Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Conservative Christian Soldier Told Not to Read Levin or Hannity in Uniform 
    A veteran member of the U.S. Army Band said he is facing retribution and punishment from the military for having anti-Obama bumper stickers on his car, reading books written by conservative authors like Mark Levin and David Limbaugh, and serving Chick-fil-A sandwiches at his promotion party.

Master Sgt. Nathan Sommers, a 25-year Army veteran and conservative Christian based at Fort Myer in Washington, believes his outspoken opposition to gay marriage prompted higher-ups to take a closer look at his beliefs. The recipient of an Army Commendation Medal and a soloist at the funeral of former First Lady Betty Ford, Sommers said his core beliefs are enough to mark a soldier for persecution in today’s military.

“It seems like with the repeal of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell – that the Christians have been the ones who’ve had to go underground and in the closet – for fear of retaliation and reprisals,” Sommers told me.

“Christians feel like they can’t be forthright with their faith. They have to hide.”

http://townhall.com/columnists/todds...5420/page/full

“Christians feel like they can’t be forthright with their faith. They have to hide.”
    The bumper stickers were asking for trouble but his reading and sandwich choices are his business.

In some ways anti-anyone bumper stickers aren't exactly what I in my own opinion consider christian soldier defenses or offenses.
    Bumper stickers don't reason or explain themselves, they just bluntly throw a message out and do more to inflame readers who are inclined to oppose their message. I really don't want to piss off strangers while I'm going down a busy highway or leaving my vehicle unattended while I go into a store..
    As for my friends and acquaintances they all know my religious and political beliefs, I don't hide them and if you would like an opinion I have one ready for you.
    Last edited by Rockntractor; 06-08-2013 at 09:41 AM.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    The bumper stickers were asking for trouble but his reading and sandwich choices are his business.

In some ways anti-anyone bumper stickers aren't exactly what I in my own opinion consider christian soldier defenses or offenses.
    Bumper stickers don't reason or explain themselves, they just bluntly throw a message out and do more to inflame readers who are inclined to oppose their message. I really don't want to piss off strangers while I'm going down a busy highway or leaving my vehicle unattended while I go into a store..
    As for my friends and acquaintances they all know my religious and political beliefs, I don't hide them and if you would like an opinion I have one ready for you.
    If I were anti-gay the band or choir wouldn't have been my first choice of assignment; before, during, or after DADT.

As for bumper stickers- I think people are putting their car at serious risk with any kind of bumper sticker intended to offend. I would no more have an anti-Obama bumper sticker on my car than I would leave a sharp knife next to my new tires while shopping at Walmart. I do have an NRA sticker, and I would imagine that could get my car keyed in Taos or Berkeley.

If he was reading a book titled 50 ways to kill a Christian, or Allah is God, they would have given him a promotion!

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post

A bumper sticker that insults the Commander in Chief would be inappropriate and unacceptable, no matter who is in charge. It's insubordination and possible mutiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    If I were anti-gay the band or choir wouldn't have been my first choice of assignment; before, during, or after DADT.

As for bumper stickers- I think people are putting their car at serious risk with any kind of bumper sticker intended to offend. I would no more have an anti-Obama bumper sticker on my car than I would leave a sharp knife next to my new tires while shopping at Walmart. I do have an NRA sticker, and I would imagine that could get my car keyed in Taos or Berkeley.
    I had a sticker on my car that said Iraqi War Veteran, and it got keyed in the Greenwich Village. I know that it was the sticker that caused it, because whoever did it also took the key to the sticker. Gotta love those peace activists.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post

You are only in danger if your bumper sticker is conservative in nature because with few exceptions, conservatives do not go around destroying someone's property based on their political leanings. Liberals and progressives, however, are apt to do so.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeEDay View Post
    If he was reading a book titled 50 ways to kill a Christian, or Allah is God, they would have given him a promotion!
    True.

