will be the next Arlen Spector and lose his shirt in the process.

I think it's more likely that he will pull a Bloomberg and be an independent.

If the right circumstances came about in 2016, the country might be ready for an independent President. It's iffy, but a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post

If the right circumstances came about in 2016, the country might be ready for an independent President. It's iffy, but a possibility.

There is no way the Christie will EVER be elected President.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _

I don't see it quite as bleakly as everyone else does. Christie is a Republican in a very blue state, and a conservative Republican appointee would have offended the electorate (and gotten beaten in the general election), a liberal Republican appointee would have offended conservatives (who would not have voted for him, resulting in a Democratic win) and a Democratic appointee would have confirmed everybody's opinion of him as a turncoat. He had a no-win situation, and he's not stupid. But, what if Christy isn't simply a RINO, but actually does want the party to succeed? After all, we did put him in office, and while he is liberal on some things, he has gone after the Democrats' most loyal and lucrative power source, the public employee unions. Let's approach this from the assumption that Christie is not trying to sabotage the Republican Party, but actually wants to set up a possible Republican victory here. As noted above, an appointed Republican senator would have had none of the advantages of uncumbency, and all of the disadvantages, having been appointed, rather than elected, and would most likely have been beaten in the next cycle. By calling for a special election in a year when Democrats are starting to show toxic poll numbers, Christie may have set up the only possible conditions under which a Republican could win the seat outright, and then campaign with the advantages of having been popularly elected when the term is up. Maybe I'm being too Pollyannaish here, but that is a possible, and even a likely, explanation, that doesn't assume malice on Christie's part.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post

Jesus could run as a third party candidate and still come in third, probably be a spoiler for the Republicans, though. There are too many entrenched interests deeply invested in each party for anyone else to elbow his way in.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I don't see it quite as bleakly as everyone else does. Christie is a Republican in a very blue state, and a conservative Republican appointee would have offended the electorate (and gotten beaten in the general election), a liberal Republican appointee would have offended conservatives (who would not have voted for him, resulting in a Democratic win) and a Democratic appointee would have confirmed everybody's opinion of him as a turncoat. He had a no-win situation, and he's not stupid. But, what if Christy isn't simply a RINO, but actually does want the party to succeed? ....
    I agree somewhat, but my take is a little different. I think the Dems have clearly been grooming Booker for this seat, and he is a very strong candidate who would be hard for any Republican to beat. The only way to upset that train's timetable is to have an out-of-cycle election and hope that either the Dems are caught half-ready and a Republican wins (And so has the advantage of incumbency in 2014, though that didn't help Scott Brown beat Fauxahontas) or Booker isn't ready and another Dem wins, setting up a big and possibly-debilitating primary fight for the Dems in 2014. Outside of Booker being caught in some horrifying crime, like admitting that urban Black failure has a whole lot to do with urban Black culture and not that much to do with White oppression at all, I doubt it'll work and it would've been better just to go for the short-term advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    I agree somewhat, but my take is a little different. I think the Dems have clearly been grooming Booker for this seat, and he is a very strong candidate who would be hard for any Republican to beat. The only way to upset that train's timetable is to have an out-of-cycle election and hope that either the Dems are caught half-ready and a Republican wins (And so has the advantage of incumbency in 2014, though that didn't help Scott Brown beat Fauxahontas) or Booker isn't ready and another Dem wins, setting up a big and possibly-debilitating primary fight for the Dems in 2014. Outside of Booker being caught in some horrifying crime, like admitting that urban Black failure has a whole lot to do with urban Black culture and not that much to do with White oppression at all, I doubt it'll work and it would've been better just to go for the short-term advantage.
    I agree with your analysis. Booker is the strongest Democrat, and if the special election screws up his fundraising and timing, and a strong Republican can defeat him and get into office, then that means that Booker will probably not be on the ballot against him in 2014. That would leave the Democrats scrambling for another candidate, and that will mean a vicious primary. This all depends on a strong Republican running a solid campaign against Booker, and it is an uphill battle, but the potential gains are much greater than the short term advantage. Christie is playing the longshot. If he's right, and the Republicans take the seat, then he will be seen as prescient, and if not, then he at least allowed the voters to have their say. It's the best play for him, personally, and if it works out, potentially for the party.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I agree with your analysis. Booker is the strongest Democrat, and if the special election screws up his fundraising and timing, and a strong Republican can defeat him and get into office, then that means that Booker will probably not be on the ballot against him in 2014. That would leave the Democrats scrambling for another candidate, and that will mean a vicious primary. This all depends on a strong Republican running a solid campaign against Booker, and it is an uphill battle, but the potential gains are much greater than the short term advantage. Christie is playing the longshot. If he's right, and the Republicans take the seat, then he will be seen as prescient, and if not, then he at least allowed the voters to have their say. It's the best play for him, personally, and if it works out, potentially for the party.
    It's New Jersey! Not only will they not elect a republican senator but I'm betting that Christy doesn't get reelected.

You're narrowly focused on an election cycle and not on the number of votes that a conservative could cast in the senate if he were appointed for the duration of the term. Christy should have made the appointment and let the chips fall where they may with the knowledge that one more conservative would be in the senate.

But, as we all know, Christy ain't conservative.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

According to reports he's doing this to avoid a head on confrontation at the ballot box with Corey Booker.

Though the Republican governor denied that political reasoning played a role in his decision, the timing of the special election clearly benefits the first-term governor, guaranteeing him top-billing in the November election where he is likely to cruise to a second term against state Sen. Barbara Buono.

It also benefits Booker, who was already planning to run for Lautenberg’s seat next year, by keeping him off the same ballot as Christie. The two outsized Garden State lawmakers have gone to great lengths to avoid running afoul of each other over the past several years, and they share high statewide favorability ratings.

Running on the same ballot, but for different offices, would inject uncertainty into each of their political calculations this year.
    http://swampland.time.com/2013/06/04...cial-election/
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.