Thread: 30-34 Hour Work Weeks Going Bye-Bye

1. #1 30-34 Hour Work Weeks Going Bye-Bye 
    Wednesday June 5th, 2013 • Posted by Craig Eyermann at 6:33am PDT •

Say what you will, governments do one thing really well: create perverse incentives!

Today’s example is provided by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (a.k.a. “Obamacare”), which sets up a really perverse incentive for the employers of part time workers: it sends the cost of having an employee work their 30th hour in a week skyrocketing. Jed Graham of Investors Business Daily shows how much in the chart below:

Graham explains:

For a worker making $16 an hour for 29 hours per week, the 30th hour of work each week could cost an employer $112.15.

In other words, ObamaCare could cost an employer as much as $96.15 extra an hour — or six times the going hourly wage in this example.

Here’s how: Employers who offer health coverage that is deemed either too pricey or too skimpy will owe $3,000 for each full-time, 30-hour-per-week, worker who taps ObamaCare subsidies.

Because the $3,000 fine is nondeductible, it’s equal to $5,000 in deductible wages for a profit-making firm facing a 40% combined federal and state tax rate.

Simply dividing that $5,000 by 52 weeks yields an ObamaCare cost of $96.15 per hour.

Graham goes on to note that the higher costs for working number of hours more than 29 but less than the 35 hours per week that marks the minimum to be considered to be a full-time worker will likely drive those kinds of part-time work weeks out of existence. Right along with the extra income that part time workers putting in those kinds of hours could have earned – which will make them double-losers.

So in its essence, Obamacare provides a powerful incentive for employers to divide Americans into a two-tiered, have and have-not workforce.

The more we learn about Obamacare, the less there is to like about it

http://www.mygovcost.org/2013/06/05/...going-bye-bye/
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Wednesday June 5th, 2013 • Posted by Craig Eyermann at 6:33am PDT •

Say what you will, governments do one thing really well: create perverse incentives!

Today’s example is provided by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (a.k.a. “Obamacare”), which sets up a really perverse incentive for the employers of part time workers: it sends the cost of having an employee work their 30th hour in a week skyrocketing. Jed Graham of Investors Business Daily shows how much in the chart below:

Graham explains:

For a worker making $16 an hour for 29 hours per week, the 30th hour of work each week could cost an employer $112.15.

In other words, ObamaCare could cost an employer as much as $96.15 extra an hour — or six times the going hourly wage in this example.

Here’s how: Employers who offer health coverage that is deemed either too pricey or too skimpy will owe $3,000 for each full-time, 30-hour-per-week, worker who taps ObamaCare subsidies.

Because the $3,000 fine is nondeductible, it’s equal to $5,000 in deductible wages for a profit-making firm facing a 40% combined federal and state tax rate.

Simply dividing that $5,000 by 52 weeks yields an ObamaCare cost of $96.15 per hour.

Graham goes on to note that the higher costs for working number of hours more than 29 but less than the 35 hours per week that marks the minimum to be considered to be a full-time worker will likely drive those kinds of part-time work weeks out of existence. Right along with the extra income that part time workers putting in those kinds of hours could have earned – which will make them double-losers.

So in its essence, Obamacare provides a powerful incentive for employers to divide Americans into a two-tiered, have and have-not workforce.

The more we learn about Obamacare, the less there is to like about it

http://www.mygovcost.org/2013/06/05/...going-bye-bye/
    Ouch.

I can't wait until open enrollment at work this October to see how bad I am going to get screwed.

We had a "special meeting" about this last week. I have a few staff relief positions that I've been working 40 hour weeks. I've been put on a notice, (along with other managers) to start cutting them down to 29 hour week. I got approved to hire two new staff relief positions, so this will be the way of the future. Hire more people and work them less hours. Obamacare, and the unintended consequence(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    ....... Obamacare, and the unintended consequence(s).
    i doubt they are unintended. It just forces them into the single payer mode that is the ultimate ends for the means. Once everyone is in the single payer bucket, they will undo the 30 hour rule.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.

I'm honestly torn on how to view this.

Quote Originally Posted by Artois View Post
    I'm honestly torn on how to view this.
    It is fairly basic for me, I don't want the government to dictate how many hours I work each week, how many gallons of water I flush my turds down with, how much salt is used on my food, what political party I belong to, how long I live, etc...................
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    It is fairly basic for me, I don't want the government to dictate how many hours I work each week, how many gallons of water I flush my turds down with, how much salt is used on my food, what political party I belong to, how long I live, etc...................
    I'm inclined to agree. Except, I'm not entirely seeing that as relevant to this action.

That is some ate-up math. It only works out to that if the employee is exactly one hour over the line each week, every week. In Earth math, the additional cost is $96.15 PER WEEK, no matter how many hours over the full-time line the employee works, so if the employee works 40 hours a week, the additional hourly premium is $9.615. and if the employee works over 40 hours that cost element drops even further (Though of course, at that point FLSA requires the payment of overtime, so the per hour rate starts to rise for other reasons).

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    That is some ate-up math. It only works out to that if the employee is exactly one hour over the line each week, every week. In Earth math, the additional cost is $96.15 PER WEEK, no matter how many hours over the full-time line the employee works, so if the employee works 40 hours a week, the additional hourly premium is $9.615. and if the employee works over 40 hours that cost element drops even further (Though of course, at that point FLSA requires the payment of overtime, so the per hour rate starts to rise for other reasons).
    Wait, you expected more reasonable or rational due diligence without a disingenuous assertion?

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Ouch.

I can't wait until open enrollment at work this October to see how bad I am going to get screwed.
    We've already been told at work. Basiclly for us, it all doubled in cost.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009