Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 For Lanie: Christian university expels lesbian student, demands scholarship repayment 
    Power CUer
    Christian university expels lesbian student, demands scholarship repayment

A Christian university that expelled a lesbian student for dating another woman wants her to repay the $6,000 scholarship she received to attend classes there.

Danielle Powell didn’t know she was a lesbian when she first enrolled at Grace University — a private, Christian university in Nebraska. Nevertheless, she began a relationship with another woman in the fall of 2011, after several years at the university.

Eventually, one of Powell’s advisers found out about the relationship and notified university authorities, who convened a hearing. Powell was outed to friends and family for the first time, according to The Huffington Post.

Eventually, the university suspended Powell indefinitely, and instructed her to undergo a restoration process involving counseling and therapy before she could re-enroll.

Powell began the restoration process, but the university declined to re-admit her, since she was still dating a woman. After Iowa legalized gay marriage, Powell married her girlfriend, Michelle Rogers.

Same-sex relationships violate school policy, according to the university’s student handbook.

“Any student involved in sexually immoral behavior, including premarital sex, adultery, and homosexual acts, is at minimum placed on University probation and may be subject to a Judiciary Hearing,” says the handbook for the university.

Chastity is not the only restriction that Grace places on its students. The handbook instructs each student to ask himself whether a given activity will “provide an opportunity for Satan to get a stronghold in an area of my life” before choosing to engage in the activity.

To this end, dancing, gambling and drinking are explicitly forbidden on and off campus. The viewing of R-rated movies and certain television channels — including HBO, Comedy Central, VH1, MTV, E! Entertainment Television and Black Entertainment Television — is also prohibited.

Powell would like her credits transferred to another school, but Grace is withholding her transcript until she repays a $6,300 tuition scholarship, she alleged.

Broke and unable to resume her studies at another college unless Grace releases the transcript, Powell and her wife have started a petition on Change.org that simply asks the university to forgive the debt. So far, over 28,000 people have signed the petition.

Michael James, vice president of Grace University, denied that the university was withholding Powell’s transcript until she pays.

“We were clearly willing to provide transcripts and help the student transfer to another university,” he said in a statement to World Magazine.

He also explained that asking her to repay the scholarship was an automatic step, since the federal government takes back the money if the student doesn’t finish at least 60 percent of the semester.

But Powell claims the university has so far only been willing to provide a student copy of her transcript, which is useless for transferal.

In an interview with the World-Herald, Powell said she attended Grace because of the scholarship, and because she could play volleyball there. Though she was a Christian at the time, Powell was not prepared for the strict biblical culture, she said.

Grace is a nondenominational Christian university.

James pointed out that Powell did sign an agreement to abide by Grace’s rules, which include no same-sex dating.

Several lesbians have been engaged in high-profile battles with school authorities in recent weeks. A lesbian schoolteacher recently won a lawsuit against a Catholic school that fired her for undergoing artificial insemination. And the case of Kate Hunt — the 18-year-old high school student who was expelled and arrested for having a sexual relationship with an underage female student — has garnered national media attention.

I don't know why the deviants are trying to sue Christian schools for breaking their contracts, I thought they weren't trying to shove their lifestyle down the throat of religion. \
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

I think the school has the right to kick her out. I don't think she should have to repay scholarship money, however.

I have never understood why anyone would want to go to a school that tells you who you can date, what websites you can visit and what movies you can watch. Obviously, there are people who do want to go to a college like that.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I think the school has the right to kick her out. I don't think she should have to repay scholarship money, however.

I have never understood why anyone would want to go to a school that tells you who you can date, what websites you can visit and what movies you can watch. Obviously, there are people who do want to go to a college like that.
    Why doesn't she have to pay it back? She violated the rules and got booted so she should pay it back

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Why doesn't she have to pay it back? She violated the rules and got booted so she should pay it back
    According to the Huffpo article, the debt is the result of federal requirements:

James said anyone who withdraws before the semester is 60 percent complete will usually owe a balance, because federal law obligates Grace to return Title IV funds -- federal grants, loans and work-study funds -- on behalf of the withdrawn student. "Suspension or expulsion constitutes withdrawal," James said in an email.

