Thread: For Lanie: Christian university expels lesbian student, demands scholarship repayment

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 87
  1. #61  
    Senior Member txradioguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bavaria
    Posts
    7,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Generation Why? View Post
    I didn't say Constitutional rights, I said legal rights. They're not demanding you accept it either. Ayn Rand is a great example of someone opposed to homosexuality. She, an atheist, abhorred homosexuals. Yet at the same time she agreed that they should not be treated any different. You don't have to like them, accept them, tolerate them, or talk to them. Just let them live. If you weren't so adamant in denying them these basic liberties that you and I have this wouldn't be a problem in the first place.
    No you said rights period. Don't move the goal posts now that you've put yourself into a corner kid.


    If gays aren't demanding acceptance why the push for "equal rights" when they aren't being denied any rights rigjt now? Why the fanatical push for gay marriage? The attempt to propel the myth that homosexuality is normal? Why the need for the constant media blitz about homosexuality if the gay lobby isn't trying to force acceptance of their life style on people who don't view it as normal?

    Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

    Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

    To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

    The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #62  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Generation Why? View Post
    I didn't say Constitutional rights, I said legal rights.
    Then you are clearly not following the gay marriage debate. What the HRC and other gay marriage groups are asking is that the Supreme Court recognize their constitutional right to marry. I discussed this at great length elsewhere. The gist of the argument is that marriage is not a legal partnership sanctioned by the state (like a business partnership) but a civil right that resides in the person. And it's not just the right to the privileges of marriage (like tax breaks, next of kin status, etc.) because even when a state allows civil unions with all of these privileges, the gay lobby claims their civil rights are being violated because that union is not being called marriage. So, in essence, the Supreme Court is being asked to recognize that gays have a "civil right" to have their civil unions called "marriage". They're fighting for a label under the guise of civil rights arguments.

    They're not demanding you accept it either.
    Where, again, have you been? Under a rock? The gay lobby sure as hell is demanding it. And leaders like Dan Savage go on the attack against religious people and other unbelievers in gay marriage to make damned sure that onlookers know just how unacceptable it is to him to have traditional values. There is no question that the gay marriage lobby wants everyone to accept them: this is why they're fighting over semantics--for the use of the term "marriage", even when they have civil unions granting them the same privileges as married couples.


    Ayn Rand is a great example of someone opposed to homosexuality. She, an atheist, abhorred homosexuals. Yet at the same time she agreed that they should not be treated any different. You don't have to like them, accept them, tolerate them, or talk to them. Just let them live. If you weren't so adamant in denying them these basic liberties that you and I have this wouldn't be a problem in the first place.
    Ayn Rand was not very loving or accepting of anyone. In fact, both The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged contain diatribes against anyone who isn't following Rand's specific philosophy of "virtuous selfishness" (an oxymoron if there ever was one.) Atlas Shrugged is particular fun, having been written when Rand was on diet pills (pure speed (amphetamine) in the 1950s when she wrote the book). Basically you have a legal speed freak (via her dieting) ranting and raving for hundreds of pages about all the people she hates. Fun stuff.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #63  
    Senior Member Generation Why?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Thurston County, WA
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    No you said rights period. Don't move the goal posts now that you've put yourself into a corner kid.


    If gays aren't demanding acceptance why the push for "equal rights" when they aren't being denied any rights rigjt now? Why the fanatical push for gay marriage? The attempt to propel the myth that homosexuality is normal? Why the need for the constant media blitz about homosexuality if the gay lobby isn't trying to force acceptance of their life style on people who don't view it as normal?

    Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Generation Why? View Post
    Facts are facts whether or not you choose to believe them.




    Did I say you were racist for being disguested by gay people?




    They're not asking for acceptance. They are asking for the same legal rights we as heterosexuals have. They have a nation wide campaign because the majority is trying to supress their rights.

    You were saying?

    1. I am not in a corner.
    2. I am not your God-damned kid.
    3. I had no opinion on homosexuals or gay marriage until they asked to be treated with the same rights as heterosexuals. When the Republicans banded together and said "Fuck this group in particular because they are different", that is when I took issue with it. We are all Americans. Chances are we are not going to agree with everything someone does or believes. That doesn't matter. It is an issue because you said no simply out of not liking the way someone is. That is the problem. Who cares if it is a choice or not? It's not hurting anyone. Remember, so long as you contiue to treat them or attempt to treat them as sub-humans, they will continue to fight back.
    “A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.” – Ayn Rand

    Power Point Ranger
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #64  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,117
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    No you said rights period. Don't move the goal posts now that you've put yourself into a corner kid.
    But Tx, the kid is wrong. The gay marriage movement IS fighting for Constitutional rights. Their entire argument is that since they are being denied marriage (or the "term" marriage in states where they have civil unions with the same privileges of marriage) that they are not being granted "equal protection under the law." This is a 14th amendment argument. So yes, they are asking for Constitutional rights.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #65  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Generation Why? View Post
    You were saying?

