Thread: Beef Tongue!

1. #1 Beef Tongue! 
    I ain't afraid of nothing!! I will admit it had me cringing a bit especially looking at it, touching it and peeling that thick taste bud skin off!
    It is as tasty and tender as every one told me it was. Most say they have had it in tacos but I went with a sauce and rice. I looked at alot of recipes and when I got the gist of it I just went ahead and did it my way!

Rock, I bet with your pressure smoker this would be killer. It had the texture of a tender pot roast and the flavor of a prime rib, melt in your mouth.

First wash your tongue with cold water. I cut up some carrots, celery, garlic, and onions, added some dried hot chiles. used 4 cups beef stock as the liquid and added bay leaves and S&P.

Just for a better lookie!

Put your tongue in a stock pot and cover with liquid adding all the other stuff and simmer for 3 hours, by that time you should be able to pierce it with a fork easily. Take it out and let cool for 1/2 hour. This will make peeling the thick skin easy.

Start peelin by making a slit with a sharp knife from the tip down and just grab and peel, wasn't too hard.

All peeled

Put the peeled tongue back in the stock pot for 30 minutes, take out and slice. You can shred it for tacos if you want of have it cold on a sandwich with some horseradish mayo, or however you want.

I made a sauce with onion, shallot, Garlic, 1/2 cup of the braising liquid, tomato paste, diced tomatos, thyme, 1/2 cup red wine and S&P

Made the rice with the braising stock instead of water.
    Make the sauce and put the tongue slices in the pan and simmer for 30 minutes then serveit up!

Back in the pan

And for JB- In the plate!!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post

Rock, I bet with your pressure smoker this would be killer. It had the texture of a tender pot roast and the flavor of a prime rib, melt in your mouth.

I have cured and smoked many a beef tongue I started making them when I left home because back before the Mexican invasion they were very cheap and solid meat.
    I cure them for three weeks in the refrigerator in a container with Morton Tenderquick and then cold smoke them, I used to then slice them very thin and fry or grind with sausage.
    You can get tender quick at the Walmarts
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

My mom used to make beef tongue all the time. She used to say it tasted like ham. Can't remember how she made it, but it actually tasted pretty good. Can't say that about some of her other cooking, was really bland, bless her heart. She also made ox tail stew, that was pretty good. Mom never learned the art of using spices or herbs.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS

I will pass.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

I'd give it a try.
    May the FORCE be with you!

You can make cowamari with their bungholes than you have used both ends.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

I've seen tongue at the store. There is no way I'm eating anything that looks like that in the package.