Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Vandals knock over monument for Michelle Obama ancestor 
    “When I saw it, I shed a few tears,” Vicki Smith told Channel 2’s Linda Stouffer.

Smith helped get the monument to Rex. It’s a tribute to Melvinia Shields, the great-great-great grandmother of Obama. Shields was born into slavery in 1844 and later moved to Georgia.

Clayton County Commissioner Sonna Singleton said the monument company will have to lift the heavy stone to check for cracks after someone pushed it off the foundation block.
    Read More>http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local...ancesto/nYG72/

the monument company will have to lift the heavy stone to check for cracks after someone pushed it off the foundation block.
    It will be hard to set back up, apparently it weighs at least as much as the first lady.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Looks like it jumped off and was hobbling away!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    It’s a tribute to Melvinia Shields, the great-great-great grandmother of (Michelle) Obama.
    They don't really set the bar that high in Rex, Georgia do they.
    Be Not Afraid.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    It's sort of a peculiar thing to do. Checking on the internet, Melvina (Mattie) Shields was actually her married name, her husband being Dolphus Shields. I wonder why they didn't put him on the monument as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    It's sort of a peculiar thing to do. Checking on the internet, Melvina (Mattie) Shields was actually her married name, her husband being Dolphus Shields. I wonder why they didn't put him on the monument as well.

I'll bet there's a good story behind that omission.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Apparently idiots, unmitigated incompetence as well as evil has its admirers. From peanut farmers to Stalin, its amazing what some people will trumpet as the "gold" standard. Look at the Nobel peace Prize committee or who the UN puts in charge of the "Human Rights" council for more glaring examples.

"Perversity" - thats whats celebrated now.
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

And in other news, a Civil War memorial was defaced in Bridgeton, NJ and nary a national peep was made about it. http://12thnjvolunteerscok.org/Bridg...andalized.html

This monument has been restored but it pains me that a statue of a former slave is defaced and it's national news and yet a statue representing 65 brave men who died in order to free the woman represented in the former statue is defaced and no one outside of the city cares.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    And in other news, a Civil War memorial was defaced in Bridgeton, NJ and nary a national peep was made about it. http://12thnjvolunteerscok.org/Bridg...andalized.html

This monument has been restored but it pains me that a statue of a former slave is defaced and it's national news and yet a statue representing 65 brave men who died in order to free the woman represented in the former statue is defaced and no one outside of the city cares.

Every morning, I pass two probable war memorials-both unused flag poles, with some type of inscription on the base. One is in an abandoned park, and one is in front of a new apartment complex, and pretty much ignored. I haven't stopped to read the inscriptions, but I'm pretty sure that they are memorials to soldiers from various wars.

I also drive by Pershing High School, named for the WWI general from Detroit. Their nickname remains The Doughboys, which is pretty cool. And, the kids at that school are probably the only ones in the city district who know anything about WWI, because that remains a strong tradition, even at a school that has occasional murders in their parking lot.

I barely mustered enough giving a shit about this story to post this :D
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    I'll bet whoever did it had no clue that the monument was erected for one of Moochelle's ancestors.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender