Thread: DOMA Goes Down

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Question: Had Prop 8 been defeated, would the proponents have been able to throw a hissy fit and challenge to vote?
    Yes and I would feel the same way had it gone that way. I'm sick and fucking tired of the losing side in California elections taking it to the courts when their side loses. The people's vote really means nothing because of this.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

I came to the conclusion that if they are going to legalize it, then so be it. I am sick of arguing with the brain dead retards. They still won't be able to make the church marry same sex couples. Another thing they have to look at also is that same sex marriage may be recognized by the state, but it is not recognized by the federal government. So good luck to the retards when they try to get their gay lovers benefits after they pass on.

And another thing: SAME SEX MARRIAGE IS NOT A CIVIL RIGHTS ISSUE!!!!!!!

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....
    _ WELFARE IS NOT AN ENTITLEMENT! _

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Next up...I predict the Military will officially recognize gay marriage ...
    The marriage memo has already gone out.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    Yes and I would feel the same way had it gone that way. I'm sick and fucking tired of the losing side in California elections taking it to the courts when their side loses. The people's vote really means nothing because of this.
    Any time civil rights are put to a popular vote, it's not reasonable to expect the injured party to accept defeat.

Gay marriage is not a civil rights issue .. Gah!

Quote Originally Posted by LukeEDay View Post
    Gay marriage is not a civil rights issue .. Gah!
    That's because marriage, straight, gay or other, is not a right enumerated in either the Constitution nor the Bill of Rights.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Quote Originally Posted by LukeEDay View Post
    They still won't be able to make the church marry same sex couples.
    Gays will be lawyering up and churches will be facing legal fees if they stick to their guns and refuse to marry gays.

Another thing they have to look at also is that same sex marriage may be recognized by the state, but it is not recognized by the federal government. So good luck to the retards when they try to get their gay lovers benefits after they pass on.
    Getting rid of DOMA was all about breaking down the barriers and expanding federal benefits to same sex partners, this will include healthcare and social security survivors benefits. That is just the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Gays will be lawyering up and churches will be facing legal fees if they stick to their guns and refuse to marry gays.

Getting rid of DOMA was all about breaking down the barriers and expanding federal benefits to same sex partners, this will include healthcare and social security survivors benefits. That is just the beginning.

I'm pretty sure that the churches will be able to find lawyers to take their cases pro bono. Jay Sekulow will likely be filing paperwork against it all before he even has a client lined up.

There will be churches that refuse to marry gays, and churches that don't. The Unitarians will, so will the UCC, PBUSA, Episcopalian, Unity, etc.

That's because marriage, straight, gay or other, is not a right enumerated in either the Constitution nor the Bill of Rights.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    The marriage memo has already gone out.
    I'm sure that it went out prior to the last election, but Obama didn't have his current flexibility then.

Any time civil rights are put to a popular vote, it's not reasonable to expect the injured party to accept defeat.
    First, as Zathras pointed out, marriage is not an enumerated right in the Constitution. Second, when a court can overturn the Constitutions of the states or write law, then nothing else matters, because we no longer have civil rights. A court that can establish gay marriage as a right can establish polygamy as a right. It can establish whatever it feels like, because it has no constraints. We no longer govern ourselves, we are ruled by our elites. The decisions are decrees issued by our robed masters, but remember that fashion is fickle, and what the court gives you today, it can take back tomorrow. That's not to say that the court will reverse itself on gay marriage, but that it will continue to impose its will on us in ways that you may not enjoy in the future. After all, Justice Kennedy may decide that he doesn't like the Second Amendment in the next few years. You know how judges "evolve" in the face of popular pressure. Enjoy your new "right", but keep an eye on the old ones. You may not have them for long.

Nope, but it's now part of the penumbra of emanations of rights found in the imaginations of jurists.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the churches will be able to find lawyers to take their cases pro bono. Jay Sekulow will likely be filing paperwork against it all before he even has a client lined up.

There will be churches that refuse to marry gays, and churches that don't. The Unitarians will, so will the UCC, PBUSA, Episcopalian, Unity, etc.
    It doesn't matter if the lawyers donate their services, the judges are already in the bag. Kennedy's decision establishes that not only does the Supreme Court consider marriage to be whatever the current fashion says that it is, but that anyone who disagrees, for any reason, can only be a bigot.

There is a sequence error in your statement.
    Then elucidate. But first, answer the question: What is your definition of marriage, now that the definition that has been accepted at common law for the last couple of millenia no longer applies?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!