Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Originally Posted by Cold Warrior
    But the only valid moral reason to have sex is to propogate, isn't it?
    No, but that is the most important reason and the natural conclusion of a sexual encounter. I'm amazed that people engage in a cheapened act of passion and then are surprised when a pregnancy occurs. They act like they never considered it to be a possibility. The sex may be recreational but the consequences are real and people should live with consequences of their behavior.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

It is less of a cause for concern if you accept responsibility for your actions and have family support in the care of the unborn.

I have a friend from highschool who "snuck one past the goalie." While both sets of parents were mortified, they married while in highschool. He is now a MD/PhD, tenured professor in clinical oncology at the University of Michigan, while his wife is a sty at home mom. With family support, it can work.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    The whole topic of this thread is just wrong. I would never have had a baby outside of marriage but it doesn't change the fact that I still ended up raising a kid alone. I think he's just fine.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    The whole topic of this thread is just wrong. I would never have had a baby outside of marriage but it doesn't change the fact that I still ended up raising a kid alone. I think he's just fine.
    Being a single mother against your choice is quite different than these women who will sleep with anyone and end up with kids by everyone.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    No, but that is the most important reason and the natural conclusion of a sexual encounter...
    That is where you and I will always disagree, my friend. :D

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Big Brothers and Sisters. You can volunteer, get a little brother and take him to do guy stuff. Odds are, the kid has no father in his life. They are desperate for male volunteers, they can never find enough. Take him to church, if it's okay with his mom.
    I am for any organization, religious or otherwise, that helps children of any kind. I have spent years working with many difrferent kinds of young people with varying problems.

I have worked in churches in youth programs a long time. Thing is, I no longer attend any church, but I know the good these organizations can and often do accomplish. I also know the harm these religious organizations can and often do accomplish.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    To start, we need to stop minimizing the role religion can play. Secondly, we need to re-introduce the stigma that was once associated with unwed pregnancy - it plays an important role in discouraging this. Sounds harsh but it did help curb the problem. Stopping abortion would help also.

I don't think I was minimizing the role of religion. I just think that other organizations can play a role as well.

The thing is, don't you think the stigmatization of unwed pregnancy can increase the incidence of abortions? If you stigmatize it, an unwed mother may be more inclined to get rid of the pregnancy.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!