Thread: DOMA Goes Down

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    You've been explained this many times by myself Ody and others.

That you have either forgotten or just don't get it is on you.

And if you followed "Classical Liberalism" you wouldn't be confused on what todays Conservatives are against this.
    Well then:

1. Religion is not a valid defense in America when it comes to federal law.
    2. We shouldn't legislate morality in the first place.
    “A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.”Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    I can get into the Religious aspect of it and how God won't bless a country that embraces sin
    An evangelical point of view - which many of us are not. That's why we don't base the laws in this country on any one religion.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Generation Why? View Post
    Well then:

1. Religion is not a valid defense in America when it comes to federal law.
    2. We shouldn't legislate morality in the first place.
    Yep. What he said.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Yep. What he said.
    Then why does the govt do that for hate speech? I guess some morality is ok to legislate, right?
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Generation Why? View Post
    I am tired of hearing that talking point without an explanation, so please, provide one. And how does this affect your marriage? Should I call my finace after breakfast and tell her the wedding has been canceled?

And as always, I am not a Liberal. (I do, however, follow classic liberalism. Not the same thing.)
    Here...read this and learn something. From an article Ody posted awhile back.

The legal redefinition of marriage means the loss of freedom to express and to act according to beliefs at odds with the gay agenda; more ominously, it will grant to the state an enormous and unprecedented power for remaking society according to its own designs. Marriage properly understood is an essential prerequisite for stable, healthy families. Societies throughout history and across the world have learned this from experience, and modern sociological research, despite the barrage of propaganda to the contrary, bears it out.

While marriage opponents will no doubt point to individual A or person B as an exception, we know that, on average, children raised in traditional monogamous marriages with both father and mother do better in school, are less likely to be criminals or drug-addicted, have fewer mental and emotional problems, are less likely to commit suicide, and on and on. families are, along with organized religion, the most important "mediating institutions" between the individual and the state. Mediating institutions are groups of people large and small that help serve as a check on the government, and provide individuals with a way of influencing the state much more effectively than they can do on their own.

These independent sources of authority are essential to the preservation of liberty: without them the behemoth of the state would easily crush the lone citizen. That's why totalitarians of every stripe make the subjugation or even destruction of these institutions (especially the family and organized religion) a top priority. Giving the state the power to manipulate, redefine and hence to unmake such essential protectors of freedom must necessarily lead to an ever more powerful state, and an ever smaller place for individual liberty.
    Does that make it just a little more clear to you why this is a sad day for this country and the liberties and freedoms we were founded on?

Or are you really that obtuse?
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Power CUer
    Then why does the govt do that for hate speech? I guess some morality is ok to legislate, right?
    I have a problem with "thought management" as represented by "hate speech". Don't assume I'm always on the side of the nanny state, I'm not.

Scalia tore the majority a new asshole in his dissent.

In a ripping dissent, Scalia says that Justice Anthony Kennedy and his colleagues in the majority have resorted to calling opponents of gay marriage "enemies of the human race."

But to defend traditional marriage is not to condemn, demean, or humiliate those who would prefer other arrangements, any more than to defend the Constitution of the United States is to con- demn, demean, or humiliate other constitutions. To hurl such accusations so casually demeans this institution. In the majority's judgment, any resistance to its holding is beyond the pale of reasoned disagreement. To question its high-handed invalidation of a presumptively valid statute is to act (the majority is sure) with the purpose to "dis- parage," "injure," "degrade," "demean," and "humiliate" our fellow human beings, our fellow citizens, who are homo- sexual. All that, simply for supporting an Act that did no more than codify an aspect of marriage that had been unquestioned in our society for most of its existence— indeed, had been unquestioned in virtually all societies for virtually all of human history. It is one thing for a society to elect change; it is another for a court of law to impose change by adjudging those who oppose it hostes humani generis, enemies of the human race.

Scalia says that the court's holding – while limited to the Defense of Marriage Act – is a sure sign that the majority is willing to declare gay marriage a constitutional right.

It takes real cheek for today's majority to assure us, as it is going out the door, that a constitutional requirement to give formal recognition to same-sex marriage is not at issue here—when what has preceded that assurance is a lecture on how superior the majority's moral judgment in favor of same-sex marriage is to the Congress's hateful moral judgment against it. I promise you this: The only thing that will "confine" the Court's holding is its sense of what it can get away with.
    http://news.yahoo.com/scalia-high-ha...101636785.html

Count me as one of those "enemies of the people" I guess.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Non-Aggression Principle.
    “A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.”Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

Fabulous Poster
    I know morals to liberals are passe but a country bowing to gay marriage wittels away at the very backbone of our moral center.
    Illegal immigration
    Welfare
    heterosexuals having children they can't afford
    Bankers and politicians stealing everything which isn't nailed down, and some what is.
    Islamic infiltration of Europe, the Americas, and Australia

That should hold you for several years. You won't even notice gay marriages.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Here...read this and learn something. From an article Ody posted awhile back.

Does that make it just a little more clear to you why this is a sad day for this country and the liberties and freedoms we were founded on?

Or are you really that obtuse?
    I must be.

Power Point Ranger