U.S. Army says, ‘Don’t ask; don’t read Sean Hannity’

(snip)

But then, Sommers, a member of the Army band, came under fire for his choice of reading material:

Sommers was reading Limbaugh’s “The Great Destroyer” backstage at a U.S. Army Band concert at the U.S. Capitol. A superior officer told him that he was causing “unit disruption” and was offending other soldiers.

“I wasn’t reading aloud,” he said. “I was just reading privately to myself. I was told they were frowning on that and they warned me that I should not be reading literature like that backstage because it was offensive.”

In another episode, he had been caught backstage reading a copy of Levin’s “Ameritopia: The Unmaking of America

Sommers said he was told to refrain from reading the book “while in uniform or within sight of anyone from the band.” .”
    According to this article the bumper sticker issue had already been resolved.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archive...an-hannity.php

It sounds like his tweets prompted some of his trouble.

Even with these reprimands from superior officers about the nature of his political leanings, Sommers was eventually promoted to Master Sgt. At about the same time Chik-fil-A was making its national appearance in a controversy over its leader’s opinions about the morality of gay marriage. Sommers, being an ardent supporter of traditional marriage, decided to cater his promotion party with Chik-fil-A, a decision he announced via his twitter account.

The Chik-fil-A/twitter incident led to a confrontation with yet another superior officer, who happened to be gay, who told the Master Sgt. that some of his fellow officers were offended by his tweets. Sommers was then officially reprimanded and an investigation into his actions was begun.

The investigation uncovered other tweets in defense of “Don’t ask, Don’t tell”, including one which contained a pejorative word for homosexual. After the investigation was concluded, Sommers was told that some homosexual soldiers were scared of him, and that he should apologize for his statements/actions.

http://lastresistance.com/2272/soldi...ative-beliefs/

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    It sounds like his tweets prompted some of his trouble.
    Oh Mercy! Getting ready to take my lumps for this one, but to heck with it, will anyway!

Rob ... I have to agree with you. They sure didn't help his situation.

In my opinion, "tweeting" is and has always been strictly and literally, for the birds.

"Let's all sing like the birdies sing ... tweet, tweet, tweet, tweet, tweet."
    Many foolish, non-thinking, rapidly typing TWITS have and will continue, to regret the words they hastily put out for all to see when using their ( Ahem! Cough! Cough!)

... Twitter accounts!

Not that I consider this soldier to be a twit, his choice of reading material alone, validates that. I just wish he hadn't expressed himself in quite such a manner on such a public venue.
    American By Choice ~ 1980

http://twitchy.com/2013/06/08/sarah-...-soldier-pics/

Sarah Palin comments:

Whether you agree or disagree with this soldier’s opinions, I think we can all agree that the apparent retribution he faced for proudly reading certain authors is outrageous.

I’d love to see more of America’s finest, our men and women in uniform, along with everybody else proudly and boldly reading more writings from patriots who pinpoint who is trying to kill our Constitution. Americans obviously need to know why it’s imperative we don’t roll over and succumb to these attempts to fundamentally transform America into a populace of sheep merely grazing, and then atrophying, under tyranny. This IS a battle between liberty and tyranny, as the title of Mark Levin’s book declares. The authors and commentators mentioned in the article linked below will help more of our loved ones understand this by articulately explaining what the radical Left’s leadership is doing to our country.

Yes, if more citizens would hear and read Rush, The Great One, et al., the empowerment of the average person would provide the energy and encouragement to take a stand and proclaim, “No more!” It’s time. Troops – especially you – have fought for the freedoms enshrined in our Constitution. Your brothers and sisters have died in this battle to defend liberty. Please know that a grateful nation won't let your sacrifices be in vain. We have your back.

I’d love to see pictures of our troops reading any of these apparently “banned” pro-America books. Don’t show your face or name in the photo, perhaps just your liberty-loving hands around a liberty-loving book or hands on a radio dial tuning in to hear the aforementioned conservative leaders speak truth. What is the use in fighting and dying for freedom in far away countries if they take away freedom at home? Post a pic.

- Sarah Palin

Here is the article I'm referencing:

http://townhall.com/columnists/todds...5420/page/full