1. #1 The GOP and the Millennials 
    Power CUer
    Here's the report on the GOP and the younger generation. It's a classic SWOT analysis and will make for some painful reading. I don't know if it will lead to any changes, but it had better, if the party wants to continue to exist.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/145471237/...New-Generation
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Is "the young vote going Democrat" something new? When they hit 30, they'll gain intelligence.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Is "the young vote going Democrat" something new?
    According to the linked study, yes.

One of the problems is that with this generation, even the youths who are more likely to vote republican (evangelicals, for example) are voting for the democrats.

When I was in that age group (in the 80s), most of my friends voted for Reagan-they might not have voted a straight GOP ticket, but they voted for Reagan. What about the GOP has changed since then that is turning young voters off?

Reagan signed bills that protected the environment. This appeals to people who are looking at spending another 60-70 years in this world, more than it appeals to those of us who in are the second half of our lives. My nieces are totally brainwashed by my sister, but even their peers with conservative parents want the environment protected. That doesn't necessarily mean accepting the global warming theory. It means protecting resources, like clean water and clean air, and punishing people and companies that knowingly cause pollution.

The last two GOP presidential candidates did not appeal to younger voters-John McCain because he appears older than he really is, and Mitt Romney, because of the 47% comment. Young people like to think of themselves as "deep". The 47% comment is sort of the epitome of shallow.

Today's young people, on the whole, support gay marriage and abortion rights. Even many evangelical young people. That was not the case in the 80s.

The other issue is simply racial demographics and how they relate to party affiliations. I'm in my late 40s-if I had had children at the optimal time, they'd be in the generation of young voters we are discussing. There are a whole lot of white women in my age group in a similar situation, and not all of them would have raised their children to be liberals, like I would have done. And, even if I had had 2-3 kids, at least one of them would have rebelled against my liberalism to be a conservative, that's just psychology.

But pretty much all my black coworkers in my age group have children, whether they were married at the time of conception/birth or not. Their kids pretty much grew up to be liberals.

I'm not saying any of this is scientific or the reasons why, but they are things that the GOP should consider.

What's changed? Media representation that Republicans are nothing more then a pack of racists who hate gays, mexicans, and your grandmother.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    According to the linked study, yes.
    In that case I eagerly anticipate their report titled "Blacks Overwhelmingly Vote Democrat. Who Knew?".
    Be Not Afraid.