Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 CA To Wal-Mart: Enough! No More Taxpayer Subsidized Profits For You 
    link

TalkingDog (7,654 posts)

CA To Wal-Mart: Enough! No More Taxpayer Subsidized Profits For You (Needs to be National)
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickunga...ofits-for-you/

Legislation is now making its way through the California legislature—with the support of consumer groups, unions and, interestingly, physicians—that would levy a fine of up to $6,000 on employers like Wal-Mart for every full-time employee that ends up on the state’s Medi-Cal program—the California incarnation of Medicaid.
    I can see the law of unintended consequences from here.
    cstanleytech (5,390 posts)
    19. I think you are overlooking something rhett.

Last edited Mon Jun 3, 2013, 10:58 PM USA/ET - Edit history (1)
    That is that not everyone who works part time doesnt do it because they want to but because they cant find a full time job.
    A perfect example is my brothers girlfriend, she has been trying to find a full time job anywhere for 2+ years with zero luck and right now she is working at walmart part time not because she wants to but because its all she can find.
    No what really needs to be done is something needs to be done to incourage both higher wages and for companies like walmart to rely less on part timers and to hire more full timers.
    My personal opinion on how to do both of those things would be via taxes.
    Do away with every single loophole and set the corporate tax rate at 20% and have it climb the higher and higher depending on the % of full time vs part time workers and the same with wages, make it so the % of taxes climbs higher and higher depending on how big the gap is from the lowest paid workers vs its highest paid employees.
    They really DON'T want kids or people who want a second part time job to have jobs do they?
    tokenlib (3,506 posts)
    7. You need to get them on part time workers somehow...

..they'll just reduce more workers to part-time. Need to find a way to penalize them fo the number of employees on aid--regardless of job classification. I was happy when I first heard this..then realized it will not have the intended effect.
    And they don't want those who receive aid to have jobs to supplement their resources either do they? Anyone who seems like they might qualify for any aid will not to hired for anything-part time, full time or temporary during the holidays.
    Star Member SheilaT (12,534 posts)
    13. Good. And there should be some kind of legislation about the percentage of workers who

can be part time. While part time work is reasonable, a huge outfit like WalMart should hire far more full-time employees than part timers, and pay them decently while giving reasonable health benefits.

I work part time out of choice, but I have benefits: health, 403b (it's a hospital, a non-profit), paid leave time. As I type this I'm on vacation, lucky me. Oh, and my health care is remarkably good. I do happen to be offensively healthy, and almost never use it, but a co-worker who has various health issues is also happy with our coverage. This is the way it should be everywhere. Full time, part time, you should have benefits.
    Star Member creeksneakers2 (6,292 posts)
    36. Not fair to me

I work part time at Walmart. I work part time because I have another full time job. I couldn't work full time at Walmart too, so I'd lose my job if Walmart switched to all full time workers.

I'm happy, Walmart's happy, or at least satisfied enough that they don't fire me. I get my health care from my full time job. What business is it of anybody else what deal I set up with Walmart?
    BrotherIvan (485 posts)
    17. Yes!

So proud of my state. I know HellMart will do all they can to screw their employees if this passes, but it is a first step to say, No More. I hope the unions find some leverage on this as well.

I so missed Democrats acting like Democrats!
    newmember (662 posts)
    21. This won't help anything

My company stopped hiring full time employees.
    Everyone hired there in the last 6 months is called an on call employee

No benefits and no set schedule.
    You have two choices , take the job or be without a job

There's not a whole lot of jobs out there to chose from.

And the companies know it.
    If this law was to be passed here they would make everyone on call.
    It's not about "helping people" it's about punishing Walmart because they are more of a conservative company.
    newmember (662 posts)
    24. How about have President Obama call a press conference

and say that Walmart is not a success story but a failure for American workers.
    He could say Walmart is the largest private employer in the country but
    the way they treat their workers by having them rely on government assistance is a disgrace.

If he really wanted to make a difference in peoples lives he , Obama would take the lead on this.

Why doesn't he?

And if he doesn't why do we support him still?

Oh and ' I don't feel happy every morning when I wake up because Obama is president..............
    oldandhappy (296 posts)
    25. Yippee!!

I am glad to know this.
    Star Member L0oniX (17,563 posts)
    26. Allrightythen. Let's go nationwide with this.
    on point (1,017 posts)
    57. They need to pro rate it to hourly for part timers to take away that way of cheating too

They should be forced to pay on per hour basis for EVERY employee, full or part time into medical care at the same rate they pay for the CEO and execs to take awat the cheat of going to part time employees

Once that is done, I'll bet the full time count goes up...
    And no jobs for students, couples wanting one person to only work a part time job, etc....
    Coyotl (5,215 posts)
    70. Will this produce employer discrimination against large families, etc.
    crickets from the DUmp.

The government is not subsidizing anything that Walmart does, Walmart subsidies the government.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    The government is not subsidizing anything that Walmart does, Walmart subsidies the government.
    Walmart is the nation's largest recipient of Food Stamps and WIC.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Walmart is the nation's largest recipient of Food Stamps and WIC.
    The people that spend them are the recipients.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    The people that spend them are the recipients.
    Welfare benefits to Walmart employees is $3billion per year.

The depth of your ignorance is such that to understand your thoughts would require special equipment to prevent the crushing of ones skull do to the density.

I think that it is far better for the person and the taxpayers when people who receive welfare benefits get jobs.

It is healthier for people to work for money and eliminate the cash benefit part of welfare, if the person isn't disabled to the point that work is not practical. That way, the only assistance the person is receiving is Medicaid and Food Stamps/EBT. It saves the taxpayers a lot of money that way, and some of the people eventually get better jobs as time goes on and get off of welfare.

So, WalMart shouldn't hire anyone part-time who's already on public assistance, then...? Sounds like a genius plan for swelling the welfare rolls, Law of Unintended Consequences and all that.

Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Link?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!