1. #1 Because President Obama is NOT evil; that is why many of us trust and defend him... 
    link

Star Member Liberal_Stalwart71 (14,083 posts)

Because President Obama is NOT evil; that is why many of us trust and defend him...

Last edited Tue Jun 11, 2013, 07:58 AM USA/ET - Edit history (1)
    A recurring question on DU from the president's detractors goes something like this:

Why is it that when Bush spied on Americans, we were all up in arms, but when Obama does it, it's o.k.?

I think I can offer a simple answer:

Because I truly believe that the president is NOT an evil man. I believe that if something is going on with the NSA, there are no nefarious reasons for it.

Bush/Cheney, on the other hand, ARE evil. They did things to the American people FOR nefarious reasons. They lied us into an unnecessary war; they did everything they could to punish those who dare spoke out against them.

I do not see that with this president. And though I do not think Barack Obama is perfect--FAR FROM IT--I do not believe that he is the boogey man. He is NOT Bush.

---------------

PRISM Program: Obama Administration Held 22 Briefings For Congress On Key FISA Law
    Sam Stein
    Updated: 06/10/2013 7:19 pm EDT

WASHINGTON -- Obama administration officials held 22 separate briefings or meetings for members of Congress on the law that has been used to justify the National Security Agency's controversial email monitoring program, according to data provided by a senior administration official......

blah blah blah........
    In other words, Democrat=good, Republican=evil.

Liberals calling Republican presidents evil=good, conservatives criticizing Obama's policies and actions=hateful and racist.
    Star Member Liberal_Stalwart71 (14,083 posts)
    62. I would argue that it is not the Obama supporters who make it all about Obama the man.

Just the opposite. Rather than pointing the finger squarely at Congress, any time there's some outrage, the detractors immediately blame Obama. You should look at all the threads that attack the man directly, his character, suggesting that he's evil like Bush. That's why I began this thread...to make the larger point.

I said it in my post and I'll say it again--I neither defend EVERYTHING Obama does, nor do I think he's perfect. I do, however, believe that he is essentially a good man (like President Carter was) who makes bad decisions from time to time, but also does GOOD things more often than not.

I think it's just the opposite when I come here on DU and other liberal blogs: it is THEY who make it all about Obama, especially expecting him to do things that he has no constitutional authority to do. They act as if he is a one-man government who controls everything through Executive Orders. That's not the way it works. Even with Executive Orders, they are useless without congressional action (through the budget). For example: complaining about Obama not closing Gitmo when he has attempted to do just that for years. Rather than blaming Republicans for obstructing and how they tried to scare Americans into believe that criminals would be released to American prisions (remember that?), they wrongly blamed Obama. Even now, they claim that Gitmo could be closed with an Executive Order, but the question remains: where would the prisioners go? Which local government in the U.S. would take them? In addition, they claim that Obama could stop sending prisioners there. Well, that's exactly what he has done while being shouted down by Medea Benjamin. As he was explaining that he has indeed placed a moratorum on sending prisioners/the accused to Gitmo, he was being rudely interrupted by Medea. On Friday night, Bill Maher allowed the claim that Obama continues to send prisioners to Gitmo go unchallenged. It is because Maher didn't know the facts. And there have been many instances where Obama's detractors--on BOTH sides of the ideological spectrum--simply cannot wait for the facts to come out before they start damning Obama the Man to hell. They make it all about him, just as the Teabaggers do. There are a lot of similarities between Obama detractors on the political left and those on the right---it is THEY who make it about Obama the Man. Not Congress. Not the Courts. Not the Republicans. Not the cowardly Democrats in the Senate. It's all about Obama himself...as if it is HE alone who controls government.

So you see: I would like to hear these detractors, just once, blame the obstructionists FIRST. I would like for them to wait for facts before knee-jerk reactions targeted squarely at Obama.
    Facts on Obama and his scandals=lying from Obama admin and articles written by those who worship Obama and will write anything to cover his butt to give liberals cover to say....see it's a manufactured scandal, as they ignore the truth and disseminate the lies.
    Fumesucker (31,947 posts)
    2. Then you will have no basis to complain about methods when evil again resides in the White House
    burnodo (375 posts)
    3. this is your reasoned response?

That Obama's not as bad as Bush because he is not evil? ugh ugh ugh
    A mole, or someone not sufficiently indoctrinated at DU?
    Star Member DCBob (14,880 posts)
    53. Yes, that is how I feel.. plus the fact that what President Obama is doing is actually legal

Bushie/Cheney couldnt care less about laws and rights and regulations.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    The DUmmies are some of the most naive people on this planet.

A lot of them are just stupid.

And a lot of them just hate the Right and will forgive their side anything.
    May the FORCE be with you!

And we wonder how people like Hitler and Stalin stayed in power.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    The DUmmies are some of the most naive people on this planet.

A lot of them are just stupid.

And a lot of them just hate the Right and will forgive their side anything.
    It's all circular logic. They choose to believe that Obama is basically good, so that even when he is caught doing things that they consider evil, they assume that there is a good reason for it, because they believe that he is good. This is the same mindset that allows liberals to act like utter monsters and get away with it. Remember how the feminists lined up behind Bill Clinton when he was accused of sexual harassment, rape and assorted other crimes against women? Or how feminists demanded the expulsion of Bob Packwood from the Senate, but not Teddy Kennedy? Notice that OWS, which loathes concentrations of wealth, had nothing to say about the various Democratic financial scandals, including the various tax evaders salted throughout the party. The antiwar movement disappeared when Obama took office, even though he has pretty much abandoned all of his campaign promises regarding GITMO and the Patriot Act, and even now, the Democratic Party continues to pretend that there's nothing wrong with Obama's expansion of surveillance programs and targeting of journalists. Clinton and Kennedy were champions of reproductive choice (and the fact that abortion makes the lives of sexual predators like Clinton and Kennedy much easier never gets mentioned), so the feminists cut them slack. Tim Geithner, Tom Daschle, Charlie Rangel and Claire McCaskill all support higher taxes, so it didn't matter that they failed to pay them, because deep down, they are just so gosh-darned good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan D. Doty View Post
    Well, in their case, massive police states helped. But Obama's working on it.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Gesundheit!
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan D. Doty View Post
    ^ This.