1. #1 Doctors dump health insurance plans, charge patients less 
    WICHITA, Kan., June 14 (UPI) --
    A Kansas physician says he makes the same income and offers better quality care to his patients after he dumped all health insurance companies.

Thirty-two-year old family physician Doug Nunamaker of Wichita, Kan., said after five years of dealing with the red tape of health insurance companies and the high overhead for the staff he hired just to deal with paperwork, he switched to a system of charging his patients a monthly fee plus the price of an office visit or test, CNN/Money reported.

For example, under Nunamaker's membership plan -- also known as "concierge" medicine or "direct primary care" practices -- each patient pays a flat monthly fee to have unlimited access to the doctors and any medical service they can provide in the practice, such as stitches or an EKG.

For adults up to age 44, Nunamaker charges $50 a month, pediatric services are $10 a month, and for adults age 44 and older it costs $100 a month. Although Nunamaker calls the practice "cash-only," he accepts credit and debit cards for the fees and services.

Nunamaker and his partner negotiated deals for services outside the office. A cholesterol test costs the patient for $3, versus the $90 or more billed to insurance companies; an MRI can cost $400, compared with $2,000 or more billed to insurance companies.
    Read More>http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire...14-232724-6523

I don't think this will be allowed when Obamacare is fully implemented, you will have to sign up for an IRS sanctioned plan or pay the fine, you would be paying for this and the IRS. I pay cash and I have been told this is what will happen to me.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    For example, under Nunamaker's membership plan -- also known as "concierge" medicine or "direct primary care" practices -- each patient pays a flat monthly fee to have unlimited access to the doctors and any medical service they can provide in the practice, such as stitches or an EKG.
    According to you, Ody, and NJCF this means that members will jam Nunamaker's office out of boredom or every time they have a pimple or a hangnail. Soon, he will have to hire another doctor (fortunately obgyn's have been fleeing the profession according to you, so he won't have trouble finding an employee) to help handle the load and the model will tank.

The truth is that there have been "cash doctors" and "credit dentists" at least as long as I have been an adult. The difference is perhaps that 30 years ago, "nice people" didn't go to those kinds of doctors.

It's my understanding even with a qualified ACA plan that covers the preventive services for all, the deductibles can still end up being for catastrophic coverage for medical care.

In other words, a single guy could be paying $800 a month for insurance and have a $9000 deductible.

In the article comments this is addressed:

Consumer Operated and Oriented Plans (CO-OPs)

The Affordable Care Act creates a new type of non-profit health insurer, called a Consumer Operated and Oriented Plan (CO-OP). These insurers are run by their customers. CO-OPs are meant to offer consumer-friendly, affordable health insurance options to individuals and small businesses.

The federal government is offering loans to non-profit organizations to help establish CO-OPs

http://www.healthcare.gov/law/featur...-op/index.html

Someone also mentions:

You've missed the point. If it's managed from the bottom up instead of the top down, it doesn't have to "work" on a large scale. If it works for the doctor and his/her patients, it works.

That said, Obamacare compliance is a problem. Thank God, on a couple of the 2000 pages of Obamacare, some godsend of a legislator stuck in a clause allowing those members of medical co-op ministries (mostly Christian) an exemption from mandatory insurance coverage. These ministries have names like Medishare and Good Samaritan. Each month, members send their monthly contribution directly to another member, at the direction of the co-op's administration, to pay a submitted medical bill.

It works quite well, and at a substantially lower cost Than health insurance.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    It's my understanding even with a qualified ACA plan that covers the preventive services for all, the deductibles can still end up being for catastrophic coverage for medical care.

In other words, a single guy could be paying $800 a month for insurance and have a $9000 deductible.

In the article comments this is addressed:

Consumer Operated and Oriented Plans (CO-OPs)

http://www.healthcare.gov/law/featur...-op/index.html

Someone also mentions:
    Again, we're already paying $9K/year/patient for healthcare in this country. We're just not getting what we're paying for.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Again, we're already paying $9K/year/patient for healthcare in this country. We're just not getting what we're paying for.

I'm not paying 9k a year and I have very good coverage with a low deductible.

Next year that could change.