1. #1 The left connects guns and God as both being unfit for school 
    Two stories make the point.

Atheist group, angry mom go ballistic over prayer at pretend preschool commencement

The Madison, Wisconsin-based Freedom from Religion Foundation has sent a two-page letter to a school district in southeast Texas complaining about a preschool graduation ceremony begun with an unconstitutional prayer.

The controversial supplication occurred on May 31 in a classroom at Amelia Elementary School in Beaumont, reports local ABC affiliate KBMT. A preschool student led the brief prayer, which ended with the words “In Jesus’ name, Amen.” The student seems to have been following the instruction of a preschool teacher.

Amber Barnhill, a self-identified Christian and one of the parents in attendance at the graduation, spoke with the teacher responsible for the prayer. This conversation must have gone poorly. Barnhill told the ABC affiliate that she was especially offended by the teacher’s response.

“She said it was legal, that it was freedom of speech,” Barnhill told the station. “She said it wasn’t her religion; it was her way of life. And she continually said that she could not allow herself to apologize.”

The teacher with whom Barnhill spoke would only speak anonymously with KBMT but she tells of a pretty different exchange.

“The little girl said something like, ‘Thank you God for this day. Bless us all. In Jesus’ name, Amen,” the unnamed teacher explained. “I didn’t intend to impose. I just tried to mock a graduation. I did apologize to the lady who was the only one that I found that was offended.”

Whatever the case, Barnhill contacted the Freedom from Religion Foundation, which now describes the fleeting prayer at the preschool commencement as “a serious violation of the First Amendment.”

“I expect acknowledgement and accountability,” she demanded.

She said she also expects that no one in Beaumont will ever again invoke religion at a public school’s pretend graduation for preschoolers.

The Beaumont Independent School District will respond to the letter of complaint after it conducts a meticulous investigation of the preschool graduation ceremony, according to a spokeswoman.

Suspension over gun-shaped toaster pastry is now permanent mark on kid’s record

This week brought more bad news for Joshua Welch, the Baltimore-area second-grader who was suspended for two days because his teacher thought he shaped a breakfast pastry into something resembling a gun.

School officials have denied an appeal to have the suspension expunged from the boy’s permanent record, reports The Baltimore Sun.

Robin Ficker, the attorney representing Welch and his family, said he will now take the matter to the Anne Arundel County school board. Under local regulations, he has 30 days to do so.

“If this school can’t educate a seven-year-old without putting him out of school, how are they going to deal with 17-year-olds?” Ficker said, according to The Sun.

Welch, who is now eight, was suspended from Park Elementary School for two days in March after he allegedly sculpted the pastry into something that maybe looked like a gun.

At the time, Welch told Baltimore FOX affiliate WBFF that his goal was to turn the prefabricated delicacy into a mountain, but that didn’t really materialize.

“It was already a rectangle. I just kept on biting it and biting it and tore off the top of it and kind of looked like a gun,” he said.

“But it wasn’t,” the boy astutely added.

In May, Ficker met with school officials in a failed attempt to have the suspension removed from Welch’s record.

On Monday, Ficker received a letter officially denying the request. The letter came from an unnamed school district official acting as an agent of Superintendent Kevin Maxwell.

The district’s reasoning is unclear. Bob Mosier, a spokesman for Anne Arundel County schools, had no comment for The Sun.

While it seems like Joshua Welch’s spring has been pretty awful, there has been a glimmer of good news. Two months after Welch was suspended, the National Rifle Association granted him a free lifetime membership (which is worth around $550). (RELATED: Boy suspended for ‘Pop-Tart Pistol’ receives NRA lifetime membership)

Also, Sen. J. B. Jennings, a Republican who represents Baltimore Harford Counties, introduced “The Reasonable School Discipline Act of 2013.” The bill, which apparently went nowhere, was designed to curb the zeal of public school officials who are tempted to suspend students for having things — or eating things — that represent guns, but aren’t actually anything like real guns. (RELATED: ‘Toaster Pastry Gun Freedom Act” proposed in Maryland)

And one more that will curl your hair.....from yet ANOTHER school in Texas

Silent on burqas, atheist group pressures Texas school district over kindergarten graduation prayer

The Freedom from Religion Foundation sent a letter to school officials in Lumberton, Texas expressing concern about a prayer that may have occurred recently at a kindergarten graduation.

The June 3 letter declares that the principal of the Lumberton Early Childhood School committed a “serious violation” of the First Amendment, reports The Beaumont Enterprise. The alleged constitutional transgression occurred when the principal led a prayer in front of a group of young children and their parents prior to a kindergarten graduation ceremony.

The letter explained that an unidentified parent contacted the Freedom From Religion Foundation.

The letter, from the Madison, Wisconsin-based outfit, was addressed to Superintendent John Valastro. An attorney for the Lumberton Independent School District, Curtis Soileau, told The Enterprise that the district has not yet replied to the missive. He added that district officials want to abide by the Constitution and other relevant law.

Soileau did not respond to The Daily Caller’s request for comment.

The alleged prayer at a kindergarten graduation ceremony is not the first time this year that the the small town of Lumberton, Texas has come under fire for allowing religion to seep into a public-school atmosphere.

As TheDC reported in February, a teacher at Lumberton High School allegedly encouraged high school girls to dress up in full-length Islamic burqas and instructed the entire class that Muslim terrorists are actually freedom fighters. (RELATED: Texas public school students don burqas)

The incident occurred in a world geography class. The general topic of the class that day was Islam. A student in the class told World Net Daily that the burqa-related lesson treated the enveloping outer-face-and-body covering more or less as a fashion accessory.

The controversial lesson came from a lesson plan provided by CSCOPE, the online K-12 educational curriculum that Texas recently agreed to cease production of. (RELATED: Adios CSCO’: Texas abolishes CSCOPE lesson plans in public schools)

The Freedom From Religion Foundation does not appear to have written an angry letter to the Lumberton Independent School District concerning the February burqa incident.

The FFRF is no stranger to hassling public schools in Texas, however. Just this month, the organization complained to school district officials in nearby Beaumont about a brief Christian prayer at a May 31 preschool graduation ceremony. (RELATED: Atheist group, angry mom go ballistic over prayer at pretend preschool commencement)

I think if children want to pray openly in school they should be going to a private parochial school.

I did apologize to the lady who was the only one that I found that was offended.
    Wait, wait. One of the board liberals just told us in another thread that one person complaining doesn't mean shit.

Tell this lady to shut the F up and mind her own business. That's the liberal lesson I learned.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Wait, wait. One of the board liberals just told us in another thread that one person complaining doesn't mean shit.

Tell this lady to shut the F up and mind her own business. That's the liberal lesson I learned.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    I think if children want to pray openly in school they should be going to a private parochial school.

I agree, but when a kid spontaneously makes some kind of statement that is of a religious nature, the school doesn't have to react so strongly.

Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I agree, but when a kid spontaneously makes some kind of statement that is of a religious nature, the school doesn't have to react so strongly.
    The school shouldn't have reacted at all. The first amendment applies to all, not just the super sensitive, politically correct snivelers.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    The First Amendment not only forbids the creation of an establishment of religion, but any attempt to infringe the free exercise of religion. The atheists' demands that the school district react in response to a private expression of faith is a violation of the free exercise clause.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    The First Amendment not only forbids the creation of an establishment of religion, but any attempt to infringe the free exercise of religion. The atheists' demands that the school district react in response to a private expression of faith is a violation of the free exercise clause.

That's how I thought it was supposed to work.

My school district was very tolerant of religion, although mostly of an evangelical Christian nature. The Gideons came to our elementary school and distributed New Testaments (our parents had to sign a permission slip). Young Life put signs up in the hallways each week to inform us whose basement they were meeting in that week. The YL counselors were allowed to come in at lunch time to visit with us (any clergy was allowed to do so, but YL is going to go wherever they are allowed to go to reach kids), and we had a pre-graduation religious ceremony for the graduates, which had a preacher
    from the community with a definitely Christian message.

I don't know about the Sunday service, but I do know YL has been banned from EKHS' campus. I don't know exactly why, and I have asked a few people who also don't know why.