by Dan Ackerman
April 22, 2013 3:47 PM PDT
Prologue: How long can I survive with only a cloud-based Chrome OS laptop?

Anyone needing proof that the post-PC era is real need only consult the recent sales figures: traditional PC sales are down 14 percent year over year, even as sales of tablets and smartphones -- mostly using Apple's iOS and Google's Android -- become more ubiquitous.

But even as Android adoption continues to flourish, Google has another horse in the race: Chrome OS. Chrome's mission statement is simple: With everything moving to "the cloud," why have a heavy, expensive Windows or Mac operating system acting as a middleman? Why not just have the browser be the OS? And that's precisely the reason it shares a name with Google's increasingly popular Web browser.

It's a clever enough idea, and one that plays to Google's strength: search, Gmail, Google Docs, Maps, Picasa, and nearly all of the company's other products don't require traditional software -- just a browser and a live Web connection. Still, when we last looked at it in the fall of 2012, we found Chrome OS to be promising, but ultimately not up to the level of a full-time OS. In other words, it was generally fine for a "second computer," but not quite ready to run your one and only go-to PC for every task.
Read More>https://www.google.com/search?q=goog...firefox-aurora

I bought the Samsung version of one of these for my step dad from Amazon for 200.00 in an open box special. He is very happy with it, he's not tech savvy but this is one of the most basic easy to use computers I have ever used, this is especially suited for elderly or anyone for that matter that doesn't put heavy software demands on a computer.
The keyboard is extremely smooth,one of the best I have used, touch pad is equally good although I'm a ball mouse person.
It weighs nothing, is very thin and has a 6.5 hr battery life.

Absolutely zero heat output because it has no hard drive and uses all solid state memory.
I may have to get one to play with.