    3. I had no opinion on homosexuals or gay marriage until they asked to be treated with the same rights as heterosexuals.

    What rights are you talking about here?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #66  
    Senior Member Generation Why?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Thurston County, WA
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Then you are clearly not following the gay marriage debate. What the HRC and other gay marriage groups are asking is that the Supreme Court recognize their constitutional right to marry. I discussed this at great length elsewhere. The gist of the argument is that marriage is not a legal partnership sanctioned by the state (like a business partnership) but a civil right that resides in the person. And it's not just the right to the privileges of marriage (like tax breaks, next of kin status, etc.) because even when a state allows civil unions with all of these privileges, the gay lobby claims their civil rights are being violated because that union is not being called marriage. So, in essence, the Supreme Court is being asked to recognize that gays have a "civil right" to have their civil unions called "marriage". They're fighting for a label under the guise of civil rights arguments.
    I would like to get rid of taxes and therefore tax incentives. I would also like to get the government out of marriage. That would solve just about damn near the whole problem. That is not the case, therefore I state my case with the laws as written. In accordance with anti-discrimination laws, the government can't deny a service because of orientation. The government conducts marriages. Therefore, the government cannot tell two consenting adults of the same sex that they cannot get married.


    Ayn Rand was not very loving or accepting of anyone. In fact, both The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged contain diatribes against anyone who isn't following Rand's specific philosophy of "virtuous selfishness" (an oxymoron if there ever was one.) Atlas Shrugged is particular fun, having been written when Rand was on diet pills (pure speed (amphetamine) in the 1950s when she wrote the book). Basically you have a legal speed freak (via her dieting) ranting and raving for hundreds of pages about all the people she hates. Fun stuff.
    What was the point of this paragraph? To let me know she was an awful shrew? Because I already knew that. Still love her work.
    “A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.” – Ayn Rand

    Power Point Ranger
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #67  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Generation Why? View Post
    I would like to get rid of taxes and therefore tax incentives. I would also like to get the government out of marriage. That would solve just about damn near the whole problem. That is not the case, therefore I state my case with the laws as written. In accordance with anti-discrimination laws, the government can't deny a service because of orientation. The government conducts marriages. Therefore, the government cannot tell two consenting adults of the same sex that they cannot get married.
    Your personal feelings on the issue are very nice, but they don't add anything at all to your argument.




    What was the point of this paragraph? To let me know she was an awful shrew? Because I already knew that. Still love her work.
    No, to let you know that she was not an accepting person in general. Your depiction of her was radically off from the person she was.

    You know she did a bunch of interviews on the old Phil Donahue show in the 70s and 80s. Last time I looked, they were posted on youtube. You might watch them to get an idea of how she really felt, even in public and even on television. And if you like conspiracy theory, you might look up one Donahue in which an audience member takes her to task on Atlas Shrugged, calling it a blueprint for the Illuminati takeover the world. (That's my favorite, just because it's such fun.)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #68  
    Senior Member Generation Why?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Thurston County, WA
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    But Tx, the kid is wrong. The gay marriage movement IS fighting for Constitutional rights. Their entire argument is that since they are being denied marriage (or the "term" marriage in states where they have civil unions with the same privileges of marriage) that they are not being granted "equal protection under the law." This is a 14th amendment argument. So yes, they are asking for Constitutional rights.
    It can be supported by the Constitution, although there is a stronger case with anti-discrimination laws.
    “A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.” – Ayn Rand

    Power Point Ranger
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #69  
    Senior Member txradioguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bavaria
    Posts
    7,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Generation Why? View Post
    It can be supported by the Constitution, although there is a stronger case with anti-discrimination laws.
    Where? Show us? What part of the Constitution or the Bill of Rights is discriminating against gays?

    Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

    Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

    To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

    The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #70  
    Senior Member Generation Why?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Thurston County, WA
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Your personal feelings on the issue are very nice, but they don't add anything at all to your argument.
    Agreed, I just wanted to let it be known what I think should be the ultimate way of going about handling marriage. Sort of a disclaimer if you will.


    No, to let you know that she was not an accepting person in general. Your depiction of her was radically off from the person she was.

    You know she did a bunch of interviews on the old Phil Donahue show in the 70s and 80s. Last time I looked, they were posted on youtube. You might watch them to get an idea of how she really felt, even in public and even on television. And if you like conspiracy theory, you might look up one Donahue in which an audience member takes her to task on Atlas Shrugged, calling it a blueprint for the Illuminati takeover the world. (That's my favorite, just because it's such fun.)
    I know she wasn't accepting. She also disagreed with the concept of laws being passed against them. Like I said, I know she was an angry, hateful woman. And I am not one for conspiracy theories.
    “A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.” – Ayn Rand

    Power Point Ranger
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •