Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    How do you explain the fact that single parent families were much rarer 50 years ago when sex felt just as good and their was no sexual education in schools?
    Because when a boy knocked a girl up it was more common that he was forced to marry her.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Because when a boy knocked a girl up it was more common that he was forced to marry her.
    Maybe that wasn't such a bad idea. If the guy worth spreading your legs for he should be worth marrying. If he isn't then I question the standards being used to make the choice to have sex.

Besides the report in question is aimed at children having an advantage over children from single parent homes. I don't think that it addressed the causes of the creation of these two parent homes.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    Sex feels good, people want to do it. They're probably going to have sex whether you want them to or not, and its naive to just pretend there's no such thing as contraceptives.
    and it is cynical and pathetic to think that people cannot control their baser and more animalistic instincts. Sure sex feels good - but it feels better when done under the right circumstances.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Power CUer
    If the guy [is] worth spreading your legs for he should be worth marrying. If he isn't then I question the standards being used to make the choice to have sex.
    Then you're free to use different standards. Maybe you were a virgin when you married, but there is a difference between "Mr. Right" and "Mr. Right Now." :p

I do agree that children from two parent homes have an advantage. Does that mean married people with children should not be allowed to divorce?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Maybe that wasn't such a bad idea. If the guy worth spreading your legs for he should be worth marrying. If he isn't then I question the standards being used to make the choice to have sex.
    Well said. I firmly believe that if you are unwilling to accept the prize - you should not be playing the game.

Then you're free to use different standards. Maybe you were a virgin when you married, but there is a difference between "Mr. Right" and "Mr. Right Now." :p

I do agree that children from two parent homes have an advantage. Does that mean married people with children should not be allowed to divorce?
    I would imagine that know how I stand on divorce. I believe it is wrong but I also am realistic enough to know that it is necessary. As for my standards, I was not a virgin when I got married but I know that children might occur from my actions and I was willing to marry the women I made time with. Still, I stand my by original statement that if someone is willing to share the most intimate act that can be shared between two humans then they should be willing to marry them if the need should arise. Why is sex the only act that people don't want to accept the potential consequences of? It's not like the consequences are not known before hand.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

No fault divorce is a mistake.

Mr. Right Now is just a fancy way of saying - I'm easy and willing to spread my legs for just about anyone.

Power CUer
    "I believe it is wrong but I also am realistic enough to know that it is necessary. As for my standards, I was not a virgin when I got married but I know that children might occur from my actions and I was willing to marry the women I made time with."

" Mr. Right Now is just a fancy way of saying - I'm easy and willing to spread my legs for just about anyone."

Why am I not surprised to see the difference in these statements? Double standards are better than none. :p

"I believe it is wrong but I also am realistic enough to know that it is necessary. As for my standards, I was not a virgin when I got married but I know that children might occur from my actions and I was willing to marry the women I made time with."

" Mr. Right Now is just a fancy way of saying - I'm easy and willing to spread my legs for just about anyone."

Why am I not surprised to see the difference in these statements? Double standards are better than none. :p
    Who's comments are you comparing mine to? I've never said other than that people should wait. If people fail - it's a mistake but not one that is unforgivable. That's not having a double standard - that's having mercy and compassion.

Power CUer
    Sorry, you're right, they were not both yours. Your remarks were directly above and below, and I misaligned the avatar with the comments.