Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Time to tax the churches! 
    link

Star Member BanTheGOP (1,041 posts)

Time to tax the churches!

With the recent bitchslapping that has been delivered to the rethugs regarding DOMA, we can leverage the win with real reform. Because of the decision, we now have the ability to justify taxing churches if they refuse to honor and celebrate DOMA as part of their congregational duties. We should be encouraging individuals whom are not traditional male/female to register to marry in churches who have been against DOMA, and if they refuse, we can actually provide the proof that churches should NOT be exempt from taxation. This would be worth billions of dollars to our general fund.
    What has it been? less than 4 hours? This has always been about forcing churches and believers to celebrate what they consider immoral, and destroying family values.
    Star Member Arugula Latte (40,591 posts)
    1. Yep. That is LONG overdue.
    10. Not completely the point.

I understand the actual marriage as honored by the state is dependent upon the certificate. But the point of the post is to force churches to perform ceremonies, or risk losing their tax-exempt status. The key is that churches can no longer be used as Holy Sanctioned money-laundering operations for repugnant republicans anymore, and we now have the major legal argument to take away the gravy train.
    Star Member cbayer (120,610 posts)
    15. So what do you make of the large groups of progressive/liberal religious people and organizations?

Being an enlightened progressive has nothing to do with religion in many cases.
    16. Progressives don't use religion to politicize. Rethugs do.
    Star Member cbayer (120,610 posts)
    17. Really? Tell that to this guy:

NAACPs William Barber emerges as leader of Moral Monday protests

http://www.religionnews.com/2013/06/...nday-protests/
    Star Member BanTheGOP (1,042 posts)
    19. NAACP is not a religion. Duh.

His church can be taxed if it's not predominantly involved with NCAAP activities, but most progressives I know do not mind this.

BanTheGOP (1,041 posts)

16. Progressives don't use religion to politicize. Rethugs do.
    Dafuq? You'll never see a politician standing at the pulpit at any time during a Catholic Mass to "get out the vote". Or have a Voting Registration at the back of the Church after Mass. Think about where that happens DUmmy. I can provide examples if you wish.

They want personal choice when it comes to a man using the women's restroom but when it comes to whether or not a Church will marry five chicks, oh no, can't let that happen. Oy.
    Be Not Afraid.

Tax what? My church is lucky to break even every year.

They mean 2 things generally: They want contributions to the church NOT to be tax deductible, and they want the church to pay property taxes.

In other words the taxation part of this is all about punishing churches and greed; they consider it THEIR money.

Separation of Church and State....!!!!!

I know, I know> It doesn't exist.... but! They seem to be moving the goal posts ... AGAIN!
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

With the recent bitchslapping that has been delivered to the rethugs regarding DOMA,
    Revisionist history, again. Um, hey stupid, the act passed congress 342-67...there were only 228 Republicans in congress and it passed the senate 85-14, there were 53 Republican senators so do the math. Oh, and Slick Willie signed it into law and last I looked Clinton was the golden boy of the left.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Umm... no.
    Last edited by Generation Why?; 06-26-2013 at 07:28 PM.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsean View Post
    Generally, sane people who want to tax churches limit their demand to property taxes. It's understandable, after all government is "picking a winner" in a manner of speaking when it exempts some pastimes from taxes (institutional exemptions) but not others (nightclubs).

The problem of course is that a great variety of clubs get institutional exemptions and some of these would argue that without the exemption they will lose their property. Well, that's true of a lot of individuals as well. Clearly the better solution is to tax sales (with no exemptions) and not tax property. Property tax means that you never really own your home, you are renting it from the government.

It doesn't matter what they try to do. They will never be able to force a church to marry same sex couples. Then since they are all fake Christians, they wouldn't know anything about that...

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeEDay View Post
    They will never be able to force a church to marry same sex couples. .
    I've never known that to be an objective. Perhaps some members of some churches would like to force their own church to come around, but that is a big difference between a universal objective. I have no idea why there are gay Catholics or Baptists, or Mormons but there are.