Thread: In my opinion, the Sandy Hook Massacre carried a higher emotional toll than 911

1. #1 In my opinion, the Sandy Hook Massacre carried a higher emotional toll than 911 
    Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    fried eggs (400 posts)

In my opinion, the Sandy Hook Massacre carried a higher emotional toll than 911

I'm not referring to the victim count or the number of family and friends directly affected by 911. I'm talking about the millions of Americans who cried for days and weeks following Sandy Hook. Many are still crying six months later. I don't recall seeing that same visceral reaction after 911. The sentiment following the 911 attacks, if I recall correctly, was fear, anger, shock, disbelief.

So why is it that our lawmakers were swift in concocting legislation related to 911, but weren't able to come together to make sure our nation never has to face another incident like what happened at Sandy Hook elementary again?
    Well, I have sympathy for victims and families of both. *But there is no comparison. *Two completely different incidents.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

I'm talking about the millions of Americans who cried for days and weeks following Sandy Hook. Many are still crying six months later.
    Other than immediate family, who?

Feelings as facts. This is why liberals will always be the lying losers that they are.
    Be Not Afraid.

So why is it that our lawmakers were swift in concocting legislation related to 911, but weren't able to come together to make sure our nation never has to face another incident like what happened at Sandy Hook elementary again?

2 things: #1, nothing was "concocted" But 9/11 happened because of a breakdown in intelligence communication thanks to your golden boy Slick Willy and those barriers needed to be brought down hence the legislation. #2, Sandy Hook was indeed a tragedy, however, our right to keep and bear arms is spelled out in the Constitution and what happened there was not the fault of the gun, only the nut shooting it.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Both were emotionally, and completely different. I actually did cry for both, 9/11 because of the shock, the loss of life, the evil of the jihadists personified. Sandy Hook also got to me, as a mother of a young kid, I couldn't help but be affected by the senseless act of a solo psycho on innocent children. Someone who murders children so ruthlessly sent chills up my spine and my heart ached for days after that tragedy.

But I don't see a point in comparing them.

Fabulous Poster
    911 made me angry and vengeful. 911 was the result of not protecting the country. Sandy Hook was not due to policy blunders and really didn't cause a tremendous response with me. 911 was an act of terrorism, whereas Sandy Hook was the unfortunate and unavoidable consequence of liberty.

Other than both being tragedies that cost lives, I really don't see the point in comparing the events. Pain and suffering is pain and suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Other than both being tragedies that cost lives, I really don't see the point in comparing the events. Pain and suffering is pain and suffering.
    Going to have to agree with you, noonwitch. Both were awful, let's learn and move on.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

The difference between Sandyhook and 9/11 is that the former was committed by a crazy ass guy who was one in 100 million in his depraved evil while the latter was commited by a group of crazy ass guys who are just a handful of 100 million other crazy ass guys who would do exactly the same thing in a heartbeat if given the opportunity because their religion calls upon them to do so.

A very big difference in my opinion.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." ~ Albert Einstein

Politically tired.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Other than immediate family, who?

Feelings as facts. This is why liberals will always be the lying losers that they are.
    To this day, I can't read articles on Sandy Hook, the victims, the families, or anything without crying. I think it's because they were children, and this guy murdered them right before Christmas.

Now, if I sit down and watch old 911 scenes, I'll cry after a while because it will bring back feelings from that day. However, I can read articles about the families and so forth, and be okay. For some reason, I can't even bring myself to read an article about the victims or watching news related to it without breaking down.