Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    There is no longer any stigma attached to having a baby when you're unwed. When I was in school, a girl "went to visit Aunt Kathy". Now she has baby showers.

While I think two parent homes are usually best, my daughter recently wrote a paper titled "Why my parents' divorce improved my life".

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Sorry, you're right, they were not both yours. Your remarks were directly above and below, and I misaligned the avatar with the comments.
    sokay. It happens. I'll even accept your unexpressed apology for the mistake. ;) ANYHOW - While I am being very blunt - I'm not without understanding or compassion. Kids do stupid things. It's one of the main reasons why they need parents in their lives - to help monitor and mitigate such mistakes.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    sokay. It happens. I'll even accept your unexpressed apology for the mistake. ;)
    I started with the word "Sorry".
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I started with the word "Sorry".
    lol see now I'm doing it. For some reason that word did not register in my mind when I read that. Apologies.

Power CUer
    Hey, for me, that's a HUGE apology. ;)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    The less the role of faith becomes in people's lives the more we see single parent families, abortion, crime, drug abuse, spousal abuse, child abuse, selfishness and poor decision making. Trace the statistics since WWII and as real devoted faith declines, societal ills increase.
    Some food for thought:

http://atheism.about.com/b/2008/03/0...is-highest.htm

A study published in the Lancet shows that between 1995 and 2003, the global rate of induced abortions fell from 35 per 1,000 women each year to 29. This period coincides with the rise of the "globalised secular culture" the Pope laments. When the figures are broken down, it becomes clear that, apart from the former Soviet Union, abortion is highest in conservative and religious societies. In largely secular western Europe, the average rate is 12 abortions per 1,000 women. In the more religious southern European countries, the average rate is 18. In the US, where church attendance is still higher, there are 23 abortions for every 1,000 women, the highest level in the rich world. In central and South America, where the Catholic church holds greatest sway, the rates are 25 and 33 respectively. In the very conservative societies of east Africa, it's 39. One abnormal outlier is the UK: our rate is six points higher than that of our western European neighbours.
    Here's some more info, regarding the positive correlation between religion and social ills (although this article uses some seemingly overly strong verbage).

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...icle571206.ece

The paper, published in the Journal of Religion and Society, a US academic journal, reports: “Many Americans agree that their churchgoing nation is an exceptional, God-blessed, shining city on the hill that stands as an impressive example for an increasingly sceptical world.

“In general, higher rates of belief in and worship of a creator correlate with higher rates of homicide, juvenile and early adult mortality, STD infection rates, teen pregnancy and abortion in the prosperous democracies.

Some others mentioned bringing back or hoping to reinforce stigmas to prevent divorce... but I wonder if the consequences of this have been thought through? I think many who have tried can attest to the fact that getting married simply for the child is often times the worst thing you can do, for yourselves, your household, and your child. If one thing is certain, far off consequences do little to dissuade people from the risky sexual behavior. Proper sex education and a culture of contraception will do more to end out of wedlock births than anything else will.

If marrying someone you have a child with is a bad idea - how much worse of an idea is it to got to bed with that self same person?

Power CUer
    Again, it goes back to equating the two, which many people do not. For me, it was part of the audition process. ;)

Linda - sex makes pregnancy. If a person has a congnative disconnect and ignores that fact - we need to remind them.

Power CUer
    Thanks to modern science, it doesn't have to. Some people slip up, but many more do not.