Thread: My Daughter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Here's the worst part...that melody will never, EVER get out of your mind.

Ever.
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other.
    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.

~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    I am thinking this is the reasoning behind their comments. We are raising her in an "old skool" way (other than hitting). I see some of my friend's kids and I just cringe as they have absolutely NO MANNERS. My daughter says "thank you, no thank you, please" etc. At home, she is really just a normal kid in my eyes. She is an only child so maybe she just has to learn better at interacting with other kids. Maybe what they perceive as shyness is just her being respectful.
    The only child factor could also be part of it. I was an only child, and I was a lot more comfortable around adults than other kids, because I spent most of my time with adults. It's not a bad thing, it just is what it is.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    The only child factor could also be part of it. I was an only child, and I was a lot more comfortable around adults than other kids, because I spent most of my time with adults. It's not a bad thing, it just is what it is.
    I plan on getting her friends involved a lot, like vacations together, sleep overs (at my house..lol) She also has a little cousin who will most likely also be an only child and they are together a lot, so he can be her surrogate brother.

She has an active imagination so she is in her own little world when she plays with her play kitchen, doll-house, dolls, etc...and continues to utilize her imagination when she is at school rather than interact right away. This is why I started her in pre-school a year ago. Now, it's summer camp- so she is always around kids her own age and I was hoping that would not make her miss out on having a sibling. I know it's not the same thing, but best I can do.

Today she was very happy when I picked her up, in fact she ran from me when I showed up at the playground. She also napped with the other kids and her teacher told me she loved the pet snake they had in the classroom today.

Hawk ...

Can't stay, will get back after dinner with more detail.

Taking other's children with you on vacation requires more than you think, but is easy to do re getting permission for medical treatment for each child in case of an emergency ... as long as you don't travel outside the US. If doing that, becomes more involved.

~ ABC
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Quote Originally Posted by ReinMan View Post
    Here's the worst part...that melody will never, EVER get out of your mind.

Ever.

Nope. I probably saw that episode for the first time when I was 4, and hundreds of times in syndication. I knew that song long before I read Hamlet or saw Carmen.

Hawk ... finally getting back to you.

Don't have much to add other than years ago when we took son's friends with us, we always got the parents to write and sign a letter giving us permission to admit them to hospital in case needed.

A letter also containing all pertinent info re allergies, blood type, etc. Even back then "Admissions" was very particular. Heaven only knows what they will want from you these days. More than likely all the hospital and medical insurance coverage carried by the child's parents.

Since you work in a hospital, should be easy for you to find out.

As I said before, taking a minor out of the country, takes a lot more planning. The government forms are available online these days, but will require time to get in order.

Have fun. It will be worth it!

~ ABC
    American By Choice ~ 1980

I actually did take a kid with me a year ago. Her mother gave me her insurance name and number. It would have been used only in an emergency, and luckily wasn't needed. OF course, we didn't go far, we stayed in Florida. I would probably not go further than local outings or Orlando which is only a couple of hours drive from me. I wouldn't feel comfortable going out of state without the other parent present, never mind going out of the country. At least that is how I feel now.

One of the good things about living in Florida, there really is no need to leave the state for the kids to have fun, between all the water parks and amusement parks in Orlando, everything is accessible by car.

As for what hospitals need, I don't really know. I would think in the event of an emergency, the concern is to treat.