Sounds to me like they could have petitioned the federal government to forgive the debt, rather than the school. Generally, schools allow a student to set up a payment plan so that they don't have to do it in one lump sum, and they'll free up transcripts as long as the payments are being met, so that a student can transfer. Also, the article cited the petition to forgive the debt, which had garnered 17,000 signatures. The total debt is $6,300. If each signatory to the petition had given 50 cents, they'd have been able to pay off the debt and have cash to spare. Also, another article states that the Huffpo piece may not have been entirely honest about the transcripts:

The Huffington Post reported that the school refused transcripts until she paid, but James denies those allegations: “The letter that they referred to in [the article] clearly stated that we were clearly willing to provide transcripts and help the student transfer to another university.”
    http://www.worldmag.com/2013/06/grac...esbian_student
    My take on this is that she signed a contract, and that she failed to keep her end of it. In doing so, she incurred obligations and debts. If she'd been sleeping with a man instead of a woman, the school's rules against premarital sex would have still been in effect and she would have had the same problems, so unless someone can show selective enforcement, it's not a discrimination issue. It also looks as if, by publicly proposing in a video that went viral, Powell was seeking a public confrontation with the school. If so, then her claims of having been a naive Christian when she arrived at the school may not be entirely accurate. It wouldn't be the first time that someone applied to a school or organization in order to raise their own personal issues, with no intention of conforming to the rules. Think Shannon Faulkner and VMI.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    According to the Huffpo article, the debt is the result of federal requirements:

James said anyone who withdraws before the semester is 60 percent complete will usually owe a balance, because federal law obligates Grace to return Title IV funds -- federal grants, loans and work-study funds -- on behalf of the withdrawn student. "Suspension or expulsion constitutes withdrawal," James said in an email.

Sounds to me like they could have petitioned the federal government to forgive the debt, rather than the school. Generally, schools allow a student to set up a payment plan so that they don't have to do it in one lump sum, and they'll free up transcripts as long as the payments are being met, so that a student can transfer. Also, the article cited the petition to forgive the debt, which had garnered 17,000 signatures. The total debt is $6,300. If each signatory to the petition had given 50 cents, they'd have been able to pay off the debt and have cash to spare. Also, another article states that the Huffpo piece may not have been entirely honest about the transcripts:

The Huffington Post reported that the school refused transcripts until she paid, but James denies those allegations: “The letter that they referred to in [the article] clearly stated that we were clearly willing to provide transcripts and help the student transfer to another university.”
    http://www.worldmag.com/2013/06/grac...esbian_student
    My take on this is that she signed a contract, and that she failed to keep her end of it. In doing so, she incurred obligations and debts. If she'd been sleeping with a man instead of a woman, the school's rules against premarital sex would have still been in effect and she would have had the same problems, so unless someone can show selective enforcement, it's not a discrimination issue. It also looks as if, by publicly proposing in a video that went viral, Powell was seeking a public confrontation with the school. If so, then her claims of having been a naive Christian when she arrived at the school may not be entirely accurate. It wouldn't be the first time that someone applied to a school or organization in order to raise their own personal issues, with no intention of conforming to the rules. Think Shannon Faulkner and VMI.

This is just another battle to change decent schools that are against this kind of lifestyle. they never stop...

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    She says she didn't know she was a lesbian when she first started attending school. Do you think anybody would purposely attend a socially conservative Christian school if they knew they were a lesbian?

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    She says she didn't know she was a lesbian when she first started attending school. Do you think anybody would purposely attend a socially conservative Christian school if they knew they were a lesbian?
    yeah sure she didn't know and if you believe that I have a bridge to sell you

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Yes.

Just like a female purposely applying to an all male military school knowing she be turned down.

Or a pro choice pro birth control feminist applying at a Catholic university k.owing they didn't supply BC to students.

This was done on purpose as well.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

The school has to pay the money back:

He also explained that asking her to repay the scholarship was an automatic step, since the federal government takes back the money if the student doesn’t finish at least 60 percent of the semester.
    She signed a contract and she should pay the money back. Just like any other contract. There are laws.